no ARB or WARN or HILIFT or any other offroad prep tool will save you from this guys

Balzer

Adventurer
Here in Utah we only have pigmy rattle snakes (and rumors of timber rattlers) So for us just a pair of leather boots, and watching where you put your hands/butt is enough. If I am going someplace else with other poisonous snakes I still wear leather boots and watch where I step.
I however, am a boots and jeans type of guy, I dont really know what to tell the shorts and sandals type guys...

Holger

Observer
Geez it's quite scary what I read here. Anti-venom? Really? On the track?
Without offence, you guy's don't really know what you are talking about.
It needs to be cooled all the time, is expensive and outright dangerous everywhere outside controlled medical facilities. It is by far not as easy as giving somebody an injection and all is good.
It can also lead to severe, life threatening allergic reactions.
Please do me a favour and google 'pressure immobilisation technique'.
Then go and do a First Aid course.
I live in Australia, was a paramedic for 13 years and work as a First Aid trainer now, and Brown Snakes ( the worlds second most poisonous snakes) are a regular visitors to my backyard.

Below a short quote of our current (2012) First Aid manual.

Venomous Bites and Stings

Envenomation
Venom is the poison of an animal, such as a snake,
spider, or jellyfish usually transmitted into the victim by
a bite or sting. Envenomation is the entry of venom into
a victim's body which may cause localised or systemic
poisoning. Once in the body most of the venom is
spread systemically through the lymphatic system, which
relies largely on movement of the surrounding muscles
to move the fluid
. Minimizing any movement is the key to slowing the poison dow.
The venom is then collected in the
lymph nodes for later disposal in the liver. The “pressure immobilisation
technique” is to slow down the movement
of the venom in the lymphatic system.

Pressure Immobilisation Technique:
If on a limb, apply a crepe roller bandage over the bite
site as soon as possible. Bandage as firmly as you would
for a sprained ankle.
Apply another crepe roller bandage commencing at the
fingers or toes of the bitten limb and extending upwards
as far as possible towards the body (a single bandage can
be used for both pressure and immobilisation by starting
from the fingers or toes and extending upward).
Splint the limb including, the joints, to restrict movement.
Every single movement of the limp will push the poison forward.
Keep the victim and the limb completely at rest.
Bring transport to the victim if possible. Transport the
victim to medical care asap, preferably by ambulance.

1. Broad Pressure bandage over the bite

2. Second Bandage Commence at fingers/toes extending upward
as far as possible

3. Apply a splint

Snake bite
Symptoms & Signs

Pain at bite site
Puncture marks, or parallel scratches on the skin
Anxiety
Pale, cool skin
Sweating
Rapid, weak pulse
Rapid, shallow breathing
Breathing difficulties
Blurred vision
Difficulty swallowing and speaking
Abdominal pain
Nausea, vomiting
Headache
Collapse

Management
Call ‘000'/911 for an ambulance
Reassure the victim
Complete rest
Apply Pressure Immobilisation Bandage
Immobilise the limb with a splint

Hope that helps

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
also its good idea to have a walking stick or something and hit on the rocks and ground during the walk, snakes cant hear but will feel the vibration true the ground that something is approaching and hopefully get the hell out of the way

ERIC

REDROVER

Explorer
twice last year driving true dirt roads, i heard a snake very loud rattling on my rover , never seen it, but i heard . when i stopped and looked out he was there coiled up ready to strike my ugly smelly rover :)

Holger

Observer
In the meantime, stay calm, avoid physical exertion, and keep the limb elevated above the heart as much as possible.
While I agree with most of what Mbogo said I have to object to the elevated arm. That would just 'drain' the blood / lymphatic liquid / poison quicker into the body core and that is exactly what is to be avoided.
Another good source to find up to date information is the 'Australian Venom Research Unit'.
They have a good website and are renown to be some of the world leaders in poisoning research:

www.avru.org

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yep... Us Aussies know a thing or two about poisonous aminals.. Lol.. What is it.... 7 out of 10 of the most dangerous animals in the world live in aus.. It was just something we grew up with...

gm13

Adventurer
It seems Oz is plagued mainly by Elapids and the US by Pit Vipers, with the exception of the Elapid Coral snake, where it is stated compression may be helpful. Given the difference in the behavior of the toxins, Elapid being neuro and PV a tissue toxin, does that warrant the difference in treatment recommended by the manual I referenced previously?

Last edited:

maxingout

Adventurer
I have been in Arizona for nearly five years, and I have only seen one rattlesnake in the wild so far.

I lived in Arabia for sixteen years, and in those years I saw only 2 pit vipers, 1 cobra, and one unknown black snake slithering rapidly away from our camp site.

I sailed around the world on my boat and I saw lots of poisonous sea snakes in New Caledonia in French Polynesia. And when I was anchored in Gatun lake while transiting the Panama Canal, there was one poisonous snake that swam by our boat.

In my two years in Australia, we never saw a snake anywhere on a 10,000 mile trip to the outback.

I hope that my luck continues. Poisonous snakes don't seem to be that interested in what I do and where I travel.

On the other hand, twice while going to answer the call of nature, we encountered poisonous snakes in Arabia (Cobra and Pit Viper).

My modus is operandi is to watch out for snakes when heading out to answer the call of nature.

Defender-110-Cobra.jpg

My wife did not see this cobra slither by after we got out of our Defender to answer the call of nature. She was heading behind a dirt pile, and the cobra passed by a few feet away heading in the opposite direction. The Cobra was not interested in confrontation/engagement, and I followed it until it went down into a hole in the ground.

Kissing Cobras.jpg

The weirdest thing I have seen with poisonous snakes is watching someone kiss a lethal king cobra in Thailand. http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive4.htm

I also learned to not trust snakes who wear pirate patches. http://www.maxingout.com/captainslogarchive3.htm

piratesnake[1].jpg

So far I have been lucky with snakes, and I hope that my good fortune continues.

Last edited:
I have had 2 encounters with rattlesnakes.

First time, I was working in the oilfields tracing out a fast line. I stepped down off of a pipe, and missed stepping on a coiled up rattlesnake by 1/2". We took a picture of how close I had stepped to the snake. It was used in the safety meeting for a few years. It was lucky for me that the snake had just eaten. It didn't even move in the couple minutes we were around it. Eventually it started to regurgitate its food, so we high tailed it.

The second, I was out on a camping trip with a group of guys from a gun forum I'm a member of.
We were out walking around with a guy that was showing us some edible plants and awesome stuff like that. Well there were about 8 of us coming down this trail when we spot about 3 feet of snake sticking out from a bush. We all freeze, and are contemplating shooting this beast. (there was another 2' under the bush) Well this beast must've heard us plotting his demise, cause he turned towards us and started closing the 5 yards or so in a hurry. This guy was pissed. Well, it turned into an 8 man firing squad (I didn't actually fire my weapon, due to the fact that I had 2 guys right next to my muzzle, and one at my ejection port, not wanting to blast these relative strangers) after an unnecessary amount of shooting, there was a lull in the battle..... The snake was still alive (and relatively unscathed) he continued his unrelenting assault on our group.

We all turned to the guy with the 10 gauge shotgun, and said, "well?"

So he opened up on the serpent, sending him back into the bush. But still the beast advanced.

Another couple rounds into the bush and the buzzing of the rattle stopped.....

But only because the rattle was blown off..

The beast pressed his advance, but only until one final round from the 10 gauge ended his relentless assault.

That snake was 5 ft long, even without his tail and head.

EXTREMELY aggressive.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I have had 2 encounters with rattlesnakes.

First time, I was working in the oilfields tracing out a fast line. I stepped down off of a pipe, and missed stepping on a coiled up rattlesnake by 1/2". We took a picture of how close I had stepped to the snake. It was used in the safety meeting for a few years. It was lucky for me that the snake had just eaten. It didn't even move in the couple minutes we were around it. Eventually it started to regurgitate its food, so we high tailed it.

The second, I was out on a camping trip with a group of guys from a gun forum I'm a member of.
We were out walking around with a guy that was showing us some edible plants and awesome stuff like that. Well there were about 8 of us coming down this trail when we spot about 3 feet of snake sticking out from a bush. We all freeze, and are contemplating shooting this beast. (there was another 2' under the bush) Well this beast must've heard us plotting his demise, cause he turned towards us and started closing the 5 yards or so in a hurry. This guy was pissed. Well, it turned into an 8 man firing squad (I didn't actually fire my weapon, due to the fact that I had 2 guys right next to my muzzle, and one at my ejection port, not wanting to blast these relative strangers) after an unnecessary amount of shooting, there was a lull in the battle..... The snake was still alive (and relatively unscathed) he continued his unrelenting assault on our group.

We all turned to the guy with the 10 gauge shotgun, and said, "well?"

So he opened up on the serpent, sending him back into the bush. But still the beast advanced.

Another couple rounds into the bush and the buzzing of the rattle stopped.....

But only because the rattle was blown off..

The beast pressed his advance, but only until one final round from the 10 gauge ended his relentless assault.

That snake was 5 ft long, even without his tail and head.

EXTREMELY aggressive.
Just wow!!!! I'm so impressed with your 8 "man" rattler hit squad. So very "impressed" with your probably drunken execution of a rattler that after it was unscathed by numerous rounds one of your clowns had to finish it off with a 10 guage. You did use the term "firing squad" in referencing your tough guy group. Just WOW!!! I've been wandering the High Plains and West for all of my 60 years years encountering many rattlers and numerous other types of snakes and have never killed one or wanted to. I'm a hunter and own various guns but I have never just wantonly shot something like you tough guys did. Such a load of BS I haven't heard in quite awhile. Sure is something to brag about isn't it. If you all had backed off the rattler would have gone it's own way in short order. You clowns give legitimate gun owners and hunters a bad name. WOW!! Eight fools to tackle one little rattler which should have been left alone. Jerks!!!

AsltPnr54

haha lol! What this thread needs is a good hijack into bear defence methods and weapons. Solid advice and tales of adventure here. :rolleyes:

justaddmtns

Observer
I hope this little story adds some value to this thread too.

Animals are a big concern as well. My Vizsla got bit in the face by a venomous snake in the Appalachians while I was hiking with my wife and another couple. Scariest **** ever...I love my dog.

Long story short, we found a local vet, a mountain lady and she said my dog would be fine, gave her an anti-inflammatory shot in the back of the beck...relax, go home. On the way home I got an appointment with my regular vet, in town, and she had us bring her in right away. Blood tests to check on her organ function, antibiotic for the bite, etc. A whole different approach. Also, I work in a hospital and everyone including our vet, rarely does an anti-venom shot anymore. They say that if you don't have the snake, know how old it is etc., there is no way to tell the kind of snake, the age-amount of venom released, so on and so forth. The concern that anti-venom could cause more problems is high. Avoidance and education is the key...always.Olive_snake bite.jpgOlive_snake bite1.jpgOlive_snake bite2.jpg

Just wow!!!! I'm so impressed with your 8 "man" rattler hit squad. So very "impressed" with your probably drunken execution of a rattler that after it was unscathed by numerous rounds one of your clowns had to finish it off with a 10 guage. You did use the term "firing squad" in referencing your tough guy group. Just WOW!!! I've been wandering the High Plains and West for all of my 60 years years encountering many rattlers and numerous other types of snakes and have never killed one or wanted to. I'm a hunter and own various guns but I have never just wantonly shot something like you tough guys did. Such a load of BS I haven't heard in quite awhile. Sure is something to brag about isn't it. If you all had backed off the rattler would have gone it's own way in short order. You clowns give legitimate gun owners and hunters a bad name. WOW!! Eight fools to tackle one little rattler which should have been left alone. Jerks!!!

Wow.

You
Must have come across the same snake we did numerous times in your
60 years wandering the high desert. I apologize for murdering your friend.

It just
So happened that we were on private property, and the rancher that owned the property asked that we be aware tht there are very aggressive snakes in the area and that if we see any to exterminate them. He grazes his cattle in this area.

Also, I never fired a round at the snake, we were out learning about edible wild plants in an area known to be frequented by mountain lions and snakes, of course were we going to be armed. Hell, we all got together through a gun oriented forum.
There was actually no alcohol on this trip. The guy that organized it was the chief of police 4 of the people in attendance were LEO, or former LEO, the rest of us were prior military. An one 17yr old kid that was brought among by his older brother(former military, current cop)

Needless to say, there was quite a bit of firearms handling experience.

I don't think I implied that that story was to impress you. I coulda give 2 ****s what you think of me. I was merely sharing 2 very different encounters with 2 snakes of the same species. I'm sorry you were distracted by all the wanton destruction of life included in the second story.
A guy can't liven up a story with some choice words and phrases to throw in some entertainment value?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan