Nice day exploring the Superstitions

louxwe

Second adventure out in El Toro Negro, drove up the loop route in the Sups, Montana Mountain, up to Rodgers Trough and then a 9 mile hike round trip to see some indian cliff ruins, pretty cool (minus the piece of $hit little yappy rodent dog that bit me.... seriously what kind of psychopath names their dog Jeff). Lots of dry river beds that looked like they would be fun to cross, does anyone know when those have some (not too much) water running in them. Found some steeper hills and stuff and the end to play on and test out some of the off road features on the 4Runner, used the hill decent mode, 4 low, ATRAC, didn't really find anything that would need the rear lockers....
Overall I really have to say I love this vehicle, it just eats up the trail and the ICON suspension is Amazing.

Excited to start building on it but not sure what I should work on next? I am going to flush the brake fluid today, I just added the Little Passenger rear seats for a third row in the back, have some new mats coming. Would have really liked to be able to air down/up, but would probably want to install a second battery system first, also want to get a rear bumper and get the tire out from under and then armor up the bottom... not sure which things would have more priority.

Here is a link to some video from the day.
https://vimeo.com/146528664

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
looks like a cool day trip....nothing like desert exploring when the temps are cool
thanks for the writeup & video

DVD

Adventurer
That's a great hike. I love having lunch at the ruins and soaking in the history. Thanks for the great report.

Matman

How ironic that you'd post this! I was just wishing for some more recent footage of the 357 to 172/172s to FR 650 so I can get a feel for trail conditions. Am I correct that clockwise is preferred? I was told there was some sketchy off camber climbs so let me know on that too, I think the person had mistaken this one with some other trail.

Nice hiking out there as well as back country camping, I had no idea!

Any reason a full size (wide body and long wheelbase, raptor) 4x4 truck would have issues (pin striping, narrow passages?)

louxwe

No I didn't think the part I was on was very difficult at all, should have no problem, stock high clearance would be fine, with a long wheelbase you might have a couple of tight turns but very doable, I didn't do the full loop, was running short on time and saw some cool small hills to play around on and climb, wanted to try out 4low and the 4runners hill descent mode and get a little muddy. Yeah tons of stuff to see and do, lots of dry stream crossings, really want to go back in the spring and get a bit wet.

Matman

Full loop was a blast, no issues in a full size 4 door f150. Took 5 hours with a 30 min lunch stop at the stone cabin on the way out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears