Nissan Frontiers?

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I know, the search is my friend...but I had a few more specific questions.

I currently drive a 100 series, which I am still trying to sell. I'm in college, and the dismal fuel economy just isn't cutting it any longer. I have other bills and things I'd like to pay for, and I'd like to be able to travel more. Even within the USA, but with the 100, a 90$ fill up that doesn't get me very far, just plain sucks. I want to spend less than $15k on a used vehicle.

I have been looking at tacoma's, which I really like. I'm not a big guy, 5'8 and 175, so a smaller truck will fit me...and HOPEFULLY get better fuel economy than the big domestic trucks. I'd like to retain 4wheel drive, which makes no sense when I'm so nuts about fuel. BUT, that's what I'm looking for. If I'm going to have a truck, it needs to be 4x4, makes going snowboarding and sailing easier too.

I like the newer body style frontiers as well, extended cab (for the longer bed), but I'd definitely drive the 4 door trucks as well. What's the big difference versus the tacoma? What kind of fuel mileage do these trucks get? It seems like they are cheaper to buy than the taco's. I'd prefer a taco, but they're very difficult to find in my price range, and the frontier seems closer to the $.

I just want a truck, maybe some all-terrains, put my stereo in it and drive.

Do the newer frontiers sit up more "like a truck" than the taco? Are the as reliable? What kind of real world mileage can I expect? I drive economically, most of the time. Rural Georgia roads, some stop and go in the city around the university. 55mph-65mph when on the highway.

Tell me anything you think I should know, when making this decision.

Thanks for your time guys, and feel free to post pics of your frontiers.

Cheers,
Jack

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I loved my 06 Fronty.. Rode great and has more power vs the Taco.. Look at the ProX4 / Off Road for a rear locker..
They handle like a great truck.. I was set on buying a Taco till I test drove the Frontier..

Toyota which I have owned is a great Car / Truck but they tend to be slightly over priced used. You just get more truck for your dollar when you buy Nissan.

Tornado killed my Fronty or Id still have it. When looking for a used one in a AT make sure to check the Tranny fluid. If its milky pink run away..
Nissan has one big issue with the GEN 2 Fronty / Xterra / PAthfinders.. The pipes in the tranny cooler can crack at 100k.. IF they do this the rad fluid will mix with the
tranny fluid and kill that transmission. Best thing is to check the fluid before hand and make sure to find the CarFax on it. Check out Clubfrontier, Xterranation, NewX for more reading on this issue.
A simple cooler by pass and your fixed.

Other than that test drive and fall in love

Sexy6Chick

Adventurer
Yes they feel like a truck, more than the Tacoma in my opinion. If you keep it fairly stock and drive as you say you do, then I would say you can expect anywhere from 18-21 mpg. I daily drive my 07 Nissan Frontier 40+ miles a day with a mix of city and highway driving. I get about 15 mpg, which if you ask me considering I run 35" BFG KM2 mud terrains with a substantial lift is pretty good.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
It's a great truck. I have 131k on mine at the moment and not too many issues to speak of. Most issues I've had are due to abuse but the truck has never left me stranded or in a bad situation, it always just goes! The seating position does feel like a real truck and I have yet to drive any truck that handles and feels as good as the frontier (other than a Raptor). I'd go for a Nismo/Pro-4x unless you want a long bed crew cab. I've been thinking about trading mine in on an FJ lately but honestly I think I'd have a really hard time getting rid of the truck. Throw some AT's on one, install a good stereo and go!

acasper708

Observer
The frontier shares the same frame as the xterra, and Titan!
It's very solid. I have a 05 xterra with 4" lift and 33"s. I get 14-17 mpg. The aftermarket options are increasing everyday. A really cool thing is to do a Titan swap on the front. The stock front diff can handle some abuse but has a aluminum housing and will crack if wheel spin is suddenly stopped. The front Titan diff is considerably stronger and can handle take a real beating. It bolts in directly as well as the front suspension components from the Titan. It's basically a poor mans mid travel lift kit along with some coil overs.
Check out Clubfrontier.org

Resqtech

My 04 Expedition was starting to have some issues (transmission, suspension, electrical) I started looking at a couple 2010 Frontiers also a couple older Tacos. Toyotas were asking way too much $$$ for the age and the miles. The Frontiers were more reasonably priced but in the end I bit the bullet and went with a 2012 Frontier Pro-4X crew cab.

I'm a bigger guy (6' 3" 250lbs) and I fit ok in it, in the past I had looked at 04 or older frontiers/Xterras and I did not fit nearly as comfortable with the newer body style.

I just did a trip from Pittsburgh to Erie this past weekend and had no complaints for comfort/performance

Right now I'm getting about 16.5mpg (open bed at this time). I also like the way the truck rides, it has a nice stiff feel to it.

jbumx2

Observer
I have 35k trouble-free miles (knock on wood) on my 2011 Frontier. I typically get 18-20 mpg with conservative driving habits.

As far as capabilities go, I'd say the Frontier and Tacoma are basically tied. The main differences between the two are price and buyer preferences. I liked the Frontier's upright driving position and simpler dash (the Tacoma's dash looks too much like a Camry for my taste). With the deep discounts on Frontiers a couple years ago, it was a no-brainer for me. These days, the Frontier is still cheaper than the Tacoma, but the price gap has narrowed a little bit.

Like others have mentioned already, test drive and see what works for you.

Attachments

• 062012-48-XL.jpg
    062012-48-XL.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 48

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I really like the Frontiers too. I have a 2nd Gen Tundra crew and it is HUGE. I've always been a Toyota guy but lately I've been thinking hard about the Frontier. They're awesome. Check out the white one with a flippac in the expo vehicles section.

Last edited:

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I hear the 2013s will be changing a little... They moved the Trucks to the Canton plant and last I seen they expect a little upgrades till the Gen3 pops

mike r

Adventurer
back up camera and better fuel economy from aerodynamics

6a00d83451b3c669e20176169672d5970c-pi

6a00d83451b3c669e201761696784b970c-pi

Last edited:
This video is a pretty good comparison.
It compares the 2005 models but not much has changed since then with either truck
I have a nice Frontier for sale too....

I don't have one, but I have been looking. I would say both vehicles are neck and neck. Your decision will most likely hinge on a specific attribute. Perhaps you need a longer bed, or maybe you desire a shorter wheelbase. Whatever you decide, rest assured, neither truck will let you down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears

Members online