Noob starting a Bantam build.... need tire help

casualthursday

Hello Everyone,

New guy here, so I apologize if this post is in the wrong place. I recently picked up a Bantam trailer and will be starting a small scale build on it very soon. First thing is first though.... I need to pull it to the build location. That being said, I'm not convinced the tires on it will make it and want to buy new ones.

I pulled the wheels and took them to several tire shops.... all of whom said they have no idea. The tire size marked it 6.50-16 and I'm having a hard time finding a modern equivalent. I've also been looking for what I believe to be period correct Firestone tires on cokertire.com. There are several choices in sizes as well as the option to add tubes.

What I need help with is either:

1) finding something relatively inexpensive that I can toss on the wheels right away to transport

or

2) finding the right size Firestone tire and figuring out if I need a tube for it (along with what size tube).

Thanks anyone in advance that can help me out.... it's a little daunting learning some of this stuff.

-Brian

I have LT225/75R16 on stock wheels and they fit on my 52 M100 in stock form. I had BFG's, long trail tires that were a little bigger LT 235's I think but they had dry rot so I put on Goodyear wranglers. Hope that helps.

hesterj

Adventurer
I was worried also when it was time to first pull it home on those original tires with cracks in them.
Now,a couple years and thousands of miles later,I have given into the idea that these tires were made to last forever.

Got any close ups of the tires?

Robert Bills

Explorer
On my '46 Bantam T3-C I run STA brand 700x16 military NCCC tube type tires mounted on OEM Kelsey Hayes 16" rims (same as OEM for the Willys CJ-2 and CJ-3). I purchased my tires and tubes from Lucas Classic Tires in Long Beach CA. http://www.lucasclassictires.com/16-700x16-STA-NDCC-6PR-676467L.htm (2850 Temple Ave., Long Beach, CA 90806, 800-952-4333, 562-595-6721.)

Firstn.jpg

IMG_0179.JPG

atavuss

Adventurer
I run the same size and type of tire and tube that Robert does. These tires are not cheap and they are not easy to find but I have had them on about 10 years or longer now with no problems. I only run about 24 PSI and the trailer bounces a lot when empty. There is about 11" of clearance at the lowest part of the trailer. An added benefit of the stock wheels and ND tires is that the tire remains inside the wheel well and does not throw debris all over the trailer and tow vehicle.

Last edited:

casualthursday

I have LT225/75R16 on stock wheels and they fit on my 52 M100 in stock form. I had BFG's, long trail tires that were a little bigger LT 235's I think but they had dry rot so I put on Goodyear wranglers. Hope that helps.

And these fit on the stock wheel OK? I was told by a major tire chain that these would be way too wide. Granted, I have not measured my wheel width yet.

Go tubeless.

Tubeless on the Firestone tires? Or tubeless on a modern radial?

Robert Bills

Explorer
If you choose to go with military tires ((NDT or NDCC), don't waste your money on Coker Firestone military tires unless your goal is a 100% restoration. The same tires are available from STA, Denham and at least one other manufacturer for less money. Other than brand, they are all the same.

You can run 225/75R15 tires on stock Jeep CJ 15" 5 on 5 1/2" lug pattern wheels (6" wide), . The stock 16" Bantam/early CJ Jeep 5 on 5 1/2" rims are narrower (4.5"), and a 225/75R16 tire is too wide for those.

Don't be afraid of tube type tires. Many people who advise tubeless have no first hand experience with tubes. You can try a tubeless tire on the stock jeep 16" 5 on 5 1/2" lug pattern rims, and many have with good results, but they were made for a tube type tire and you may not get a good seal with a tubeless tire, especially at low tire pressures.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
I went with Cooper AT3 in size 215/85-16 on my M416 trailer. A modern tire with a size nearly identical to the 7.00-16's. I've had it down to 15 psi with no issues.

215/85R16 tires will fit a 5.5-7" wide wheel, but not the best choice for the OEM Bantam wheels which are only 4.5" wide. The OP thinks he has Bantam (which are actually Kelsey Hayes) wheels. He will need to advise as to exactly what wheels he has before anyone can make a reasoned tire recommendation.

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
narrow rims

I also went with Cooper AT3 in size 215/85-16 on my M416 trailer. Which rims are 4.5x16. fit very good, Ride great.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Confirmed wheel size is 16 x 4.5.

A 215/85-16 tire typicallyt requires a wheel 5.5-7.0" wide. Many are using them on M416 wheels with success, but many others report that these tubeless tires leak on narrow wheels designed for tube type tires. Also, they cost more than the military tires. ($155 ea. at Discount Tire Direct.)

The best tire for the 4.5" wide Bantam wheel remains a military 700x16. If you replace your existing wheels with 6" wide jeep wheels there are more options but you will lose originality. Decisions, decisions . . . .

(If you decide to replace your wheels, and they are truly OEM Bantam, let me know. I might be interested.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12