No commentary needed....

utherjorge

Observer
The thread here won't let me quote for some reason.

Please say more about these maintenance costs. The kool aid drinking here has been on par with Ecoboost forums regarding how robust the Bimmer motor is supposed to be despite all evidence to the contrary.

Sid Post

Observer
The thread here won't let me quote for some reason.

Please say more about these maintenance costs. The kool aid drinking here has been on par with Ecoboost forums regarding how robust the Bimmer motor is supposed to be despite all evidence to the contrary.

My BMW friend had issues with his 540 sedan. Vanos stuff one trip. Timing belt/chain issue with oil leaks another time. Ignition faults. and some other electrical issues as well. After 60K miles, lots of little stuff setting off the "check engine light" in whatever term BMW uses.

The 6-cylinder motor has a history of Vanos issues and expenses as well.

I won't comment on my friend's body integrity and interior issues as those won't be a part of the Grenadier ownership experience, at least if they are it is a different issue. My friend was meticulous with his car care and upkeep so, body integrity and interior issues were not user induced, lack or proper care, etc. issues.

utherjorge

Observer
My BMW friend had issues with his 540 sedan. Vanos stuff one trip. Timing belt/chain issue with oil leaks another time. Ignition faults. and some other electrical issues as well. After 60K miles, lots of little stuff setting off the "check engine light" in whatever term BMW uses.

The 6-cylinder motor has a history of Vanos issues and expenses as well.

I won't comment on my friend's body integrity and interior issues as those won't be a part of the Grenadier ownership experience, at least if they are it is a different issue. My friend was meticulous with his car care and upkeep so, body integrity and interior issues were not user induced, lack or proper care, etc. issues.
Thank you. I would e happy for someone to correct me, but with the people I know/hang with, and what they drive, Merc/BMW appear to be built for leasers, because the upkeep afterward is ridiculous. I can't want to hear about engine failures in the bush that can't be fixed with simple tools. Maybe one day a small cottage industry will spring up, throwing LSs and Toy motors and trannies in them to make them more reliable? But then you're throwing big money after big money.

Sid Post

Observer
Thank you. I would e happy for someone to correct me, but with the people I know/hang with, and what they drive, Merc/BMW appear to be built for leasers, because the upkeep afterward is ridiculous. I can't want to hear about engine failures in the bush that can't be fixed with simple tools. Maybe one day a small cottage industry will spring up, throwing LSs and Toy motors and trannies in them to make them more reliable? But then you're throwing big money after big money.

If you compare new price to new price, the Grenadier is not as expensive as most people think.

A Grenadier can be speced with lockers Front/Rear for ~$75K. A Chevrolet Colorado Bison is ~$64K (sticker). We can speculate on the upcoming Toyota Land Cruiser "Prado" cost but, the Heritage version is likely in the ~$65K range. And there are others.

The Grenadier won't catch the glitz and glamor of mainstream Social Media and weekend sporting event advertisements but, it is still priced for that market.

What it does have is an awesome build with great components from a company group that knows what they are doing and has people committed to providing an exceptional vehicle. I can't say that from the Big 3 in the USA. The closest mainstream option to me is the Colorado Bison.

At the moment, the Colorado Bison and Grenadier seem to be the best options for someone like myself if the high $60K to mid $75K price range is acceptable.

I thought about waiting for a Toyota Land Cruiser but, getting one before 2025 is not likely and I expect supply and demand constraints to push retail costs really high with dealer markups. The same will be true of the Colorado Bison based on local experiences shopping for a work truck.

I really want an SUV format overlander so, that really throws out the Colorado Bison from consideration. So, leaves people like myself looking at the Land Cruiser and Grenadier on the high end and cross overs at the lower end of the options.

High off-lease ownership costs tend to be things separate from core drivetrain reliability in my experience assuming you avoid options with known defects.

Recaro seats Carrero driveline components, and similar high spec components has a history of long term reliability and dependability. Assuming it doesn't have issues like bad wiring harness and such, it should be a great global traveler!

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
What it does have is an awesome build with great components from a company group that knows what they are doing and has people committed to providing an exceptional vehicle. I can't say that from the Big 3 in the USA. The closest mainstream option to me is the Colorado Bison.

There's no bigger example of a homer post than this one. You're simply out of your mind here.

I really want an SUV format overlander so, that really throws out the Colorado Bison from consideration.

Okay, fair enough. Moving the goalposts, but ok.

So, leaves people like myself looking at the Land Cruiser and Grenadier on the high end and cross overs at the lower end of the options.

Completely avoiding my personal favorite (if we're going to be homers, here), the Lexus GX platform...and its odd that you'll consider the LC but not the 150-platform?

High off-lease ownership costs tend to be things separate from core drivetrain reliability in my experience assuming you avoid options with known defects.

Nope. You can't have it both ways. The research about off-lease (or, post-warranty, if you like) costs for BMWs, Mercs, etc are obvious and easy to find. Unless you're doing the whole "money is no option" thing. Are you?

Recaro seats Carrero driveline components, and similar high spec components has a history of long term reliability and dependability. Assuming it doesn't have issues like bad wiring harness and such, it should be a great global traveler!

If you're a Gren shill, then just say it. It might be awesome! But there are plenty of question marks that you're ignoring. And yes, Recaro, as just one example, is a huge one. "Assuming" it doesn't have a bad wiring harness...I mean, come on, man. That's a super low bar. Your post suddenly seems like it belongs in a Subaru conversation.

utherjorge

Observer
And, finally, only because cost is mentioned, I just searched for a Lexus GX. Oldest set at 2020, less than 30k miles, one owner/no accidents. Max price 50k. I did not specify color (there aren't many, and nothing as nice as that Gren blue, though Nori Green is purdy) nor second row seating options.

113 out there.

If I go nationwide, 264.

25k more, at the least, would get you some pretty nifty goodies if you were so inclined.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Why does the term "recaro" mean anything to anyone? Back when GM buckets felt like sitting a bucket, they were great, but... today stock manufacturer seats in any premium car are better integrated and more comfortable. Nothing we are discussing with new suv's involves is track day with a 911. The Gren recaros have seatback tilt and move up and down. Thats it. Thats really stupid. There is no such thing as a one size fits all seat. They got cheap in strange places.

86scotty

Cynic
They got cheap in strange places.

Most certainly. Especially considering an "out of the box overlander" without even a map pocket in the back of the seat. I've spent some time in Gren Recaros already and they are good but they are not exceptional. The only reason they've been mentioned by anyone, IMO, is that Recaro is stitched on them. If it wasn't everyone would say "yeah, it's a good factory seat."

nickw

Adventurer
Why does the term "recaro" mean anything to anyone? Back when GM buckets felt like sitting a bucket, they were great, but... today stock manufacturer seats in any premium car are better integrated and more comfortable. Nothing we are discussing with new suv's involves is track day with a 911. The Gren recaros have seatback tilt and move up and down. Thats it. Thats really stupid. There is no such thing as a one size fits all seat. They got cheap in strange places.
That goes for more than just seats - I've heard people boast about the axles being "Carraro" which is somehow synonymous with quality, same concept, all manuf. make good high quality stuff and price-point crap...name brand means little.

86scotty

Cynic
That goes for more than just seats - I've heard people boast about the axles being "Carraro" which is somehow synonymous with quality, same concept, all manuf. make good high quality stuff and price-point crap...name brand means little.

I agree with one caveat. Before the IG came along i never heard of Carraro axles. I'm likely not alone being your average 'Murican, but I had the good fortune to have my buddy's truck on the lift a couple of weeks ago and I'm VERY impressed with those axles, as well as all the other meat and taters under one of these things. It's much more impressive underneath, in my novice mechanical opinion, than it is on the shiny side. Everything is big, sturdy, overbuilt and solid. Hmmm, I can't think of any more words that mean the same thing.

We both own JLU's which have also been on my lift several times. The size and substance of everything under the IG makes a modern Jeep look like a toy. And remember, I'm a happy Jeep owner who has no trouble with mostly stock Jeeps (I do not rock crawl but I do actually offroad).

DieselRanger

Wow, I came here to mention that I saw one in Colorado Springs just the other day, and it looked cool, but dayum....this is worse than a Land Rover thread.

But, people wanted a classic Defender clone, so....

nickw

Adventurer
I agree with one caveat. Before the IG came along i never heard of Carraro axles. I'm likely not alone being your average 'Murican, but I had the good fortune to have my buddy's truck on the lift a couple of weeks ago and I'm VERY impressed with those axles, as well as all the other meat and taters under one of these things. It's much more impressive underneath, in my novice mechanical opinion, than it is on the shiny side. Everything is big, sturdy, overbuilt and solid. Hmmm, I can't think of any more words that mean the same thing.

We both own JLU's which have also been on my lift several times. The size and substance of everything under the IG makes a modern Jeep look like a toy. And remember, I'm a happy Jeep owner who has no trouble with mostly stock Jeeps (I do not rock crawl but I do actually offroad).
Thats good to hear! Again, there are no feelings associated with this (for me), I'm truly interested in how well it's built mechanically based on feedback just like that. Will be interesting to see what the specs are once guys start digging a bit deeper....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998