Newbie looking for first rig (Rig acquired, now it's a build thread!)

xjchad

I looked at the airport fleet one last night: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/126431359113732

It looks like a solid rig. straight body, no rust, suspension feels tight. I checked the oil and trans fluid and they look normal and clean. It's a definite possible option!
The cons: no roof rack or rails at all, and no rear locker (but it does have 3.73 gears)

Do any of the GMT400's come with the factory rear locker? The few I've looked at so far didn't have it.

zgfiredude

Perhaps a question to ask on the Airport rig......vehicles such as that (emergency services/service vehicles) as a component of standard use can see a significant amount of run time vs. miles. You might inquire about HOW is was routinely used, and did that use include significant time idling.

xjchad

Perhaps a question to ask on the Airport rig......vehicles such as that (emergency services/service vehicles) as a component of standard use can see a significant amount of run time vs. miles. You might inquire about HOW is was routinely used, and did that use include significant time idling.

Hmmmm, good question! I did see an aftermarket hour meter in the dash, didn't catch what the reading was though. I'll ask him about that!

xjchad

So here's my 1999 Suburban K1500. 182k (mostly highway) miles, but well cared for and regularly serviced. I'm the third owner and the guy I bought it from, bought it from the limo company that he worked for and this is what he drove while working for them. It's the cleanest of any that I looked at by far. Has all the original tire iron and jack in place. I don't think it's ever been used because it still has the original GM cotton gloves in place as well. This rig is super comfortable and rides great. I'll start a new thread on it soon.
Thanks again for all the advice guys!

EyiiLSO.jpg

RoK0M3Y.jpg

UydzSka.jpg

QIIyNC0.jpg

x9Sem2U.jpg

xjchad

First thing I want to do is a full tune up.
Plugs, wires, etc, etc....
What brands/parts do you guys recommend for these rigs?

xjchad

I gotta say, I love this rig! It rides so nice and comfy!

I'm getting the garage cleaned out now so I can start working on it. Honestly, it doesn't need much. I replaced the wiper blades and wiper control module. The 4wd selector switch lights didn't work so I swapped that out.

Next will be a tune up. I know the oil was changed just before I bought it, but no idea about the other components, so full tune up is next, all AC Delco parts.
-Plugs
-Plug wires
-Cap and Rotor
-Air filter
-Fuel filter
-PCV valve
-O2 sensor (got a code that bank 2, sensor 2 O2 sensor was bad)

Once that's done, I'll start looking at some aftermarket mods.

Lift, keep it simple:
-I already have front lift keys coming from a buddy of mine.
-I'll probably add 2" blocks in the rear.
-Maybe a 2" body lift later.
QUESTION: What is a good budget shock that will work with 2-3" of lift???

Armor:
-Skid plates for the TC and gas tank.
-Bumpers and rock rails will be homemade.

Interior:
-CB radio
-Good floor mats
-Storage and organization
-First aid kit and emergency supplies

Exterior:
-Roof rack
-Awning
-Lighting

Please throw out any and all suggestions!! Thanks!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For floor mats I highly recommend Husky Floor Liners. I've had them on every vehicle I've owned since 2009 and I love them. Floor liners are always the first thing I order. Wife had the Weathertech liners on her old CR-V and I didn't like them as much, the Husky's are nice, less expensive and IMO they fit better. Makes the interior very easy to keep clean, too.

If you plan on towing a new (bigger) transmission cooler is a good idea.

Smileyshaun

Observer
That body style is super easy to make bumpers for that can keep a winch all nice and tucked in without sticking out like a fat lip .
And service that trans regularly and get a big trans cooler for it , heat is the Enemy on a auto trans Especially a 4L 60 E

xjchad

For floor mats I highly recommend Husky Floor Liners. I've had them on every vehicle I've owned since 2009 and I love them. Floor liners are always the first thing I order. Wife had the Weathertech liners on her old CR-V and I didn't like them as much, the Husky's are nice, less expensive and IMO they fit better. Makes the interior very easy to keep clean, too.

If you plan on towing a new (bigger) transmission cooler is a good idea.

I'll check out those Husky's, thanks!
The trans cooler is pretty big on this thing, I was surprised. I think it's quite a bit bigger than the 2000+ models. I don't plan on towing yet, but If I do, I'll swap it out.

That body style is super easy to make bumpers for that can keep a winch all nice and tucked in without sticking out like a fat lip .
And service that trans regularly and get a big trans cooler for it , heat is the Enemy on a auto trans Especially a 4L 60 E

That's great news! I'm not a fan of big, extravagant bumpers. I like to keep them low profile and practical. Although, since we do live in an area with a lot of wildlife, I will probably add a grill guard of some kind to protect the lights and radiator from deer/elk/moose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman