NEWBIE NEEDS HELP! FJ Cruiser Vs. 4Runner Trail Edition?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
... I know there isn't a lot of love here for the FJ as an overlanding vehicle, but I've never seen anything more capable straight out of the box....

There are lots: G-wagen, Jeep Rubicon (cheeper and alot more capable), previous gen TRD Taco, Dodge Power Wagon... and that's the short list...

So I just have to ask, does it have to be a NEW NEW truck??? I am just of the mind that since we all tend to completely re-invent the wheel in alot of respects and modify our trucks, why don't you start with the best build platform form the get go for less money and then add all the goodies and features it doesn't have to your liking.

Basicly, if you want cushy inside, go with a 3RD gen 4Runner and then build to suit. It'll still be cheeper and will be a better truck because it's built to your specs and you won't be limited by cost issues. They're plenty nice inside, the 3.4 can be SC'd if you need more power, throw in an ARB or LSD up front and frankly for less than an FJC you'd have a truck that has better visibility and access and would walk all over the FJ.

If you're ok with 2 doors and limited rear acces (wich I guess you are because you mentioned the FJC) why not build a 1ST GEN 4Runner. They have a far better chasis and while the motors are down on power for all the money you would'nt be spending at the stealership or just in general on a new truck, you could put any number of Toyota motors including the 1KZt-E diesel and have about as good a 4x4 as there is. Serriously, the frame alone under the 1/2nd gen Runners and accompanying P/U's (and 3rd gen Runners??? can't remember when they started skimping on the frames) are VASTLY superior to the newer trucks. and you could build the interior to suit you.

Want room, build a 60 series or find and build an FZJ80.

Maybe it's just me, but I literaly see no use in buying a newer trucks these days. I guess if you're hopeless in the garage then a waranty is noce, but here's a little secret: if maintained and built with durability in mind, an older Toyota will never go down on you ;)

For a dollar spent to performance comparision: if I had 20K to build a truck, the FJC you'd have for the same money couldn't hold a candle to what I could build.

1st or second Gen Runner (depending on if I needed 2/4 doors)
1KZT Diesel
F/R lockers
OME suspension (or a SAS if I really wanted to play with it)
Aux fuel tank
Armor
etc...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears