No love for the Axiom or Rodeo?

SGV

Adventurer
With all of the praise the Trooper gets here, I wonder why the Rodeo and Axiom don't get similar praise. How different are these Isuzu's from the Trooper? I would assume that they are built with the same quality as the Trooper, if not the same parts.

Zaphod

Adventurer
I cannot say from experience myself, but I've heard great things about the Rodeo.

The reason we Trooper lovers so adore our rigs is because they are not only supremely capable and reliable, but they are also roomy and comfortable, giving all the benefits deriving from those characteristics.

I will say this, though. I'd LOVE to get myself a Rodeo Sport to trick out for off-road use. I LOVE those things!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have a lot of love for the Rodeo. I had a '95 and it was great. The only thing I did to it was upgrade the tires to 30" and it took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The Rodeo is a truck based SUV but was primarily sold as a soccer-mom mobile and that's how most of them are being used, at least from what I've seen. I have seen a few lifted Rodeos around but they're pretty rare. The Trooper, OTOH, has been around a lot longer and has more of a cult following.

OTOH the Axiom is a car-based CUV, not a truck-based SUV, so it would fit into the same category as the Toyota Highlander, Rav-4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, etc. Not gonna find a lot of love for any of those on this board, except as a DD perhaps.

SGV

Adventurer
Martinjmpr said:
OTOH the Axiom is a car-based CUV, not a truck-based SUV, so it would fit into the same category as the Toyota Highlander, Rav-4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, etc. Not gonna find a lot of love for any of those on this board, except as a DD perhaps.

From what I have read, the Axiom is built on the Rodeo frame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Axiom

These two vehicle appear to be about the same size as a 3rd gen 4Runner, so I would think that they would be as useful as one.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/exterior.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&tb=0&dt=0&v=t93950&v=t94490&v=t93745

I am guessing there is even less aftermarket support for them as the Trooper. I was mostly wondering because I have only seen one thread, and it was a Rodeo Sport (Amigo).

I was just wondering if they would be as capable as the Trooper. If parts were shared, etc... Actually, I have no clue where to go to look up things like what axles are on what. What transfer cases, transmissions, and so on.

Zaphod said:
I will say this, though. I'd LOVE to get myself a Rodeo Sport to trick out for off-road use. I LOVE those things!

Yeah. They are sweet. Probably could hold gear for the weekend plus a day or two.

double moo

Adventurer
SGV said:
I am guessing there is even less aftermarket support for them as the Trooper. I was mostly wondering because I have only seen one thread, and it was a Rodeo Sport (Amigo).

I was just wondering if they would be as capable as the Trooper. If parts were shared, etc... Actually, I have no clue where to go to look up things like what axles are on what. What transfer cases, transmissions, and so on.
QUOTE]

Head over to planetisuzu.com for more information on the Rodeo... they seem more popular than the Trooper there!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Having owned both the Rodeo (1996) and a Trooper (1999) I can tell you there is a world of difference in the two. Hate to say it, but the built in USA Rodeo wasn't nearly as well built as the made in Japan Trooper. Not that the Rodeo was a slouch, I did like it, but when I got into the Trooper, it was in a different class. I was rather surprised by the difference and although I can't objectively say what the differences were, it was just a feeling the Trooper gave me.

The Trooper is probably the best bang for the buck out there, too bad Isuzu quit making them (I have no doubt GM pressured them in some way).

The Axiom I really liked appearance-wise, but when I was looking for a bigger replacement for my Suzuki it seemed the Axiom's had a lot of transmission troubles so I stayed away.

Incusus

Adventurer
jeffryscott said:
(I have no doubt GM pressured them in some way)..

gm has a history of what I'd call "scorched earth engineering", namely that they buy shares in companies, take the engineering and apply it, and run the other guy out of business. I think its no coincidence the first year Trailblazer bore more of a resembleance to the Trooper than the previous model Blazer. Its the same tactic they applied to public transportation in the 1950's.:mad:

Incusus

Adventurer
oh and staying on topic, LOTS of love for the Amigo/Rodeo here. Because the Trooper boasts a huge cargo capacity, they arent as good expo platforms as the troop, but theres a ton of very capable and trailworthy crawlers and general 4x4'ers on that platform.
:arabia:

jl8088

Adventurer
yup, as stated above, the trooper makes for a far better expo platform than a rodeo or axiom and thus receives more aftermarket support. Not that a rodeo would be bad, but the trooper would be the one to aim at for expo duty based on the room inside.

I tend to think that the trooper was designed for 3rd world countries, hauling around 5 people and their gear on poor quality roads. There is no "sport" in this "S"UV though.

SGV

Adventurer
Incusus said:
oh and staying on topic, LOTS of love for the Amigo/Rodeo here. Because the Trooper boasts a huge cargo capacity, they arent as good expo platforms as the troop, but theres a ton of very capable and trailworthy crawlers and general 4x4'ers on that platform.
:arabia:
jl8088 said:
yup, as stated above, the trooper makes for a far better expo platform than a rodeo or axiom and thus receives more aftermarket support. Not that a rodeo would be bad, but the trooper would be the one to aim at for expo duty based on the room inside.

I tend to think that the trooper was designed for 3rd world countries, hauling around 5 people and their gear on poor quality roads. There is no "sport" in this "S"UV though.

I just test drove a Trooper the other day, during the New England slush storm. Wow, that thing has a lot of room. I really liked it and it was sporty enough for me. :punk03: Unfortunately, the check light on the TOD was flashing, which I saw over at Planet Isuzu means bad/expensive news. It performed adequately in slush/ice/dirt covered in wet snow; the poor salesman got carsick from trying to read the manual when we were trying to figure out the TOD system. With this thread, I was wondering if the other Isuzus were of the same quality and ability. I just noticed a lack of these two vehicles. Like I wrote earlier, they are about the same size as a 4runner, and there is no of those aboard.

Last edited:

Superu

Explorer
My only experience with the Rodeo was a week long rental in Northern AZ. It took us where we needed to go but the built quality was lacking for a truck with 6,000 miles on it, even for a rental!

Wind noise due to poor fitting driver's door was horrendous on the highway and the fit and finish inside were lacking. To be fair, I was comparing it to my Montero SR at the time, so I had set the bar fairly high.

Given what I've seen and read about the Troopers, I'd lean towards the Trooper.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I had a '97 Rodeo LS for a few years, and about 80,000 miles. I loved it - 5 speed and a limited slip rear end - big back seat, sun roof, etc... I really liked the speaker pods in the roof in the "way back" section. Great sound no matter how much stuff you had with you.

Only problem was that it was having problems with the head gaskets. Had them replaced at 19k under warranty, when they started going again at over 90k out of warranty I traded it in. I didn't like the newer versions in 2002 as much, they didn't feel as solid, but I have no regrets from my 5 years with the Rodeo.

rynosurf

Adventurer
My wife has a '99 2WD Rodeo, it had been a good car untill we had to replace the auto tranny with less than 80k miles on it.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
SGV said:
Unfortunately, the check light on the TOD was flashing, which I saw over at Planet Isuzu means bad/expensive news. It performed adequately in slush/ice/dirt covered in wet snow; the poor salesman got carsick from trying to read the manual when we were trying to figure out the TOD system.

If you can find one with out TOD you are golden. If not, then the TOD can be eliminated with a few hours labor and about $50 in parts. A lot of 98 and 99's didn't have TOD, and all manual tranny Troopers are sans TOD. My 98 was an S model loaded up, but the original owner did it right. Got all the good stuff but it was all dealer ad ons so no packages. Thus, I had a nicely equipped Trooper with out TOD. In 98 and 99 depending on the package that was on the truck determined if it got TOD or not. 00-02 TOD was standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior