Noob wiring Q!

silvergrand

Adventurer
Schwartz Trailers to the rescue! The 2001 WJ has a 3 light (amber) tail light structure. They ran a 5 line and added seperate turn signals the trailer and all is now functioning perfectly. Just for giggles, we also tried/added a converter box into the factory wiring running a 4 line and this did not fix the problem. The team felt that what was needed was a "european" wiring build.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It would actually be VERY difficult to incorrectly wire a modern vehicle. The wiring harnesses are built on a board that checks every connection automatically. Then when they're put in the vehicle, the connectors are keyed and only fit one way.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Yes, but the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle (trailer) both need to be wired correctly in order to work together. It doesn't appear that this was the case. It's easy to focus on the light kit as having a defect and being the problem. In this case it was the incorrect wiring of the vehicle, meaning tow to trailer.
Jason T.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, I get you now. Yes, I agree. I have to think that it could have been done some other way. Probably an isolation box would have worked. I can't fathom how it would not work. It places no load on the factory circuits at all, just senses off them, and from there you only have to get the right wires.

Notwithstanding this, I think that independent amber turn signals should be legally required on all (new, going forward) vehicles as well as trailers. I've always disliked flashing red turn lights. If I had a choice, I would have done it that way, but it was vastly easier to follow the US tradition in this case.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
wiring

Are you using the original wiring from the trailer,I mean the water proof military harness?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Schwartz Trailers to the rescue! The 2001 WJ has a 3 light (amber) tail light structure. They ran a 5 line and added seperate turn signals the trailer and all is now functioning perfectly. Just for giggles, we also tried/added a converter box into the factory wiring running a 4 line and this did not fix the problem. The team felt that what was needed was a "european" wiring build.

VERY interesting!!...I'm glad it all worked out. Nothing worse than rouge electric issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior