Newbie here...from Indiana

skrillah

Adventurer
Welcome...I'm here in Indiana too...though, living vicariously out west through this forum! I'm on the southwest side of Indy and down towards Bloomington a lot. Check out the "central states" section for more folks from Indiana/Midwest.

enzo

Explorer
There are tons of choices out there. Camping labs has great tents at reasonable prices. My first RTT was a Camping Labs and it worked well. I now have an ARB Simpson III and love it. A lot depends on your budget. These things go from $825 up to 5K. Search around this site as there are plenty of threads on RTTs in the camping gear section.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Welcome...I am also pretty new to the forum. Tons of info on here.
I have been doing a lot of research on RTTs (Roof Top Tents) and actually have decided against getting one. Reasons are cost, mounting/removal difficulty, reduced gas mileage, high mounted weight. I have decided to go with an OzTent instead. I like the ability with the OzTent (or any ground based tent) to leave the camp in the vehicle and not have to break camp. But that's just me. Plenty of people have RTTs and love them. :sombrero:

StarGazer

Observer
I have never understood how you can mount a tent on the roof given weight capacity, then adding the weight of two people???

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I have never understood how you can mount a tent on the roof given weight capacity, then adding the weight of two people???

Someone else can probably explain it better, but the way it has been explained to me is this: the difference between static and dynamic loading is why you can put more weight than the rating. Roof ratings are generally given in dynamic load, meaning while the vehicle is moving. The static load of the roof will be much greater due to not have the forces of a moving vehicle applied. Make sense? :Wow1:

Elbee

Adventurer
'm interested on how you mounted your front lights. Did you just drill into the stock bumper, or did you use some brackets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger