Newbie with questions

CCC

Hi All

First Post so here goes.

Been looking for a truck camper for a while but have struggled with knowledge about these rigs......well that has been solved since I stumbled across this great site. I still amazed at the info that you guys have put on this site,its been a great help!! .

A little about me, I live in Northwest Western Australia, Have lived here for about 8 yeasr and plan to leave here in 2.5 years for a trip around Australia. When I say trip around Australia I'm talking about selling everything and travelling until we get sick of being on the road:).

That leads me to a few questions that I have in regards to a Isuzu NPS 300 (Year 2000) that has come up for sale. I've checked it over and the mechanicals are all good but there are a few bits of concern that maybe you guys can help me with?

It maybe nothing but a second set of eyes would be good. Overall the Chassis has no cracks or damage and appears to be in good condition but there is some spots at the rear where there is a little rust where plates are rivited to the chassis. The rust is wedged between the two plates. Same problem on the rear axle. My thoughts was to pour some rust converter type product over these areas then paint? Whats your thoughts (se pics below)

Could be more hiding behind here/

Second question relates to the super singles that are on it. My understanding is that the only approved rims are the All Terrain Warrior ones. I got a quote from them to do the full conversion with Engineering(Nice guys,happy to go with them if need be). Thing is it already has Super Single so would be nice not to have to buy them again,would still need to do the air tank,speedo etc. Anyhow I dont know who made the rims. They are stamped with "WIL E DOT 19.5x8.25AA 0172" . Does anyone know how I could find out there rating etc.

Thanks in advance....hope I posted this in the right place if not let me know and I'll move it.

Cheer
Chris

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Hi CCC welcome to the site! the more the better, just watch out for Stu! don't tell him your truck is beige in color.

regarding the rust between the brackets the only way to fix it 100% is to drill out rivets remove brackets bead blast paint and bolt back together, its a painful exercise but if you want to keep the vehicle long term its the way to go! rust kill and paint will slow it down for a few years but then the resale value is going to be lower. if you want to keep the 6 ton rating then ATW is the only wheels available, if you derate it then alloys are available in 16 x 8.

CCC

Hi Alan
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if you can legally bolt the bits back or do they need to be re-riveted.
I really want to buy this truck but dont want to end up with to many headaches.
Cheers
Chris

alan

Explorer
Yes you can bolt them back on with no problem, just use high tensile bolts. John from ATW is an expert at removing the rivets:)

blackduck

Explorer
Obviously it is not just Stu that likes to push other people's buttons... ;)

Push buttons ME ????
I just happen to know this is how John got started in he business
he held the chisel and someone else had the hammer
john would nod his head and the other guy would hit it

Welcome chris
planning to sell up and hit the road
what a wonderful idea
just make sure you don't end up with grand kids
nothing ruins a traveling lifestyle than the wife missing the grandkids
after 8 years of traveling I ended up selling the van
I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE WIFE

Anyway welcome to the mad house
if you cant learn it here it aint worth knowing :wings:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Chris,

Firstly, welcome from me too. Where are you exactly?

That's a great model truck that you've bought. Dave (1engine) has one of the same year. I'd PM him for tips. He's a marine engineer/mechanic and is extremely switched on to the issues relating to them. So anyway, I'd be trying to do the best job possible to save it from further corrosion . It certainly looks worth saving.

Re: wheels....did you contact George that runs our Perth office? I know the WA engineer is pretty strict on things over there so make sure you get the right information. Wasn't the vehicle affixed with a WA mod plate when the old wheels were fitted originally???

Regards
John

PS.....I do not like rivets!!!

CCC

Thanks John, I have not brought the truck as yet.
It needs a bit of work nothing major. I dont think it got engineered when the wheels were fitted.
Cheers Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179