north to alaska

jackotheroad

The urge to go north is un-bear-able... so I am getting outfitted and leaving in late May. I have a '98 disco 1 and hauling a 14' fiberglass 'burro' travel trailer, about 1500lbs.

how accessable are parts and mechanics with land rover know-how up north, through Canada and Alaska?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I have no knowledge or advice for you; however, I will be watching this thread and your travels closely. My plan is to do this trip in 2014 when my youngest is 5 years old and my oldest is 18. I'd do it sooner but for some reason my wife doesn't think it's fun to travel while chasing a toddler around.:snorkel:

michaels

Explorer
read the thread with the "must-have" spare parts for a discover on any long distance, or even just weekend wheeling, trip. if you're handy with a wrench, i don't think you'll encounter anything you can't handle.

A gentleman who goes by the name Alan Stuart has contributed some time ago on this site can answer your questions. Use the search. You may find his trip pictures on EEs website

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/northbyrover/

you will find many here who are sympathetic or eager to share their trips

:)

I recommend you look around for competitive prices on overlanding kits. There has been a large increase in gear options. If you've never received a copy of Overland Journal you might consider just looking at some of their sponsors - everything from custom made gas tanks and water tanks that fit any place you want to storage packs that rest behind your seat, tents, kitchen, plastic gas tanks in all kinds of shapes and forms, radios, tires, and a plethora of improvised ideas and inventions

You may also look at Rovers North and feel comfortable just calling them up and running ideas or you might ask them to meet or beat prices - they have more experience in over landing prep and land roves than anyone in North America - been around for decades and great chaps

best of luck and be sure to come back and share your upgrades and trips

Michael Slade

Untitled
PLEASE do your timing chain before you go. Mine failed on my 90 RRC with 189K on it about 4 miles north of Teslin.

I had to have the truck flatbedded back to Portland. Cost? 1K. Cash.

You can take all the parts, manuals and know-how you want. I don't care. If something catastrophic happens you're gonna be settin' her on fire, or shipping her home.

Josh

Adventurer
I recommend you look around for competitive prices on overlanding kits. There has been a large increase in gear options. If you've never received a copy of Overland Journal you might consider just looking at some of their sponsors - everything from custom made gas tanks and water tanks that fit any place you want to storage packs that rest behind your seat, tents, kitchen, plastic gas tanks in all kinds of shapes and forms, radios, tires, and a plethora of improvised ideas and inventions...

No offense to this particular poster but this statement reflects the typical PoPo/OJ "gear forward" mentality.

Here's some alternative advice: skip the Gucci gear that OJ and it's sponsors have tried to convince you are "essentials" and use that money for fuel and time away from work.

How about that.. travel instead of pose (of course those with trust funds might still manage both).

Your trip to Alaska? You'll have a blast! And be well equipped in anything from a 15yo Dodge Neon to a 45' Princess tour bus. Services get a little spread out (by lower 48 standards) through NW Canada but otherwise it's an easy, paved, scenic, road trip.
Even with an old green Coleman cooler sitting on the back seat and no whiz-bang-solar-powered-gps-navigational-software on board.

Kind regards, Josh

adrenaline503

Explorer
I would agree with the above post. I don't know how much experience you have on longer trips, but the more you have the more you worry about. Where are you leaving from and where do you want to go? The distances up there tend to be much longer than you can imagine. It will be a lot of hours behind the wheel each day unless you have a lot of time. I would start with your route and spares then go form there.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I agree with the above as well. While I stayed in hotels (because I was moving to Alaska) I did it in a stock Jeep Wrangler with no special tools, tires, clothes, ect.

If anything, just make sure your vehicle is in good working order, buy a copy of the Mile Post and have fun!

Last edited:

skysix

Adventurer
Alaska trip by L'Rover

I've done the trip from Edmonton to Yellowknife to the start of the Alaska Highway through to Skagway and back south to Cold Lake then west to Vancouver all in a late 70's 1000cc Austin Mini with 2 spares, and air pump and tire tubes/repair kit while carrying a lot of weight - including 43USG of fuel in cans.

No real issues, some problems none requiring more than 2 days in the same spot (blew a CV while in the blasting area of the Giant Mine while offroading...they weren't happy and towed me out to the highway where I fixed it on the side of the road - well enough to get into town anyway (used some rocks - the longest part of the repair, finding ones that would fit and be close to sperical) where I could visit the local scrapyard.

If you stick to the Alaska Highway and it's feeder roads from Canada or the US - they are all paved so no worries. As long as you have a mechanically sound vehicle, know when it sounds 'wrong' and what MUST be fixed -vs- what can be macgyver'd together (like an Austin Mini rear suspension lift using coins and an aluminum can).

If you take the FAR more interesting gravel sideroads (like the run from Ft. St. John to Wrigley) you might want basic tools and camping gear - I pulled the trans/engine using a tripod made of felled trees and a come-long (hand powered 2 ton cable winch) so I could fix an oil pan with a hole in it (my fault - Mini's ground clearance isn't the greatest and I was where I probably shouldn't have been...but in my defense they can go a lot of places you'd never think they could if you can pick routes well / drive aggressively) which took 3 or 4 days and a lot of blood donated to local mosquitoes. Traffic can be almost nonexistant at some times of the year although with oil and gas exploration usually at least 2 or 3 vehicles will pass per day.

I wish I'd have thought of the "wrong way round" concept (some pics were up on here a while back - it is being done in a Mini Estate wagon) when I had the time to do it. Now I'm anchored with work/wife and can't hare off accorss continents on a whim....

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/fisher205/Alaska 2009/Alaska2009-07-25095.jpg

Get the Milepost magazine as a starting point...GPS might be nice but a decent set of low level 1:500k or so aviation maps will have topo and roads etc

Last edited:
A lot of your question depends on the route that you plan to take. I have driven from Texas to Alaska, then Alaska to Texas, and then Texas back to Alaska. All since Nov '08. As for the main highways, they are actually better when there is snow packed on them. There are some really bumpy areas during the summer. Also, there is a lot of road work usually going on during the summer. The milepost magazine is the best to have it contains so much information and phone numbers if you choose to call some of the places ahead of time to see if they are open. Some of the "gas stations" close starting in September for winter. Some just close when they run out of gas till the following summer when they can get re-supplied. I will be driving back to Texas from Fairbanks in May or June when I return from Iraq. The plan is to drive to Washington then down to Cali drop the family off and then head to Texas. From there I will pick up my 2 girls in San Antonio and we will drive back to Alaska through the East route. I actually have the milepost broken down into 100 page pdf files on my ipod so i don't have to carry the big book with me. They are also on my netbook that I am using. Cell phone service is non-existent in a lot of the areas (at least for my ATT phone and no external antenna). My first trip was a family of 5 and a cat in my Toyota FJ Cruiser. The last two were solo in my FJ. If you have any specifics you would like to ask just pm me.

PLEASE do your timing chain before you go. Mine failed on my 90 RRC with 189K on it about 4 miles north of Teslin.

I had to have the truck flatbedded back to Portland. Cost? 1K. Cash.

You can take all the parts, manuals and know-how you want. I don't care. If something catastrophic happens you're gonna be settin' her on fire, or shipping her home.

There's a LR dealer in Anchorage.

Charlie

jackotheroad

a lot of great input, thanks much. posted is my rig... although I borderline on the freedom of no trailer at all, but I do love the comforts of a bed and a place to make coffee at the drop of a hat, and insulation from the elements, especially if it gets cold. As long as I am not relegated to RV parks, I detest them.

Am going to get a rack and a few other essentials, a few extra parts... but doubtful I will go overboard. I will have everything checked soundly before taking off. good thing about this trip, I have no time restraints... if I can keep it cheap. an early retirement.... but not loaded pockets. if all goes well, I will turn 60 in July, somewhere in the vast north.

709854811_dADSV-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman