NJ - 1998 MItsubishi Montero (Gen 2.5)

limp_noodle

Adventurer
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Gen 2.5. Before I trade it to a dealer I figured I'd give the community an opportunity at it first.

Here's some info and pics:

Year: 1998
Milage: 144xxx Miles
Number of Owners: 2
Title: Clean and in hand
Condition (As per KBB): Fair/Good
VIN: Upon Request
Asking Price: $2000 OBO
Info:

This car originally belonged to my in-laws. They bought it brand new in 1998 from a Mitsubishi dealership in Jersey city. I acquired the car back in September 2013 when they bought new cars. I bought it with approximately 117xxx miles. Prior to my ownership it was maintained mainly by Mitsubishi. Once I acquired it I did the maintenance myself. I am a certified auto tech and currently a mechanical engineer if that means anything.

Detailed condition is as follows:

• A/C Blows Ice Cold
  • Heat is extremely warm
  • Oil changes done on time. My father-in-law used synthetic while he owned it and I just continued following this.
  • T-Belt, Water Pump, Acc Belts were all performed at the 100K mile mark
  • Once I acquired the car I changed all the fluids (Front & rear diffs, T-Case, Coolant, and Transmission)
  • KYB Monomax shocks installed
  • Car will come with factory radio and 6 disc changer. I also have the rear cargo cover.
  • Shifts perfectly in and out of 4WD with no problems
  • NJ Inspection good till 2017

The Bad. Keep in mind that this car is a Northeastern car and has been through the winters. It gets used and isn't a garage queen.
  • Rust on rocker panels
  • Rust on door seams
  • Rust spots on chrome part of front bumper
  • Typical dings for a car this age
  • Rock chips on windshield
  • The car was involved in an accident back in 2002. My wife (girlfriend at the time) ran a stop sign and was hit in the passenger's side front. No frame damage though.
  • There were 2 other accidents on record as well (my wife driving again). Both involved her hitting parked cars. They were low speed accidents (less than 5 mph). The resulting damages were to the rear bumper. Rear left corner and rear right corner.
  • 1 accident was not recorded. Her car was parked on the street overnight. A neighbor was moving and dropped a washing machine from the rear of a truck onto her car. Damage was done to the front right. The trim panel under the light and the light were damaged. The light was replaced but there is still some resulting damage to the trim panel. (See photos)
  • Car has a slight shimmy at around 40mph. It seems to be the passenger's side inner tie rod.
  • All four tires should be replaced soon.
  • Rear rotors warped (Vibration under hard braking)
  • Rear muffler is rusted through. It's not terribly loud, but you can definitely tell there is an exhaust leak.

I daily drive this car to work, but my commute is short (about 12 miles round trip to and from work). I have some detailed service records from when I worked on the car in an excel spreadsheet.

The reason for my sale is that I’m looking to get something smaller (either a small 4 door or a crossover).

If you’re looking for more info or pictures, please let me know and I will try to do my best to get you the info. If you want to come look at the car in person and take it for a test drive, please PM me. I work during the week and I have a newborn so I’ll have to schedule something that will work.

Unfortunately the car does not have the desired winter package (Rear locker, Head light washers, Heated Seats), but from what I've read here on the forums the swap is really easy with either an aftermarket locker or finding the rear from a Montero with a factory rear locker.

I know I’m probably forgetting some stuff, but please feel free to ask!

Thanks for looking!

Some pics:
J6ycf7U.jpg

vTSVmH9.jpg

vLswjru.jpg

4O1NdYG.jpg

Link to Album:
http://imgur.com/a/6dkGy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member