Newbie looking for advice

Do you have an “old school” short bed...6.5’? You’re already buying a shell. Add a BedRug, easy on your knees and adds a small degree of insulation. When you travel with kids set up the tent/alcove facing the tailgate, kids in the covered truck bed, you and the wife in the tent. When you go solo or two up, just sleep in the truck bed. Easy peasy, much less expensive than a rooftop tent. Add an awning or other items as you go along and find that you “really” need them.

P.S. Add some pics of the truck...sounds like a nice, basic, multi-use vehicle.

SitkaTundra

Do you have an “old school” short bed...6.5’? You’re already buying a shell. Add a BedRug, easy on your knees and adds a small degree of insulation. When you travel with kids set up the tent/alcove facing the tailgate, kids in the covered truck bed, you and the wife in the tent. When you go solo or two up, just sleep in the truck bed. Easy peasy, much less expensive than a rooftop tent. Add an awning or other items as you go along and find that you “really” need them.

P.S. Add some pics of the truck...sounds like a nice, basic, multi-use vehicle.

I do have the 6.5. Thanks for the bed rug advice. I’ll look into it. I’ll have to get some pics. Apparently all I have on my phone are pics of my kids?? Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cyph86

I have a bed rug and toppert for my 6.5ft bed silverado i will swear by it. If you want a little more padding some memory foam that you can roll out makes it almost as good as home!. As for ththe drawer system. I would suggest a diy to save money the premade ones are crazy $$ if you ask me. Or you might look for a used weatherguard pack rat. They are made for hauling tools so they are heavy duty and they pop up on craigs list for 500$ all the time. If you sand it and paint it its golden. If you dont like it it will resell on craigs list for 500 all day long. I myself sleep in the back of my truck when me and my wife go. No kids but a 60lb and 100lb dog tend to hog a decent amount of bed space and we manage. Hope this helped!

SitkaTundra

I have a bed rug and toppert for my 6.5ft bed silverado i will swear by it. If you want a little more padding some memory foam that you can roll out makes it almost as good as home!. As for ththe drawer system. I would suggest a diy to save money the premade ones are crazy $$ if you ask me. Or you might look for a used weatherguard pack rat. They are made for hauling tools so they are heavy duty and they pop up on craigs list for 500$ all the time. If you sand it and paint it its golden. If you dont like it it will resell on craigs list for 500 all day long. I myself sleep in the back of my truck when me and my wife go. No kids but a 60lb and 100lb dog tend to hog a decent amount of bed space and we manage. Hope this helped!

Thanks. I was considering diy. Found a video on YouTube of a cabinet maker building one for his truck and my father in law is a carpenter so I think we could pull that off.

SitkaTundra

Snapped a quick pic after the gym tonight. Will post more after I get the topper on.

96937345e93ca7e620d93420f9d04907.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears