Newbie Montero SR Owner

Just bought a '95 Montero SR for the Wifey's new daily driver/Family Expedition Rig. Pretty stoked. I'm 2nd owner. Seems to have been pretty well taken care of. It has a small lift on it with 31's. I don't know when the timing belt was changed last. Currently @ 160k. That's a priority for sure. Burns a little oil too. Probably get a valve job done on it too. Hopefully the rings aren't bad! Bottom ends good? Anyone know? Anyway. I'll be doing things here and there. Here's a list of things I intend to do.

- Timing Belt/Head work
- Tranny flush and change all other fluids
- Floor Mats (recommendations?)
- Seat Covers (recommendations?)
- Rear Cargo Inspection Lamp
- A few dash bulbs
- HID Kit
- Yellow Top Optima
- Back up lights
- Replace as many exterior/interior bulbs with LEDs.
- Front and Rear Custom Bumpers/Sliders
- Cargo Management System
- Roof Rack modification

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of stuff!

Any feedback/recommendations is/are more than welcome!

Glad to join the crowd!

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Welcome to the club! :)

Bottom ends are stout - some Mitsus are notorious for valve stem seals giving up the ghost around 140-150k miles.

These are very durable trucks...and that's a nice engine too! :)

Welcome to the club! :)

Bottom ends are stout - some Mitsus are notorious for valve stem seals giving up the ghost around 140-150k miles.

These are very durable trucks...and that's a nice engine too! :)

Nice. Thanks, man. I'll probably do a cylinder leak down test just to be sure, but that's what I figured. It has an intermittent valve tick too. Hydraulic Lifters on these? I'm not looking forward to working on it, that's for sure. It looks like a pretty complicated engine. Online Mitchell Manual ******!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. Thanks, man. I'll probably do a cylinder leak down test just to be sure, but that's what I figured. It has an intermittent valve tick too. Hydraulic Lifters on these? I'm not looking forward to working on it, that's for sure. It looks like a pretty complicated engine. Online Mitchell Manual ******!
Forget the Mitchell, Chilton, or Haynes Manual. Download the actual Factory Service Manual from mitsubishi links dot com.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo. Lots of GEN II enthusiasts here with a wealth of info at your search fingertips. Make sure your spouse gets as much seat time as you do in your great-looking rig, else this is like buying her a fly rod for your anniversary.

Welcome to ExPo. Lots of GEN II enthusiasts here with a wealth of info at your search fingertips. Make sure your spouse gets as much seat time as you do in your great-looking rig, else this is like buying her a fly rod for your anniversary.

Haha! Yeah. She has heavily enforced that it's her DD, not mine. But that's okay. She turns more heads driving it than I do.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
how many quarts is needed for a tranny flush?

It's in the owner's manual, but I think capacity is 10L and change. Always best to have a couple extra on hand. FYI, the "Castrol Multi Import" meets the Mitsu requirements. They sell it almost everywhere (I hate WalMart, but they do carry it, and it's like $5/liter).

This is one place I don't mind splurging, as long as it's for a good reason...transmissions are a pain to work on and expensive to replace. My fluid was bright red when I bought my truck, so I don't have to worry about it quite yet - but when I have the money, it will be getting the Royal Purple treatment and a second trans cooler. If you do any serious wheeling (4Lo, locked, moving slow and using all the TQ the engine and gearing can provide), double up on the trans coolers. HEAT is what kills auto boxes. Keeping it 20 degrees cooler can make it last 50% longer.

I've got the stock auto transmission in the Volvo in my signature...400 lb/ft and 4 years of racing (both drag and standing mile, 2-mile) on it and it STILL works. Giant fluid cooler and Royal Purple. Hasn't failed me yet! :)

It's in the owner's manual, but I think capacity is 10L and change. Always best to have a couple extra on hand. FYI, the "Castrol Multi Import" meets the Mitsu requirements. They sell it almost everywhere (I hate WalMart, but they do carry it, and it's like $5/liter).

This is one place I don't mind splurging, as long as it's for a good reason...transmissions are a pain to work on and expensive to replace. My fluid was bright red when I bought my truck, so I don't have to worry about it quite yet - but when I have the money, it will be getting the Royal Purple treatment and a second trans cooler. If you do any serious wheeling (4Lo, locked, moving slow and using all the TQ the engine and gearing can provide), double up on the trans coolers. HEAT is what kills auto boxes. Keeping it 20 degrees cooler can make it last 50% longer.

I've got the stock auto transmission in the Volvo in my signature...400 lb/ft and 4 years of racing (both drag and standing mile, 2-mile) on it and it STILL works. Giant fluid cooler and Royal Purple. Hasn't failed me yet! :)

What does it take to add a second trans cooler? What fluid would you use from Royal Purple? I have a '84 245 Volvo with the 2.1L turbo. What engine was in the 850? 2.3?

TheAntiChrome

Hey another NW guy! I am a little south o you and currently combing CL for a nice gen2, I was worried you were the one who snagged the pristine green one for $1500 a month or so ago, I was gonna rag on you lol. Anyway nice Montero and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

~joe

Hey another NW guy! I am a little south o you and currently combing CL for a nice gen2, I was worried you were the one who snagged the pristine green one for $1500 a month or so ago, I was gonna rag on you lol. Anyway nice Montero and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

~joe

I tried getting that one! They never contacted me back. I found this one at a dealership in Portland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman