North/Central Frontenac Country (Ontario/Canada) Weekend Trip

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My brother and I went a little weekend adventure to check out some of the dirt roads near our cottage in Eastern Ontario last weekend.

We ran the Lingham lake hydro line, then proceeded to explore some dirt tracks we found in our Backroads Map-book for Eastern Ontario.

Our trip was completed in my 2001 Nissan Xterra. I have only had it for about 7 months and other than some winter snow driving and a bit of mud sloshing in the spring this was my first "real" shakedown since I had bought it.

Few modifications, mostly PM including timing belt (and all other belts) some AC work as well as replacing the tires.

I am currently running 235 85R16 BFG AT tires. They fit with almost no rub (a bit of trimming on the front mud flap). this is just about the perfect size tire for this truck. I have no lift (and an almost 12 year old suspension.) On the hydro line we reached max flex (not much, although the rear sway bar has been removed) and there was no rubbing.

IMG_1262.jpg

My intention for this vehicle is not a rock crawler of any kind. I like to camp and mountain bike and explore, and this vehicle is perfect for that. My wife has a 2006 corolla which is perfect for us in all other on road aspects of life. This is my daily driver for work, and as such wont see too much more in terms of rock crawling performance modifications, as I believe it fulfills as my current needs off pavement.

Here are a few pictures from the first day, the hydro line, which was also by far the toughest stretch we encountered.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

We ended the day down a track that was supposed to take us to our campsite for the night, however it was closing in on us quickly and we were losing light. The track looked easy enough on the map but the first few km suggested otherwise. Our cottage ( beds bbq and beer) was only 30 minutes away and as the light was fading and bugs swarming we decided to bail on finding the campsite.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The following morning we set out to find some adventure!

we came across a few oddities back in the bush including an old rusted out pickup and what we are pretty sure was a formal personal stash pot growing operation.

Here are some pictures of the pickup, we didn't stop long as it was right near some real redneck looking no trespassing signs that screamed "i have a gun"

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

Later on in the day we came across this log cabin, was back in the woods but not too far off the track.

IMG_1281.jpg

we decided to take a look around inside and we saw this new looking high wattage lamps, as well as most of the caved in roof beams had a significant number of nails sticking from them. It was shortly after we left that we figured out the lights were probably for growing the nails for drying! It looks quite a few years since disused.

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

Most of the rest of the weekend was spent exploring back roads. We came across a few cool second growth forests as well as some nice areas. The bugs were the worst I have ever seen, and as such we didn't venture much outside the vehicle.

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My brothers dog buddy was also along for the trip

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

There was a lot of beautiful backwoods areas and we are hoping to come back and do some more exploring in the fall. The bugs we just too bad to stop and enjoy anything as well as the foliage providing some nice pinstripes.

here are a few more random pictures of the truck!

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
I just stumbled upon this. It looks really interesting to me! Some day soon I need to get in my truck and do some exploring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998