NEWBIE NEEDS HELP! FJ Cruiser Vs. 4Runner Trail Edition?

bergx7

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time member/poster. You guys are a great wealth of information. You have already helped me on my vehicle search (even if you didn't know it :))

I have basically narrowed my choices down to FJ Cruiser or a new 4runner Trail Edition (Or purchasing a 05-up V6 or V8 SR5 and putting an ARB rear air locker in it).

Background: I need to get a work car and I have been debating between an SUV and a sedan. Since I enjoy camping/backpacking/exploring/geocaching/offroading (not hardcore rockcrawling but some medium range trails) I am leaning towards the SUV. My company pays a good mileage rate so gas is not a huge issue (though I would tend to get the more fuel efficient model in a given SUV range)

That being said, this vehicle would spend most of its time on the road (highway) driving to meet with clients (probably wont need to bus clients around at all but it's a remote possibility) so it needs to be comfortable and easy to live with.

These two Toyotas are known for being fairly bulletproof, comfortable and great offroad. Comparing the two of them: they weigh the same, get almost the same mpg (4runner is less of a brick so it gets 1 mpg better at 16/20 mpg), and have the same engine. Furthermore, they both have Toyota's highly capable locking torsion-based 4WD with rear diff lock and A-TRAC offroad traction control system (almost as good as having a front locker as well).

Now I have driven an FJ and it was great (felt somewhat like a touareg, very solid and well built and not harsh at all). The interior is also very cool (easy to wash out, simple switchgear, retro styling). However, I am not a big fan of the exterior styling (although it had grown on me). Furthermore, the rear seat entry is highly compromised by having to open the front doors to get the rear doors open. The 4runner solves both of these issues, however it costs 5-6k more! (Could find an FJ around $23-24k The 4runner would be $29-30k). It also doesn't seem to have enough headroom with the sunroof (I am 6'6"). Non-sunroof models have more but they are hard to find so I would probably have to order one...which means less leeway for price negotiation. It is also somehow more cramped feeling than the FJ. Furthermore, the interior doesn't look as nice nor is it laid out as well (FJ has simple rotary HVAC knobs while the 4runner has silly star shaped multi button arrangement). But the longer wheelbase would probably be more comfortable for highway cruises and there is a bit more rear seat room if I had passengers and/or camping gear.

I should mention that either vehicle will be lifted slightly (3in or so) and appropriately armored (bumper, skids, etc).

What do you all think? Any first hand experience comparing the two? If I went with the 4runner, should I just get a used non-sunroof SR5? V8 or V6? Sorry for all the questions. I look forward to hearing your wise thoughts :bowdown:

704_2685.jpg

Trail Edition 4runner

IMG_1880.JPG

Roughly what I am going for if I went 4runner (minus the huge roof rack)

1280.jpg

Roughly what I am going for if i went FJ (Substitute BFG AT tires for those MTs)

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I havent driven an FJ and I havent driven a 4runner for a while,but I would get the 4runner for its rear doors.
Its going to be much easier with clients.
Also,if the FJ goes out of production as rumoured,the resale will crash.

T4Rfun

I have an 06 V8 4Runner and I love it. I've taken this rig on everything from mild to wild trails and it continues to impress. I have driven the FJ and liked it as well, but I also wanted something that would be comfortable for passengers, (family trips) and could tow my ski boat. The 4Runner fit the bill and I did a considerable amount of research before purchasing this truck, as I was planning an expedition style build and I wanted the right platform to start. The 4Runner was of course my choice based on some of the points you've already mentioned as well as those few extra I listed above. It is the last of the true body on frame SUV's and it's trail/street manners as well as the quality of it's build is well known.

Another important consideration for me was the cargo room and overall vehicle size. The FJ is a nice compact size, but doesn't offer much interior room for cargo. The 4Runner itself is a bit tight for a true extended expedition vehicle, but for most moderate trips it works out great. With myself and one passenger, I have of course plenty of cargo space, but with passengers filling the back seats, cargo loading becomes an art. I don't want to pull a trailer, so the FJ was out of the question for me on this point.

If you buy the 4Runner, get the V8. You won't be sorry.

Here are a few pics of my 4Runner. These are older shots as the build has continued since then, but it gives you an idea of what you can do...well beyond the ARB marketing truck (originally my inspiration as well).

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
We've had both an '06 4Runner V8, and 2 different FJ's so far. The 4Runner can be an amazing off road vehicle. We didn't use ours off road much, but with a few mods it'll go just about anywhere. Our FJ is (of course) an amazing off road truck. It's extremely capable right off the lot (with decent tires), and will do anything you need it to.

I just took our TRD over 1500 miles to Texas & back & it was great on the highway (even w/a 3" lift). It's not quite as comfy as the 4Runner, but it's very acceptable. The rear doors on the FJ are an acquired taste, they take some getting used to, but once you do they're not a big deal. For us, the 4Runner is a little too 'refined' to do much off roading in. It seemed more sedan like than truck like. Just my opinion :)

I guess it comes down to this. If you want a true 4x4/off road vehicle that's still great around town: FJ Cruiser. If you prefer an SUV that's a little more comfy and still capable: 4Runner.

Either way you won't be disappointed :)

Good luck!

BriansFJ

Adventurer
I think it comes down to personal preferences. My FJ has been from Colorado Springs to Yellowstone and back, and for the first year I had it my commute was 50 miles round trip each day. That being said, I had no problems on the highway. As Shane said, the off-road capability is phenomenal. I haven't driven the latest generation 4Runners, but I personally think I'd be afraid to take that much nice sheetmetal off-road... My 2 cents. You'll have fun either way!:smiley_drive:

sseaman

Adventurer
I would go with the 4runner, for the rear seating to be easier to get in and out, and it seems a lot of people don't like the visibility out of the FJ.

cydonia-jacc

Observer
We love our FJ but I would recommend the 4Runner. The extra room and four true doors would be the biggest reasons. With the modifications your planning I don't think you will see a big difference off-road. The rear seats of the FJ work out well for our two sons (ages 6 and 8) but asking adults to climb back there might get embarrassing in a client situation. The only reason we went with the FJ over the 4Runner or LC is we needed the vehicle to be as light as possible because we tow it behind our motorhome. Our FJ is my wife's daily driver. She is an art teacher so the styling is a big hit with her but I think the 4Runner is slightly more attractive. Keep us posted.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
4Runner TE. The rear doors are a pain if you have to use them on a regular basis (on the FJ). I equate this to choosing between an extended cab vs. double cab on the Tacoma's.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
You already mentioned the issue that pushed us over to the FJC after initially thinking we wanted to buy a 4Runner: headroom. I am 6'4", and don't fit in a 4Runner comfortably, but I do have plenty of headroom in an FJC.

The FJC does have some compromises, many of which you already mentioned. But, it is a very capable vehicle for most anything short of hard-core rock crawling (and there are people who will push it to the limit in that domain as well).

T4Rfun

You already mentioned the issue that pushed us over to the FJC after initially thinking we wanted to buy a 4Runner: headroom. I am 6'4", and don't fit in a 4Runner comfortably, but I do have plenty of headroom in an FJC.

I'll agree with headroom on the entry. I'm only 5'11" and I have to enter carefully, once in I have plenty of headroom. My son is 6'1" and he is also good with headroom, but I can see that this might be an issue. Entry is effected of course by seat height as well as interior headroom, and I usually have my seat height high to almost topped out. I like the height especially on the trail for the view over the hood and front bumper hoops. On the street I usually run the seat just a bit lower. Bottom line, I think the door entry is a bit of a consideration for those that are taller.

haven

Expedition Leader
Nobody mentioned outward visibility yet.

I think seeing out of the 4Runner is just OK, but the outward visibility of the FJC is poor. You can forget about seeing anything to the rear or rear quarters in the FJC. (I would not want to try backing up on a shelf road!) And the high hoodline makes it difficult to see obstacles that are close to the front of the truck. So the 4Runner gets my vote.

Chip Haven

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
I guess it comes down to this. If you want a true 4x4/off road vehicle that's still great around town: FJ Cruiser. If you prefer an SUV that's a little more comfy and still capable: 4Runner.

I think Shane summed it up pretty good right there...

We have an FJC and love it. If this vehicle is going to be your family 4 seat transport, get the 4runner. If you already have a car, 4dr truck, etc. get the FJ. My only complaint about the FJ is the visibility as many other owners will agree. Once you get used to it and know where your blind spots are it is very comfortable and confident around town.

Also as stated before, the FJ is up on the chopping block. I feel this means your resale will skyrocket since these are still very popular trucks and they always will be. You won't have to worry about aftermarket support either since it will always be there.

Good luck and don't let them shaft you!

cid 96

Observer
4Runner

As mentioned before, get the V8 4runner, AT, disc brakes, A-TRAC, Rear locker, the only thing missing is the front axle.

I had a '06 V8 sport 4Runner and it was the best driving Toyota I have ever had. It got totaled in a wreck.

Sid

sseaman

Adventurer
Nobody mentioned outward visibility yet.

I think seeing out of the 4Runner is just OK, but the outward visibility of the FJC is poor. You can forget about seeing anything to the rear or rear quarters in the FJC. (I would not want to try backing up on a shelf road!) And the high hoodline makes it difficult to see obstacles that are close to the front of the truck. So the 4Runner gets my vote.

Chip Haven

This was briefly covered.

bergx7

As mentioned before, get the V8 4runner, AT, disc brakes, A-TRAC, Rear locker, the only thing missing is the front axle.

I had a '06 V8 sport 4Runner and it was the best driving Toyota I have ever had. It got totaled in a wreck.

Sid

If I go the 4runner route it is tempting to just find a 05-on (newer engine) SR5 V8 without sunroof (still have to drive one to check headroom). Is there any reason to get the new Trail Edition in lieu of a used one other than the rear locker? (I figure I could hook up a used V8 with ARB on board air and rear locker for less than a brand new V6 TE). I assume the ATRAC works the same in all of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle