NOCO Genius Boost GB40 or similair

Colin Hughes

Explorer
My wife is looking for something to buy me for Christmas and she saw these advertised on TV. From what I see in reviews, any of these little units seem to get a 50/50 mix of good/bad. It would be handy to be able to boost the Land Rover in a pinch but I doubt this would start an LR3. However, I do like the idea of being able to charge tablets, phones, etc while off the grid, maybe ever run the ARB fridge in a pinch. Anyone used something like this and what are your thoughts? Are there better units out there? All thoughts appreciated. She doesn't want to waste her money.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have one - the Antigravity Batteries XP1. It would absolutely jump start your LR3. Mine has started (from stone cold dead) my Xterra probably 6 times without recharging. Also my 1995 Range Rover from so dead the dome light wouldnt even come on. And my 200Tdi Land Rover (high diesel compression with a huge starter motor).

It would not do well running a fridge or similar. Its designed for short bursts of high amperage. Think CCA's not amp hours.

I keep mine in the truck permanently plugged in to the 12V charger that came with it (on a keyed outlet) so I know I always can jump start myself if necessary.

At $100, I love it enough that just about everyone in my family is going to get one for xmas this year.

Narbob

I've got the Noco Genius GB40 and it works great. I've used it to jump completely dead vehicles and they started first try. Also, it's 6 months in my tool bag and still holding a full charge. It does have usb in and out for charging the unit as well as ipad/iPhone and whatever else. I also like that it's small and compact. I definitely recommend this one.

Last edited:

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Thanks guys, I do like the Antigravity unit after looking at it last night and your idea of leaving it plugged in and charging all the time.

zelatore

Explorer
I had a similar unit, the 'boltpower' version (I suspect most of them are the same thing re-badged) from Amazon. Pretty amazing what that thing would do - I could go out and start half a dozen vehicles with it depending on just how dead their batteries were. (I have a fleet of parts/project rigs in the back yard that don't get started often and have bad batteries until the time comes to deal with them)

I loved that thing. It was easy to carry, held a charge a long time, and a lot less hassle than jumper cables.

Then a week ago it died out of the blue at a little over a year old. Went to start one of the old Rovers and nada. I actually suspect the battery itself is still good but the control logic has failed.

I've been shopping around for a replacement and haven't decided on brand I'll get but I will get another. The Noco is a possibility though I suspect you're paying extra for the name. AntiGravity seems to be the same - a premium name. I also see a lot of people have gotten knock-off version of the AntiGravity and had failures. Look around on Amazon and you'll find plenty of comments to that effect.

I do not run a dual battery setup on my rig but do have extra lights, winch, fridge, etc. I've never run my own battery down enough that I needed a jump but these things are cheap insurance to be sure you can get home in the morning and don't take up much space. They can also get you going when you don't have a buddy handy to provide a jump. They do have their limitations but all in all I would recommend them.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You obviously havent used one of these. I hooked mine directly to my Extreme Aire Outback Magnum (1.5HP), with no other battery, and it ran it for at least a full 2 minutes straight pressurizing my air system up to 150psi (not no load). The XP1 eventually errored out from a overtemp warning. These things pack a lot of energy. I was also not a believer until I saw one used first hand so I understand the skepticism. But really, you need to try one of these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12