No update for 4Runner after current gen?

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Seeing some random chatter online that the 4Runner will not be getting another update and will set? I was hoping to hear about an update with new engine/tranny after learning the LR5 is going to be a mall cruiser, but what I'm seeing about the 4Runner isn't very encouraging either.

Accurate? not? too early to tell?

rickashay

Explorer
I'd say just be patient. The "face-lift" still isn't that old and I think with the way Toyota has been marketing them, they are proud to have one of the last body-on-frame SUVs still on the market. I have seen so many of the new 5th gens driving around I can't imagine that Toyota would even be remotely thinking of removing them from the line up. My bet is that a 6th gen would follow suit with the new Tacoma - basically the same truck but updates to the motor and drive line with mild body design adjustments. I'd be interested to see some sales numbers of the current gen 4Runner. My $0.02

sn_85

Observer
I think they will come out with a 6th gen BOF 4R. Ever since they killed off the FJC and face-lifted the 5th gen the sales have nearly doubled. Prior to the face-lift the 10-13 4R were selling around the 50-60k mark per year. This year it's estimated they sales are going to be 100k+ sold. In typical Toyota fashion I think they're going to milk the 5th gen as long as possible before coming out with a total redesign. I think people speculate 2018 as the year but with Toyota they could easily drag this model out further.

evilfij

Explorer
I have to imagine it gets the 3.5 out of the third gen Tacoma sooner rather than later. The 4.0 drivetrain seems better but the 3.5 has better mpg.

Had a few beers with a buddy that attended FJ summit and had dinner with Toyota engineers. His first statement about the dinner "they were the most depressed group of engineers I have been around" basically they don't think there will be a 6th gen due to EPA CAFE regulations. They were not excited about the future of the whole truck/SUV line up future. The engineers said that Toyota wont pass the EPA fines on to the customer that the US big 3 are willing to do if the truck doesn't meat CAFE standards.

Dake21

Adventurer
Had a few beers with a buddy that attended FJ summit and had dinner with Toyota engineers. His first statement about the dinner "they were the most depressed group of engineers I have been around" basically they don't think there will be a 6th gen due to EPA CAFE regulations. They were not excited about the future of the whole truck/SUV line up future. The engineers said that Toyota wont pass the EPA fines on to the customer that the US big 3 are willing to do if the truck doesn't meat CAFE standards.

That's really bad news... it doesn't surprise tough. Sorry to be this negative but I don't think we'll have anything worth to drive in 50 years with the increasing amount of tech in vehicles, auto-pilot and electric car. Sorry, I digress.

robert

Expedition Leader
That's really bad news... it doesn't surprise tough. Sorry to be this negative but I don't think we'll have anything worth to drive in 50 years with the increasing amount of tech in vehicles, auto-pilot and electric car. Sorry, I digress.

All according to plan I'm sure........ :(

jpachard

Adventurer
That's really bad news... it doesn't surprise tough. Sorry to be this negative but I don't think we'll have anything worth to drive in 10 years with the increasing amount of tech in vehicles, auto-pilot and electric car. Sorry, I digress.

Fixed it for you, but nonetheless totally true

chmura

Adventurer
Buy a 4Runner now. You wouldn't want the first year of the generation anyway. The first year of the 5th gen was a step backwards from the last year 4th gen style. No LED rear tail lights, no projector headlights, mast anntenna sticking out (4th gen anntenna was integrated inside the rear window), etc.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Buy a 4Runner now. You wouldn't want the first year of the generation anyway. The first year of the 5th gen was a step backwards from the last year 4th gen style. No LED rear tail lights, no projector headlights, mast anntenna sticking out (4th gen anntenna was integrated inside the rear window), etc.

Im living in eastern Europe right now with a few more stops before I come back to the states. I'll be watching things closely over the next couple years and see which way the winds blow. Ill be back for a brief stint in 2018 and may buy something then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78