Next vehicle - lessons learned - help me get it right next time?

Ultralite

Adventurer
I'm a long term planner and like to review lessons learned. I'm planning my next purchase but still relatively new to backcountry exploration.

Here's the background:

I have a '69 VW Westy that I have taken off-road through door deep mud. Awesome time but it's not the right tool for the job. And getting to and from the trail is too hot in the summer time South (for me anyway).

I also have an '01 Suburban that I have taken off road. I LOVE driving this thing on the interstate though. It's a QUIET, leather comfort ride. But it's getting long in the tooth and I'm planning its replacement.

Though I've taken both off-road, I'm very new to the scene. So I don't know much about the other platforms out there.

Here's the criteria I'm trying to line up:
1. I'm willing to buy new though I prefer used. And budget is pretty flexible.
2. I would like a quiet ride on highways. We're in the Southeast and plan to take trips out west so reduced road noise helps to reduce long drive fatigue. So I can't imagine I would like to drive say a Wrangler that far.
3. I'm getting old and my desire for comfort has increased over time. Since I'd like to have the vehicle for a long time, I expect this trend to continue.
4. I would like a platform where I could sleep 2 adults comfortably and I'm willing to go for aftermarket sleep systems like the Ursa tops, etc.
5. While my wife and I are interested in off-roading and camping, we're not looking to do any technical rock climbing on purpose. I understand it may happen during exploration but I'm not drawn to that activity in general.
6. I'd like to be able to get the vehicle into urban parking garages. Vans, especially camping ones, seem to often push that limit.
7. Gas mileage isn't my biggest criteria but the high teens would be a good target.
8. While I do a lot of my own maintenance and repair, I'd rather spend time exploring. Hence my willingness to buy newer.
9. And following on my last point, though I love the awesome vehicles I see on this portal, I've often wondered how much of the equipment I see is overkill. My VW has taught me the joy of simplicity. I expect I could get away with a mostly stock vehicle.

But which one?

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Always a fun topic!

Don't give up on a nice 4x4 van. Certainly they won't fit in a lot of garages, but neither will just about anything that you might have on your list.

A nice Sportmobile RB will give you plenty of room, nice highway ride, decent fuel economy and easy parts availability. They are easy to drive in the city when necessary and more than capable off road.

If you can give up parking in 6'6" parking garages, I think it is a great choice!

Course I is biased... :)

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
An 80 might not meet the low maintenance/new vehicle criteria. My Xterra meets all the mentioned criteria but most SUV would now days.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

UHAULER

Explorer
I would look at late model Chevy/GMC AWD vans. Check out the van section, there are some nice AWD vans.

155mm

Adventurer
Maybe stick with a new Suburban? It seems like your only complaint is that your old one is getting long in the tooth.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I'm a long term planner and like to review lessons learned. I'm planning my next purchase but still relatively new to backcountry exploration.

Here's the background:

I have a '69 VW Westy that I have taken off-road through door deep mud. Awesome time but it's not the right tool for the job. And getting to and from the trail is too hot in the summer time South (for me anyway).

I also have an '01 Suburban that I have taken off road. I LOVE driving this thing on the interstate though. It's a QUIET, leather comfort ride. But it's getting long in the tooth and I'm planning its replacement.

Though I've taken both off-road, I'm very new to the scene. So I don't know much about the other platforms out there.

Here's the criteria I'm trying to line up:
1. I'm willing to buy new though I prefer used. And budget is pretty flexible. WK can be had for as little as $10000 for a V8, WK2 is going to be more
2. I would like a quiet ride on highways. We're in the Southeast and plan to take trips out west so reduced road noise helps to reduce long drive fatigue. So I can't imagine I would like to drive say a Wrangler that far. Both WK/WK2 are composed on road...WK2 would be better on road since it is IFS and IRS. WK is IFS/Straight axle. All have plenty of power and get decent fuel economy. WK and WK2 have diesel options.
3. I'm getting old and my desire for comfort has increased over time. Since I'd like to have the vehicle for a long time, I expect this trend to continue. See above...
4. I would like a platform where I could sleep 2 adults comfortably and I'm willing to go for aftermarket sleep systems like the Ursa tops, etc. RTT would be the best option for a WK and WK2
5. While my wife and I are interested in off-roading and camping, we're not looking to do any technical rock climbing on purpose. I understand it may happen during exploration but I'm not drawn to that activity in general. I have rock crawled with my WK and it does great....
6. I'd like to be able to get the vehicle into urban parking garages. Vans, especially camping ones, seem to often push that limit. Even with a 3 inch lift on WK I can make it in parking garages. WK2 has a Quadra Lift suspension which would allow you to run a RTT and lift for off road situations.
7. Gas mileage isn't my biggest criteria but the high teens would be a good target. V8 WK/WK2 options do well....WK/WK2 diesel options do better
8. While I do a lot of my own maintenance and repair, I'd rather spend time exploring. Hence my willingness to buy newer. I have not had any major issues on my WK with 82,000 miles...Jeep has gotten a lot better
9. And following on my last point, though I love the awesome vehicles I see on this portal, I've often wondered how much of the equipment I see is overkill. My VW has taught me the joy of simplicity. I expect I could get away with a mostly stock vehicle. Stock WK/WK2 will go a lot of places...WK I believe needs a simple OEM 3" lift and 32" tires. WK2 with Quadra Lift is very capable.

But which one?

WK/WK2 Grand Cherokee? See my responses above.

Townsend

Observer
100 Series Land Cruiser - Most of the pros of an 80 series, with even more reliability and comfort. The 100 will be my next LC having already owned (and regretfully sold) an 80 series.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Planning and dreaming; fun times!

It is never this simple...but

Q1) Do you want to live in your vehicle or around your vehicle. If you want to live around, the choices are nearly endless and I will not progress down that route for now. If you want to live in, then that requires cooking, sleeping, and sitting within the vehicle:

Q2) 2wd or 4wd. Sounds like you want to explore, while 2wd is capeable 4wd is a huge level of security on that front. So say 4wd.

Q3) Do you want a pass through or not.
no - there are many p/u camper options
yes - choices begin to limit, and start to get more expensive. Think customized Van, ER, Tiger, GXV etc

Q4) If yes to Q3 and if clearance is really an issue then you are looking at a customized van of sorts. Things narrow a bit to maybe SMB with a pop top (variety of manuf, including ford, nissan, MB etc. ) or one of the many other outfitters (Outside Van) of vans. These would also meet your comfort level criteria as well. The 2015 4wd Sprinter has my attention at the moment.

Ya get what you pay for. GL :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
12240298924_aacc6b7b41_b.jpg

GX-470
Low mileage options available
Legendary reliability (basically it's a Land Cruiser Prado)
Plenty of room for 2 adults
V-8 Power w/16(ish) on the highway with +1 tires
VERY Comfortable
Enough aftermarket to upgrade for exploration
A little pricier than other options, but you won't regret it :)

http://www.tctmagazine.net/january-...70-family-adventure-and-ski-transport-f-a-s-t

Allof75

Pathfinder
I recommend a Lexus GX or Jeep Grand Cherokee (both previously mentioned), but a 2nd gen Xterra, and certainly R50 pathfinder like mine would work as well. Look at my build for more info, as an Infiniti QX4 should certainly fill the luxury requirement too.

Ultralite

Adventurer
These suggestions are great. I appreciate it because I didn't really have a good list to start researching. I've always been into old cars (grew up in American muscle, VWs, and one old BMW) and just don't know much about SUVs. But my Suburban and Westy opened my eyes to off road adventures. So when I buy my first tool for that specific job I'd like to choose well and for the long run.

While I will probably do more mileage getting out West, I'll probably go more frequently in the South (mountains). My Suburban seems a tad long for the few roads I've been on, it was tight in places and the wheel base seems a little long. I was afraid of bottoming out at times. But that could be because I don't have much off road driving skill yet. I'm willing to try it again.

But when I accidentally took my Westy mud riding it seemed so maneuverable, wheel base wise. So my limited knowledge seems to bias me in the shorter wheelbase direction.

In terms of "pass thru" inside and access; I imagine that we would only do that when we're in really bad weather. Say you pull in late at night, wind and rain howling, and just shimmy back to the sleeping platform. I did that on a road trip in my Suburban one time and it was great. This was just a road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had prearranged the back for sleeping, when we got to the campsite it was gross. But there was plenty of space to just scoot back and relax. Otherwise, we typically cook outside and do everything else outside.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Years ago I used to go to this great British car show here in GA. I remember seeing some old Land Rovers with the Dormobile top. I thought those were a great idea. Too bad they were all rusty and British :)

Ultralite

Adventurer
I recommend a Lexus GX or Jeep Grand Cherokee (both previously mentioned), but a 2nd gen Xterra, and certainly R50 pathfinder like mine would work as well. Look at my build for more info, as an Infiniti QX4 should certainly fill the luxury requirement too.
Love that avatar! I've got a JC channel on Pandora. My 2 kids can sing all of his songs. We belt them out together as we ride down the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12