No More Monteros - What to get next?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I really like the LR3 and was looking to purchase one for a little bit... When I was researching them though I came across a lot of random electrical issues and air suspension breakdowns that left me a little scared about living with one. That said I still like them.
-Josh

Hmmm, I suspect you actually read about people being concerned about such things, rather than people actually experiencing such things. There was SO MUCH negative ********** talk from "real Rover owners" about these "rolling computers" it was just ridiculous. The LR3 is the best vehicle ever made by Land Rover, and the LR4 advances that a bit further in some regards.

Having said that, the GX470's are really good ( not the GX460 which is just an expensive Highlander soft roader), The GX470 shares the Toyota 120 platform with the FJ, 4Runner, and overseas Prado's. Upgrades are easy and plentiful from those other platforms, so it's a sweet deal.

Having said that, the newer (2011?) and upward 4Runners are really good too. I sure wouldn't turn one down.

grandpa

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll be looking around this year and maybe we will find the right deal.

I like the boxy utility look and the wife doesn't want something that you see on every corner. We both dislike the Toyota looks and the Jeeps are everywhere. I'll keep the 2000 and 2001 Monteros for several more years. It seems the Rovers may be the only current production vehicle with some classic styling and they are comfortable and capable. I know which way I'm leaning but I'm going to try to keep an open mind.

My wife said something about a two seat convertible. :mad:

96LTDrus

Observer
@Nwoods

You realize that a GX460 is that same Land Cruiser Prado underneath (150 body), much like the GX470 is a rebadged Prado 120? The latest 460s have awful low hanging "Predator" looking front ends, but mechanically are the same sturdy stuff. Not Highlanders in the least.

I too wish there were fresher Monteros available here in the US, there is definitely a gap in the SUV market to be filled, especially with SUVs like the Pathfinder and Explorer all transitioning to weaksauce FWD crossover platforms. Right now the only offroad oriented "traditional" SUVs in the US are the 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Wrangler Unlimited, Lexus GX460/LX570, and until this year the Xterra. Grand Cherokee and Range Rover too I suppose. Nissan Armada, Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, and Sequoia are traditional SUVs as well with low range part time 4wd transfer cases, but I think are simply too large and too heavy with poor approach/departure/breakover to ever be seriously considered as offroad platforms, but that's just me.

Gruni14

Observer
Personally, for daily commute, I prefer a car anyway over an SUV. More nimble, smoother riding, less expensive to maintain, better fuel economy too. Keep the Monty you have and get her a Mustang or BMW Convert!!

For small SUV's, you might try out a couple smaller Hybrid's. Our company buys the for our workers. Get good fuel economy, do the job they're designed to do. Don't seem to be any more expensive to maintain (I'm sure the mother corporation checked that out). The guys seem to like them. I've riden in them, but not driven.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll be looking around this year and maybe we will find the right deal.

I like the boxy utility look and the wife doesn't want something that you see on every corner. We both dislike the Toyota looks and the Jeeps are everywhere. I'll keep the 2000 and 2001 Monteros for several more years. It seems the Rovers may be the only current production vehicle with some classic styling and they are comfortable and capable. I know which way I'm leaning but I'm going to try to keep an open mind.

My wife said something about a two seat convertible. :mad:

mmmm Miata! If you hang on a couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsu brings the new Challenger/Montero Sport over.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
@Nwoods

You realize that a GX460 is that same Land Cruiser Prado underneath (150 body), much like the GX470 is a rebadged Prado 120? The latest 460s have awful low hanging "Predator" looking front ends, but mechanically are the same sturdy stuff. Not Highlanders in the least.

Really? The GX460 is on the same platform as the 4Runner? I'm surprised by that. I really thought the 460 went down a grade to the Highlander platform. It just looks so whimpy!

Nissan Armada, Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, and Sequoia are traditional SUVs as well with low range part time 4wd transfer cases, but I think are simply too large and too heavy with poor approach/departure/breakover to ever be seriously considered as offroad platforms, but that's just me.
As a owner of an Armada that goes off road a few times a year, you aren't wrong. The transfer case works well, and traction control isn't useless, and the Offroad SE version has a rear locker, but they are heavy, low to the ground, without a lot of articulation. We pogo off the bump stops quite regularly :)

plh

Explorer
Personally, for daily commute, I prefer a car anyway over an SUV.

Great lakes region? ah yea. I grew up in Fargo, moved to Minneapolis when I was 24, and then to Milwaukee since 1995. At least 6 months of crappy weather in all these locations. I'll keep a 4x4 in my driveway like I have since I was 18... 34 years ago.

I'll be taking a close look at 4Runners in a couple years, once my daughter finishes college.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Really? The GX460 is on the same platform as the 4Runner? I'm surprised by that. I really thought the 460 went down a grade to the Highlander platform. It just looks so whimpy!

Well the 4 runner is based on the J-150 which is the the Gx-460, just the next gen Landcruiser Prado. I passed on the GX460 because i didn't like how it had a 4WD dial but i did actually like the truck better because i thought they didn't look as wimpy (mostly middle aged moms drive 470's) looking back it really doesn't matter because the 470 has a button for center diff lock anyway so i'm never manually engaging anything other than low range.

End of the day Pajero is better at everything other than being a luxo cruiser and status machine. Actually i really like that the GX is a sheep, it will never be instantly recognizable as my car and that's kind of nice. I really like this car though, it's a really good DD and will likely get a GX-460 next if there isn't a new Montero Sport available.

Here's the 460 in manly mode

tr4xilak7kucbhupx3na.jpg

Gruni14

Observer
I'm in WI. Not getting rid of my SUV's, keep the diesel car around for affordable commu6ing ... and long distance cruises.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I just drove a Mirage for the first time. I don't think it will have any long term issues, the 3cyl is buzzy but the car feels solid and the build quality still seems to be there. It's an inexpensive car....not a cheap one and as simple as it is I can't see you having issues with it for a very very long time. :smiley_drive:

NO! I don't mean it's a bad car at all, It's actually been great and aside from less sound deadening the interior seems to be higher quality than the stuff in my Lexus (not as fancy but more durable). My only concern is not so much with the quality of the car as it is with how much more my wife beats the thing vs the Outlander because the Outlander didn't have to work as hard to keep up with her. I told her if she ruins this car she's getting an old beater that can handle the abuse like a Diamante.

We bought a Subaru Forrester once, turns out it didn't like carrying a full load uphill at 5k RPM... It threw a rod through the block.

The Mirage actually tackles the hills quite easily with it's CVT making gearing perfect for every condition, plus it can't carry much stuff.

PHeller

Adventurer
This is the newest thread that the Explorer has popped up in.

The 2009+ seems to be a good price point (under $8k), and I don't think they've got spark plug issues after that. Decent MPG on the highway, good cruising manners, still 4x4.

The GX470 still seems be over $10k unless its got tons of miles, which with how expensive those things are I'd be leary of.

Last edited:

96LTDrus

Observer
This is the newest thread that the Explorer has popped up in.

The 2009+ seems to be a good price point (under $8k), and I don't think they've got spark plug issues after that. Decent MPG on the highway, good cruising manners, still 4x4.

The GX470 still seems be over $10k unless its got tons of miles, which with how expensive those things are I'd be leary of.

I might be biased, but a lot of the domestic SUVs just seem a bit underengineered for anything more than mostly highway use. Explorers seem to have wheel bearings go bad prematurely, fast wearing ball joints, and other components and that's just with regular onroad driving, can't imagine they'd last even that long with extended offroad use. Then again when I'm in Mexico everyone and their brother has one of the older "jellybean" 95-01 Explorers (solid rear axle on leaf springs), in a massively dilapidated state but still running. Same goes for ZJ Grand Cherokees and GMT360 Blazers/Jimmys.

If you look around the Fourunner is the next cheapest rig out there. Really only the Xterra POS is cheaper. NEW SUV 4x4 rigs are 40K trucks are 50K. Hard to believe I paid 16K out the door in 89 for a Montero! God only knows what the new Raptor will cost but I am on the waiting list now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78