Northern Lite 610 for 1/2 Ton PU

I will quickly jump back in on this topic as an update to reinforce my / our point.

The N.L. 6.10 was great the way it was, after over 3 months driving around N. America and Europe the weight and size is great for my 2003 F-150. The roads in the UK and Ireland are very tight and you don't want a T/C that hangs over the sides or the back.

It's time to travel. Be safe, not scared.

Attachments

• Conner Pass WAW.jpg
    Conner Pass WAW.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Loch Ewe for the night 2.jpg
    Loch Ewe for the night 2.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 45
  • NC 500 %22 the Minch %22 coastal route.jpg
    NC 500 %22 the Minch %22 coastal route.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 47
  • S. Island WAW ( LS final resting place. ) .jpg
    S. Island WAW ( LS final resting place. ) .jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 47

The Bartender

As someone who owned a Northern Lite 610, and now a 8-4, i cant wait for the new 610 (updated details and pricing should be coming next week). The ceiling height, limited bed space, and overall lack of storage on the original made it way to small for me and my 6' tall height. Although i do wish the new version was lighter, when you compare it to a barebone Scout, its impressive how light they've made it, especially as a true 4 season camper.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Personally, I think the whole camper industry needs to change and be force to post the ACTUAL full wet weight of each camper, as it is leaving the factory. No guesstimates, no basic, stripped model weights but with whatever has been installed in that specific camper, full of water, propane, batteries, etc. and weigh it before it can be allowed to be sold to the customer.

This would allow people to know exactly what they are buying, weight wise and make informed choices.
The real weight is on the vin sticker on the exterior of the unit.

ExpoMike

The real weight is on the vin sticker on the exterior of the unit.

In my experience, those weight are never correct. A full wet weight is almost never listed and is typically a dry weight. Dry weight is meaningless. Full wet weight with all of the actual items in the actual camper are the only true numbers that have any meaning. My Northstar TC800 listed weight (one on the sticker) and actual wet weight are about 500 lbs difference.

I think some companies are starting to list the actual wet weight of the specific camper but it is not an industry standard nor law. I am willing to bet that more than 50% (like closer to 70%) of most slide in campers/truck combos on the road today, are over GVRW.

jetlag

I was very excited about the new 610 until I saw this picture. Awkwardly tall and massive. No thank you.

610-BL-BW.png

simple

Adventurer
I wonder if it's easier to keep the tanks 4 season rated ? Plus that's the way they build their campers. And looks like you might get some kind of long drawer storage, which is nice if sticking with a PU box. Interior head room will be better for sure

I looked at some new NLs recently. Looked pretty good. Have read on here that mainstream stuff is all junk and will fall apart after a few years. Don't know about that, looking at the NLs. I do see old ones still going around.

And I've read on here some pricing for buying a composite shell and building it out. Don't know about some of those numbers, having priced out a build myself. Once you get someone else involved, or go custom, up goes the cost.

Any word on pricing for this unit?

NLs have a rep for being expensive. 2024s are ~55 to 66K USD equivalent here in BC. New 2023s on the lot are less.

Still have to believe they are value for some folks.
I've owned 2 of them and while they have their own unique issues they were way better then the old stick built, pink fiberglass insulated, aluminum cladded designs. NL and Bigfoot don't fall apart under normal use.

Where they have issues is water leaking in and not being able to find it's way out. They might be better now but through 90's and 2000's the penetrations were sealed with butyl tape that has a tendency to fail after several years. It's manageable with maintenance by taking them apart and resealing every so often.

I agree with you that they do offer a lot of value for people in certain applications.

Regarding the 610 going on a half ton, I'd rather it be 10" lower without a basement. Lower CG and less wind resistance. The basement works ok for stashing skis, camp chairs etc. I'd rather use a flatbed and store items like that in the wasted bedside spaces.

rruff

Explorer
Regarding the 610 going on a half ton, I'd rather it be 10" lower without a basement. Lower CG and less wind resistance.
And less space in the sleeping berth.

I'm not sure how all you couples are managing it, but I designed mine for NS sleeping (so both could get in an out without crawling over the other) and enough headroom for "romantic exploits"... and a taller flatbed style made the most sense.

The 610 needs to be a slide-in though (inherently lower)... and so a basement isn't that silly. But since it's made in a mold they could have easily shaped it to be more aero and just have stand-up height in the center. Also, I'd prefer that they hug the cab for the "lowest" of the 1/2 tons, and the others can easily raise it with a sheet of foam.

simple

Adventurer
And less space in the sleeping berth.

I'm not sure how all you couples are managing it, but I designed mine for NS sleeping (so both could get in an out without crawling over the other) and enough headroom for "romantic exploits"... and a taller flatbed style made the most sense.

The 610 needs to be a slide-in though (inherently lower)... and so a basement isn't that silly. But since it's made in a mold they could have easily shaped it to be more aero and just have stand-up height in the center. Also, I'd prefer that they hug the cab for the "lowest" of the 1/2 tons, and the others can easily raise it with a sheet of foam.
I liked the old 8.5' Q lite and 9.5' lite series 1725 Dry weight.
The old brochure says 610 lite series 1050 lbs dry.

Regarding the headroom to get frisky, just pop open the emergency hatch and go giraffe style.

Corkster

As it stands, the Nucamp 620 with a north/south bed, a dinette that can actually work as a bed for a 3rd person, more windows, and cabinets that aren’t in that awful light maple looks like a better choice. Bummer as I was optimistic this would be more compelling than it turned out

simple

Adventurer
As it stands, the Nucamp 620 with a north/south bed, a dinette that can actually work as a bed for a 3rd person, more windows, and cabinets that aren’t in that awful light maple looks like a better choice. Bummer as I was optimistic this would be more compelling than it turned out
What is the construction method and insulative qualities on the Nucamp? They have a slick looking modern finish but that could be out of style quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online