NOCO charger with monitor

Jojo29er

Observer
Starting my electrical system, wanted to ask if anybody has their NOCO setup like this. Victron says it'll work but NOCO couldn't advise. Should allow me to monitor charging status.

20180328_073122_resized_2.jpg

Also, is it preferred to run the ground from my fuse box to my grounding post or from the shunt?

Trying to understand your sideways pic. Maybe the new forum software rotated it. Kind of confusing what you are trying to illustrate in your drawing concerning your drawing.

Which Victron monitor are you using? Does your shut have unshield twisted pair plug in connector and two connection for B1+ and B2+?

Jojo29er

Observer
Trying to understand your sideways pic. Maybe the new forum software rotated it. Kind of confusing what you are trying to illustrate in your drawing concerning your drawing.

Which Victron monitor are you using? Does your shut have unshield twisted pair plug in connector and two connection for B1+ and B2+?

Victron bmv-700. Only one battery, i believe the plug is shielded but is a twisted insert. The NOCO charger is designed to attach directly to the battery. By placing the negative end of the NOCO on the victron shunt it will allow me to view charging stauts on the monitor. I don't know if having the charger through the shunt would affect it's ability to charge correctly. NOCO said it "should" work but that's not very reassuring. Victron got back with me quick and said "yes, you can run the charger through the shunt".

Just wondering if anybody has actually charged their battery with a GEN 1 NOCO like this with success.

What part of the pic is confusing? I can redraw but i was really proud of that 4th effort rendering!;)

It is merely a drawing change for clarity. Move the wire from + to Victron shunt. For drawing purposes draw it from the Switch/Fuse connection to the side of the shunt and label it "+B1" for battery voltage monitoring. At installation this will connect directly to the battery postive. Then move the point where the negative of the Norco charger connects just after the shunt. In actual installation the Norco negative will be at the output end of the shunt. Yes this will work. It will show drain from the battery as well as charger input into the battery and when you are charging and drawing current at the same the difference will be accounted for.

I think you are confusing mechanical electrical layout and electrical schematic in one. They should be two separate drawings. Great napkin sketch for first efforts, at least you are using a grid.

Jojo29er

Observer

I may have misunderstood what you meant unshielded twisted pair, you mean the two screw connections on the side? There's no mention of these in the manual. There is only a connection for B1, only one battery.

Shunt pic
20180328_092003_resized.jpg

Jojo29er

Observer
It is merely a drawing change for clarity. Move the wire from + to Victron shunt. For drawing purposes draw it from the Switch/Fuse connection to the side of the shunt and label it "+B1" for battery voltage monitoring. At installation this will connect directly to the battery postive. Then move the point where the negative of the Norco charger connects just after the shunt. In actual installation the Norco negative will be at the output end of the shunt. Yes this will work. It will show drain from the battery as well as charger input into the battery and when you are charging and drawing current at the same the difference will be accounted for.

I think you are confusing mechanical electrical layout and electrical schematic in one. They should be two separate drawings. Great napkin sketch for first efforts, at least you are using a grid.

20180328_093220_resized.jpg

Does this make more sense?

The switch/fuse will run between the positive battery and positive of the fuse box. The victron positive from shunt will connect directly to the battery, not the switch/fuse.

When I said unshielded twisted pair connector I meant the (RJ11 phone jack) plug connector with multiple wires. Unshielded Twisted Pair means that each pair is twisted within the cable. In this case that connector has 6 conductors (3 pairs) although they may not use them all. Your last two drawings are correct and very understandable. Your use of the charger will work.

Reason only one wire green terminal is that your monitor can only measure Battery Voltage of one battery. They do make a model that can monitor two battery voltages, in that case there would be a green terminal for 2 wires.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The original drawing will work fine. Anything grounded direct to battery neg (ahead of shunt) will not be monitored. Anything grounded after the shunt will be monitored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears