Nissan Patrol in Iraq: Pics!

ThorsenValhalla

Toyota blocks Patrols from USA

My understanding, from the Xterra websites, is that there is some kind of agreement between Toyota and Nissan to keep Patrols out of the USA. Not sure what Nissan got in return from Toyota. I saw a Patrol in New Zealand and thought it was a Toyota or Land Rover from a distance until I saw the Nissan badge. Needless to say, I saw no Xterras in New Zealand. I think Xterras are only sold in the USA.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
More to make you jealous. Very popular over here. Spares and accessories are just a bit more scarce compared to Toyota.
member042.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
ThorsenValhalla said:
My understanding, from the Xterra websites, is that there is some kind of agreement between Toyota and Nissan to keep Patrols out of the USA. Not sure what Nissan got in return from Toyota. I saw a Patrol in New Zealand and thought it was a Toyota or Land Rover from a distance until I saw the Nissan badge. Needless to say, I saw no Xterras in New Zealand. I think Xterras are only sold in the USA.

Xterra is sold in Canada, Mexico, and some other countries.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Wow.. how did I miss this thread... major drool... Thanks for sharing Dave!

SUPERFLY

Oh my I feel insulted :)

The H233b is considered a 1 ton axle even though it is a little light for this duty IMHO.

in case people were wondering land cruisers, some jeep Cherokees and yes even the mighty VW bus were also considered "1 ton"

Some patrols come with the H260 which is a MASSIVE axle that has a 10.4" ring gear.

is that a good thing? can you say "diff hanger"? "boat anchor"?

Toyota blokes will upgrade there axles to Nissan ones.

you can count this bloke out, way to many upgrades for my Toyota axles http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com

I think patrols are sweet and id love to have one, but being in the us and the fact that there is NO aftermarket for them here I would most likely put a an fzj80 hi pinion 8 in factory E-locker front axle with the long field axle set in it, and a Tacoma/Hilux 8.25 in, non TRD, non locker rear end, with an ARB air locker in it. this axle's diff has a truss connecting the carrier bearings, which prevents ring and pinion failure. this set up would offer great strength and awesome ground clearance. I currently run a similar set up to this in my rock buggy, and have been on 1000s of trails, won competitions, and used it as a daily driver for 3 years. I’ve had very few axle failures compared to my "Dana 60" loving friends

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
ThorsenValhalla said:
My understanding, from the Xterra websites, is that there is some kind of agreement between Toyota and Nissan to keep Patrols out of the USA. .

I doubt it very much. Landcruiser has only a comparitively small market share in the US and the Patrol would have to steal some of that to get a foothold.

Most Americans want vehicles like the H2 and Nissan Titan rather than heavy duty,expedition type rigs.

Nissan did sell Patrol in the US but obviously decided it was not in their best interests to keep doing so.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
SUPERFLY said:
in case people were wondering land cruisers, some jeep Cherokees and yes even the mighty VW bus were also considered "1 ton"

is that a good thing? can you say "diff hanger"? "boat anchor"?

you can count this bloke out, way to many upgrades for my Toyota axles http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com

I think patrols are sweet and id love to have one, but being in the us and the fact that there is NO aftermarket for them here I would most likely put a an fzj80 hi pinion 8 in factory E-locker front axle with the long field axle set in it, and a Tacoma/Hilux 8.25 in, non TRD, non locker rear end, with an ARB air locker in it. this axle's diff has a truss connecting the carrier bearings, which prevents ring and pinion failure. this set up would offer great strength and awesome ground clearance. I currently run a similar set up to this in my rock buggy, and have been on 1000s of trails, won competitions, and used it as a daily driver for 3 years. I’ve had very few axle failures compared to my "Dana 60" loving friends
Yep...

Neat Patrol though Dave, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Dave

shortymav

Observer
SUPERFLY said:

riddle me this, in australia we upgrade our comp rigs to GU diff's braced and for a hell of a lot cheaper than longfields chromo's ect. GU diffs stock are almost astrong as a worked cruiser diff, throw the same money and its the toughst diff id say you could find

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
EDIT: Ya know what, nevermind, this thread isn't about which truck or axle is better or anything other than the fact that Dave posted a sweet Patrol and we should all be drooling over it not arguing over stupid crap.

I've gotta say though, I feel the Patrols look like a refreshed 80 Series adn I mean that as a compliment.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle