Nissan Xterra - I might buy - ?'s

cell4soul

Adventurer
I just sold my 05 Tacoma and looking to replace it with something more suited to daily driving. If you knew my Tacoma, you'd know it was not a daily driver......heavy with tons of mods and 93,000 miles.

So, I have always liked the Xterra, and I found a really nice one with low miles. It is a 2006 Xterra Offroad model.....grey in color, auto transmission and 29,000 miles. I can pick it up for $13,500.00, which I think is a pretty good deal. Tell me what you think of this as a daily driver as well as a weekend getaway vehicle.

Also, what are some inexpensive yet quality lifts for the X. I am wanting to eventually run 255/85/R16's on stock wheels. To do this does it require new springs with more lift on the rear? I'll also do some searching, but figured I'd ask anyways since people on this board are typically very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Gerrit

Rev

Adventurer
I run 285 70 17's on a stock suspension (2008 Xterra)

check out thenewx.org for lots of info.

it is a great DD and with a lift and tires it will go far.

Bergger

Explorer
I can't answer any questions about lifts for it, my Tacoma is set up for harder trails. However as a daily driver that is a great truck. My wife too has an 06 Xterra OR with a 6M. Actually taking it in for its 30k service tomorrow. I love that truck. Lots of power, comfortable on long trips, very well set up for two people to sleep in, and it very capable in stock form. We also get 21 mpg on the hwy with the 6 speed. The only mod I plan on doing is some sliders. We've had it since new and not one problem with it. I think that is a pretty good price as well. Good luck in your decision.

mcm4090

Explorer
Also, what are some inexpensive yet quality lifts for the X. I am wanting to eventually run 255/85/R16's on stock wheels. To do this does it require new springs with more lift on the rear? I'll also do some searching, but figured I'd ask anyways since people on this board are typically very helpful.

Most X guys I know get a Alcan full leaf pack for the rear.

Right now there are two choices in upper control arms, Total Chaos and PRG.

I am hoping the Calmini UCA's come out soon. I like the idea of a traditional ball joint.

cell4soul

Adventurer
Most X guys I know get a Alcan full leaf pack for the rear.

Right now there are two choices in upper control arms, Total Chaos and PRG.

I am hoping the Calmini UCA's come out soon. I like the idea of a traditional ball joint.

Thanks for the info

AZ-Ted

Adventurer
My X is my DD and my weekend warrior vehicle. As for inexpensive lifts, you can get a spacer and shackle lift. Many people have fit 285/75/R16s with this lift and the "melt mod" of the plastic inner fender.

The 255/85s are slightly taller (approx .25") than the 285/75s, but are over an inch skinnier, so you should probably clear OK. The melt mod for the 285s is mostly due to width, IIRC.

If you are talking about getting aftermarket coilovers for the front, you'll need UCAs, too. Of course, if you do upgrade the front, you'll want to do something in the rear. Alcan and Deaver are good choices for springs. You'll also want to get longer shackles and longer shocks, too. The costs will start to add up fast.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My '06 OR Xterra was, the best 4wd I'd ever had and you could cruise at 70 mph/19 mpg, for HOURS and then drive in snow/mud/rocks-whatever

IMGP0652-1.jpg

I would just look into the new warranty coverage before buying a new one, although, now is the time to get a real deal

:victory::wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

cell4soul

Adventurer
My X is my DD and my weekend warrior vehicle. As for inexpensive lifts, you can get a spacer and shackle lift. Many people have fit 285/75/R16s with this lift and the "melt mod" of the plastic inner fender.

The 255/85s are slightly taller (approx .25") than the 285/75s, but are over an inch skinnier, so you should probably clear OK. The melt mod for the 285s is mostly due to width, IIRC.

If you are talking about getting aftermarket coilovers for the front, you'll need UCAs, too. Of course, if you do upgrade the front, you'll want to do something in the rear. Alcan and Deaver are good choices for springs. You'll also want to get longer shackles and longer shocks, too. The costs will start to add up fast.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just keep saving my money and do it right the first time with coilovers, upper A's, new rear springs and shackes. I know the spacer idea would save a lot of money, but it would also be more about look than function, which is never a reason to do anything.

Good to know on the DD driver/weekend warrior. I bought the X on Tuesday and had it checked out by a Nissan Dealer ( they hooked it up to the computer, drove it and visually inspected the vehicle ). All was in great condition as I expected based on the Carfax. So, I am a proud new owner of an X. I already love the vehicle, it drives great on road, and I am sure it will be plenty capable off road as well.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Wow, congrats!

Now you can finally close the book on the Tacoma.

Can't wait to see what you do with the X.

:coffee:

Turtle

Hello everybody,

This would be my first post here from lurking :costumed-smiley-007.

Just for information. PRG does provide a slightly shorter coilover that does not require replacing the upper control arms. You get a comfortable 2-2.5" lift from them (adjustable). I run them at about 2" of lift so there is a little more down travel. With the upper control arm replacement type you get about 3-3.5" of lift I understand with a little more articulation range. I chose to not replace the upper control arms since Ohio winters are extremely harsh on open components such as the ball joint the replacement UCA's have.

Noobie (but not to offroad),
Dan

:victory:

cell4soul

Adventurer
Wow, congrats!

Now you can finally close the book on the Tacoma.

Can't wait to see what you do with the X.

:coffee:

Thanks! Nothing with the X for a while. Eventually I'm thinking I'll be investing some stock in Shrockworks ( unless I build some of the protection myself ) and PRG. I definitley won't build this as far as I did my Taco.

cell4soul

Adventurer
Bought it, love it......mods in the future when money permits. so far I'm thinking PRG Advance 4wd system and Shrockworks rear bumper......unless I decide to fab my own rear bumper.

BlackX

Adventurer
Welcome to the XTerra family. Good find on the OR model. Many people have trouble getting those. The X is by far the best vehicle I have ever purchased. As Jimbo said you can drive for hours and then do some serious trails when you get to your destination especially with the locker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online