noob: here's my Taco project w/ camper setup

dustboy

Explorer
I've had this '99 Taco since '02. Most modifications have been within the last year, these include LCE header (to replace cracked stock cast iron), 265's (up from OEM 225's), camper shell, modified leaf springs, custom rock sliders and pro-comp shocks. The current project is a sleeping platform with storage and a 12 gallon water tank.

This rig is all about getting out there to camp with friends. I want to be able to get as far away as I can in a rig that still has to spend 95% of its time as a daily driver.

I'll have more pics of the rest of the truck soon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dustboy/DropBox#

I'm particularly eager to hear any suggestions on the water system. The design is meant to be simple, i.e., gravity fed, but if I have to do a pump I will.

dustboy

Explorer
img_0016.jpg

Last edited:

BLKNBLU

Explorer
I don't know much about any of this but I did notice your comment about concern over losing water on steep uphill grades. Why not plumb in a shut off right near the fill point on your camper top? You know one of those deals where if the handle is inline with the tubing it's open and if it's crossline of the tubing it's closed. Some thing like this.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcvalve.html

ocdropzone

looking at your set up you might consider some hose clamps on your fittings...
I also hope you don't break a leaf spring by inserting the junkyard leaf inbetween the 2 main leafs...I could be wrong but seems like the inserted spring should have been longer to the stock spring eyes....

dustboy

Explorer
update on the camper project, including the latest on the water system, sleeping platform, and my nifty new Kelty shelter.

img_0060.jpg

img_0063.jpg

dustboy

Explorer
Water pump installed!

The gravity system is done-for, on the last trip, the water was a little trickle by the time the tank was half empty. So I ordered up this nifty little water pump from Camping World. It's very basic, just enough to move the water into your coffee pot. It has its own pressure switch so it only runs when the valve is open.

IMG_0068.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman