Newbie - Slow but Sure F150 Build

bdbecker

Adventurer
where'd u get the lights and how much? they look like the ones from snappy lights on ebay

Yeah, they are. Funds are tight, and I figured I'd give them a shot for the cost. Actually pretty impressed with the quality so far, time will tell how well they hold up. Worse case I learn my lesson, and I already have the electrical ran for a better setup in the future.

WVF150

Observer
Just read your entire thread. Your truck build is coming along awesome. I like what you have done so far. I see you are moving forward positively rather than backing up like I have in a few projects of mine. Great job and I will be following your thread as I have a f150 with a 4.6 also.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
Yeah, they are. Funds are tight, and I figured I'd give them a shot for the cost. Actually pretty impressed with the quality so far, time will tell how well they hold up. Worse case I learn my lesson, and I already have the electrical ran for a better setup in the future.

the only thing im not sure about is i dont wanna get the chrome ones and have a bunch of rust pits in them after winter, suppose i could get chrome and if they rust then just paint 'em black

bdbecker

Adventurer
Just read your entire thread. Your truck build is coming along awesome. I like what you have done so far. I see you are moving forward positively rather than backing up like I have in a few projects of mine. Great job and I will be following your thread as I have a f150 with a 4.6 also.

Thanks. Do you have a build thread started? I'd be interested to see what you are up to.

the only thing im not sure about is i dont wanna get the chrome ones and have a bunch of rust pits in them after winter, suppose i could get chrome and if they rust then just paint 'em black

I guess I didn't even think about that. I don't like chrome to start out with, so it made choosing the black ones easy.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
im not really about chrome either but my truck has alot of chrome trim on it along with my brushguard so i figured i'd keep it going

bdbecker

Adventurer
Roof Rack for Topper

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/usrack/canopy_racks_and_carriers.htm

canopy2e.jpg

For the price ($309 shipped), this could be the ticket. I figure I could add a wind deflector to the front, and work up some internal support posts that place the load on the bed rails of my truck instead of on the topper, and I could be well on my way having a functional and structurally sound roof rack without breaking the bank (either on a buying a purpose built basket or getting the necessary tools and materials to build my own). I plan on using it to store my spare tire and maybe a low profile, water tight, lockable cargo box for misc storage.

bdbecker

Adventurer
Finally got around to putting new rear shocks and tires all around. The Timberlines weren't totally worn out, but they wouldn't be much good in the snow (they weren't very good last year).

Here's the new freshly installed Monroe Gas Magnums. I have them on the front and was really happy with how they ride. (Side note - I was also happy to find that I am able to get a full size spare underneath).

IMG_5425.jpg

Good thing I put the new shocks on, the stud snapped off with almost no pressure applied to the wrench. At first I thought either the socket wasn't on the nut or the nut itself was loose. It made removing it easy.

IMG_5420.jpg

What started as a quick run around the block to see how the new shocks felt turned into a 3 hour cruise around the South Dakota countryside on minimum maintainence roads. I probably did 40 miles with only minimum travel on gravel roads and almost no pavement. Yeah, it's not that remote, and its not that difficult, but it was a lot of fun. The roads were deceptively muddy, but the Treadwright Warden's cut right through and kept me moving. I only dropped it into 4WD for a few of the deeper areas. Here are a few pictures from early in the ride, I ended up covering the ole girl from head to toe in mud by the time I headed back home. Cost me almost $10 to get her clean at the car wash (yes, I used the outdoor bay).

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

Last edited:

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
so its been over a month now, how are the lights holding up? any condensation in the lenses? blown bulbs yet? and do you have any in cab night pics?

bdbecker

Adventurer
so its been over a month now, how are the lights holding up? any condensation in the lenses? blown bulbs yet? and do you have any in cab night pics?

So far so good. The only issue I've had so far was that the screws that hold the lense on were starting to rust. I shot them with a little black spray paint and they are looking good. I figure I'll get some stainless hardware one of these days, just haven't got around to it yet.

Here are some in cab pics I took a few weeks ago.

Just headlights:
IMG_5372.jpg

Headlights and Lamps:
IMG_5373.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my camera is great except for the fact that it can't take a decent night photo to save its life. As you can kind of see, the lights add a little long range visibilty, but what they do a really good job of lighting up everything in the immediate area - I'm fine with this because I don't plan on running 75 mph through the desert anytime soon, day or night.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
thanks, i keep saying im gonna buy them but never get around to it and i just had to drop some unwanted cash on my daily driver which didn't make me too happy, but i would like to get them before winter for some backwoods snow wheelin

bdbecker

Adventurer
Speaking of snow-wheeling, last weekend all I had to do was drive 240 miles on public roads. Only took me 7 hours to get home. Dad works for the county and he was out plowing roads, so after I plowed the foot of snow off the driveway for him, I took these pics.

IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
nice, looks like you guys got about as much snow as we did, heres the light i went with, they are $12 rubber work lights with the spotlight pattern,

Photo865.jpg

heres the head lights

Photo867.jpg

and with headlights, brights and aux lights

Photo869.jpg

Photo873.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12