Noob with a new trailer...

Rollingbrick

Well,
Long time lurker... Thanks to all on EXPO for all of the many ideas. Found my New to me trailer about 2.5 hrs south of Nashville. Couldn't believe it. Wanted to tow it back but the tires were shot / rotted. The rest of it seems to be well preserved under all the paint. Now if only I can convince the wife of that. Not sure what the ultimate plans are for it as of yet. Found one data plate so far but it has also been covered by paint. Only thing the PO could tell me about it was that it was "an old ammo trailer". I'm thinking it was pre M416. Possibly a Bantam? Any thought's / Guidance will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3746.jpgIMG_3747.jpgIMG_3748.jpgIMG_3749.jpgIMG_3750.jpgIMG_3751.jpgIMG_3752.jpgIMG_3753.jpgIMG_3754.jpgIMG_3755.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks like a Bantam TC3 to me.
Appears solid.
Keeping the top?

Sandblast and a new coat of paint and it will look like new.

Show your wife this page and she should change her mind.
http://bantamt3c.com/

Keep us posted on the build.

Rollingbrick

Thanks Mark.
The PO built the top years ago. While mostly sturdy, there are parts on the top needing attention. I'm considering removing it as it's pretty thin gauged sheet metal with angle iron supports, then as you mentioned blasting, then paint. My thought was fabbing a strutt assist flat top then RTT mounted later on. Thanks for the link too. Looking to find a set of tires too. Figured I'd check out CL.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I believe you have an M100. If I recall correctly, the militayr trailers had four tie down hooks on either side as well as the 4 corner handles. The batam trailers did not have the corner handles. The civilain Bantam trailers only had 3 tie down hooks on each side. If you can remove some of the paint from your data plate (there would have been 3 on the front of the trailer) it may tell you more if you can read the year it was manufactured. Hopefully you will not find a lot of rust once you start stripping paint. Looks like a good project to work on.

Rollingbrick

Thanks Flyfishjeep! Was wondering about that. Without stripping or blasting the paint, I can only see one plate so far at the upper right hand side of the front of the trailer. That's covered in thick paint too. I hope the rust isn't too bad either. But it may just be the paint holding it together... We'll see. Been looking for a trailer for a while. The boy is only a year old so far but I'm hoping to start using the trailer by the spring.

Rollingbrick

Well... FlyFishjeep was correct. It's an M100. Spent all day yesterday pulling apart the top, to find the data plate underneath the rotted wood. So far there seems to be minimal rust and there are a few spots that'll require some attention. Scrapped a fair bit of loose paint too. Now need to find some tires and a lunette for it. More pics coming.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, then there is really no need for me to agree with flyfish at this point! LOL I'm pretty sure I pulled one just like it, there were tops similar, but that's not one. Looks like a good one with some TLC it'll work well!

Rollingbrick

Thanks Ozarker,
The top was homebuilt by the PO and it served him well over the years. I'd like to rebuild a new top later. Got any pics or link to your trailer?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
LOL, When I pulled them they were behind the jeep owned by the Army, painted OD green to match my uniform! Soon we started custom paint jobs called cammo. Good luck with yours....

Lacy Hershey

Adventurer
looks like a good find. been looking for a military trailer in tennessee or in a neighboring state (without a 6hr drive) and haven't had much luck. what site did you look on?

Rollingbrick

Thanks Lacy. I've been looking for a while on Craigslist. I had come across several in the past but they were rotted or needing much more attention than this one. Id say that ive been looking mostly on CL for about a year or more and saw several. Most had the rear sections cut too... I guess I'm a bit picky. I found this one in Alabama and it took me about 4.5 hrs round trip to grab it. PO was great to deal with and answered all my annoying questions.

Rollingbrick

Not much to report today but just a bit more paint scrapping. Besides buying a $180.00 lunette, to replaced the hacked one that is on my trailer, would anyone happen to know of a cheaper alternative?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman