NOOB here, under the hood question

Cpriver4

Observer
So when I start my 96 disco up, and only when i start it up there is a little bit of a rattle that sounds like a belt is loose. What should I check for? Thanks.

DividingCreek

Explorer
96 disco is a gems engine serp belt. Should only be one. Belts are less than $30 from Atlantic British. The bearing in the tensioner pulley may also be on its last legs-another easy fix. with the belt off check your water pump by grabing the pully-there should be no wobble @ all. Water pumps tend to fail catostrophicaly on these trucks.

Cpriver4

Observer
96 disco is a gems engine serp belt. Should only be one. Belts are less than $30 from Atlantic British. The bearing in the tensioner pulley may also be on its last legs-another easy fix. with the belt off check your water pump by grabing the pully-there should be no wobble @ all. Water pumps tend to fail catostrophicaly on these trucks.

Thank you!

fishEH

Explorer
I've never known a belt to rattle. IDK? Not trying to be difficult but accurately describing the sound will get you better advice. If it truly is a rattle, its probably not your belt. If its only upon start up, its probably not a pulley or bearing either. Have someone else start the truck while you listen under the hood. Also check your starter. It could be engaging for too long and producing kinda a "rattle" sound.

lgoldd1

Make a video of the sound. :smiley_drive:
As stated its probably pulley tensioner or the belt needs replacing. Both are easy DIY.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
No need to pay the premium for a belt from AB or any other rover parts house. NAPA or any other parts store will have them.

Broken ceramic in the cat is more likely I think.

DividingCreek

Explorer
when he said rattle my initial though was lifters that had leaked down and the sound they make on startup until they pump back up

DividingCreek

Explorer
No need to pay the premium for a belt from AB or any other rover parts house. NAPA or any other parts store will have them.

Broken ceramic in the cat is more likely I think.

Belt is $48 from NAPA and $28 from Atlantic British- been here done this last month.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Never had an issue with NAPA having them, though it's been a while since I got one there. Looks like they've gone up a good bit.
I get them from Amazon for $31 shipped.
I guess if you're ordering something anyway then AB (or one of the other vendors) makes sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger