Newbie Question - 99 F-350 7.3 (DRW) as overland platform

consult

I just inherited (free to me) a 99 F-350, 7.3 (DRW) with 144,000 miles; it is chipped with upgraded injectors and a 5 inch exhaust. As my first overland vehicle is this a good platform to build on or would you recommend I sell it and purchase a different more appropriate vehicle?

Any advice or comments are appreciated, thank you

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Welcome to ExPo and congratulations on the freebie, sounds like an awesome rig.

Is it 4x4? In order to effectively answer the question we will need more information about what you intend to use it for. "Overland" means a lot of different things, sort of like "food" or "music".

Off hand I will say that those trucks are prolific as off road and tow rigs, both in long and short wheelbase form. It's common to see them converted to SRW and have campers added, either slide in or Tiger etc. If it's in good shape it should make a fine platform to start with, the real question is do YOU love the truck? If so then there's no reason to look any further.

I'll let the Ford guys follow up with the more technical stuff.

tkrrox

It would make a terrible expo rig. I will take it off your hands for reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

consult

Its a 4X4 long bed; I was going for mild off-roading with a lift, bed racks with a RTT - was unsure if the dual rear wheels would be a problem for off-roading? It was my fathers truck since new, so I know the maintenance was done. Just unsure about dual rears??

F350joe

The dual rears can grab large rocks and the extra wide stance can be a problem on narrow roads with trees or drop offs. Also, thats two more tires to go flat and worse mpg. Its a great truck though and probably worth a rear axel swap. 144k is really just getting broken in and you be hard pressed to find that power and economy in another package unless you went new and spend a lot more money. Pics!

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
That sounds like the perfect truck for what you have in mind and more. I agree with F350joe, duallys are not good in mud or on rocks, which is basically every non-paved road. They get stuck easily and trow crap everywhere. I'll probably get get slammed for this but they make terrible ORV's and are a one trick pony in my opinion, the only real option for towing and good for little else.

Super Singles on the other hand are AWESOME! They can carry a ton of weight, get insane traction in all conditions and just plain look cool. Somebody on here did a SRW F-Series with a Tiger on it... it was amazing. I'll see if I can find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12