Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland - Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build - Alberta, Canada

Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland
Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build
Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have just put down a deposit for an October 2021 delivery of our Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer (NTT). We have selected their "5x8 Coloured" model which allows us to select from nearly 2 dozen aluminum skin colours for the walls. The roof is a white laminate. Their website: https://northernteardrop.com/5x8-coloured-aluminum/

This all started in August of this year (2020), while camping in our lovely MSR tent at Tunnel Mountain in Banff. The guy beside us had an older 5x8 teardrop which he bought used. My wife was really enthralled with it. After some thinking and the launch of the Bronco. We put a reservation down to get a new 2021 Bronco Badlands and soon after started research on teardrops. The problem was we (I mean me), didn't want just an off the shelf unit. We are new to overlanding and off-road exploration, but not knew to adventure travelling.

Build Key Drivers:
- Long-term reliability
- Dollar value (not cheap, but value for what we got).
- Local fabricator (as local as we can get)
- Someone who would be willing to work with us to create something unique.

After some research, a friend who had a Taco told me about Northern Teardrop in Salmo, BC. I contacted them (Owner is Dale) and had some good chats. I also had some other chats with 2 other Canadian fabricators. While there was one closer to me in Sherwood Park, I felt Dale was the best choice as he was open to some of my requests. While I am new to trailer builds, I have owned one previous RV trailer so I had some understanding of trailer fabrication. Also, as an Owner of a commercial interior design firm, I design for a living. I use AutoCAD daily and always work to strive to create the best for my Clients, and now that Client is myself and my wife.

HABITAT:
Fast forward to this week. Our deposit is in and we have secured the last of the 2021 units to be made. NTT only makes 22-24 units a year as it's a small family business. Our final order with them was as follows:
- 5x8 Coloured unit
- Delete chassis (YES, delete chassis...I will get to that below).
- Delete kitchen (YES, delete kitchen...I will get to that below).
- Add 12 gallon water kit
- Upgrade to all colour changing amber/white LED exterior lights for the porch lights and galley kitchen
- Insulated Roof and Floor.
- Sides will be the standard offered 3/4" plywood construction
- Underside will be done in a black or charcoal bed liner
-

CHASSIS:
- As an avid car person, someone I got to know over the last 3 years is a like minded Audi lover. Turns out he is a welder. And the more we talked, I eventually found out they make custom trailer chassis and have made them for two of the most well known Alberta bases off-road trailer manufacturers.
- So while I had almost hired a different fabricator in Southern Alberta, I decided to choose my friend as he is LOCAL, has made many of these and can help me get what I want on my budget.
- NOTE: Overall tongue length is probably going to be reduced, final length to be determined. Very preliminary sketch.
- Chassis will be welded 2x3 + 3x3 HSS
- Steel-It- weldable matte black paint
- 2000# front tongue jack
- Custom front mounted metal storage box with slide-outs for our Alpicool 75L fridge/freezer (I am a new importer of Alpicool into Alberta) These will be imported and distributed by my new company: North 53 Overland ()
- Battery Storage & Solar Charger storage unit with inputs
- A pair of ARK corner steadies
- Spot between box and habitat for two NATO jerry can holders
- Adjustable vertical posts for area lights
- @Timbren 3500HD standard height axel-less trailer suspension with 6x5.5 hubs (to match the Bronco wheels) + electric brakes. While the trailer will be under 2000lbs, I always feel safer with brakes.
- 2" rear hitch receiver so we can add bike mount or other accessories
- Tires: 285/70 R17 (to match whatever comes on the Bronco)
- Wheels: 17", 6x5.5, to be determined
- Custom bash plates at water tank and other areas as required.
- Custom rolled fenders with steps
- Custom flip-up/lockable steps for each of the doors.
- Rear LED tail lights: LED Halo Brake/Rear lights

KITCHEN/GALLEY:
- As mentioned, I am a commercial interior designer and wanted something not standard, as such I will be designing and fabricating our own galley kitchen at my parent's shop in Edmonton. By shop, I mean my dad's oversized RV garage. A nice 15' x 50' RV garage with 18' ceilings and a mini millwork shop. By getting our trailer in the fall of 2021, it gives me all winter to outfit and design the galley for spring 2022 use.
- Kitchen will have teak edge grain wood counters.
- Accuride or alternative lock-in/lock-out slides
- push-button latches for all doors
- All cabinet fronts will be pre-finished birch plywood
- Custom pull-out for 2-burner stove + cutting board
- A spot for everything, and everything in it's spot.
- The Alpicool 75L fridge/freezer (https://www.alpicool.com/details/overviews.html?id=9)

This blog will be updated as new designs or information comes available. I ask that all comments be positive and not off topic;) But that said, I always love feedback and ideas. Design is an ebb and flow of concepts and discussion to achieve the best possible outcome within a set of prescribed parameters.

IMAGES BELOW
- Below is an image of the new NTT Overland model. This was just launched this fall by NTT in collaboration with the previously mentioned Edmonton based off-road company. While I love it, I feel my build will be more customized and unique from what I have seen done by others.

dscf4873.jpg

- Preliminary chassis design below.
CHASSIS.jpg

Last edited:
Black Friday and Cyber Monday provided a few good deals for the trailer as well as got some much needed items to get the build going.

City Spring - Edmonton, AB: Many thanks for getting the new @Timbren 3500HD axel-less suspension, Dexter hubs & brakes so quickly.
IMG_4392.JPG

Ordered 2 new Ark Performance, top load NATO jerry can holders from Kakadu Camping in BC:
Kakadu.jpg

Can't go anywhere without some coffee. New GSI, thermal stainless steel 33oz french press coffee maker from Valhalla Pure Outfitters. No, the Rocket Espresso machine isn't in the trailer, but that would be pretty epic.
IMG_4428.jpg

All chef's need a new knife. While I have a nice collection of carbon steel Japanese knives, I decided to stay with stainless for off-road. New Tojiro Ergos Bunka 170mm chef's knife from Knifewear, Edmonton, AB:

Tojiro.jpg

jwiereng

Frame sketch looks good. Tongue length looks good. I always like a longer tongue, tows nice, reverses nicer. long also allows tow vehicle hatch to operate, with out chance of bonkin on jack.

Consider two trailer hitches on the rear, spaced out, less wiggle. Also consider tying the rear hitch receiver to the second last crossmember in addition to the rear bumper/crossmember

Frame sketch looks good. Tongue length looks good. I always like a longer tongue, tows nice, reverses nicer. long also allows tow vehicle hatch to operate, with out chance of bonkin on jack.

Consider two trailer hitches on the rear, spaced out, less wiggle. Also consider tying the rear hitch receiver to the second last crossmember in addition to the rear bumper/crossmember

Thanks. What do you mean by two trailer hitches on the rear? Just curious. The final chassis thankfully will be reviewed and fabricated by a specialized welding company who makes chassis for a few well known high-end off-road trailer builders:)

jwiereng

Good idea to outsource certain things to those who specialize.

Consider two hitch receivers in the rear. If you foresee a cargo tray for firewood etc, or even a bike rack, dual hitch can be lot less wiggly.

Also can be used at camp for stabilizers.

Attachments

• 4474B771-058F-42D4-B8A0-9E1EC7E413D8.jpeg
    4474B771-058F-42D4-B8A0-9E1EC7E413D8.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 34
Good idea to outsource certain things to those who specialize.

Consider two hitch receivers in the rear. If you foresee a cargo tray for firewood etc, or even a bike rack, dual hitch can be lot less wiggly.

Also can be used at camp for stabilizers.

Good idea about the wood tray. We will actually have something in the front though for that. The trailer will already have corner jacks :). 2000lb per corner.

zgfiredude

I'll echo the suggestion for two rear receivers that are tied into the next forward cross member. Soooo much less wiggling and rattling with two vs. one, and much sturdier attached to two cross members. Perhaps give consideration for the receiver/receivers to come through the rear framing member vs. the usual mounting below. This will offer more ground clearance and less things to catch on the ground when you go through a dip when off road. Otherwise it looks really good!

RIG UPDATE:

Happy New Year. So this past weekend, the wife and I took a change on our rig and pulled the trigger on a 2021 JLU Rubi. We are cancelling the 2021 Bronco order for various reasons: unknown delivery, possible 1st model year issues, unknown final specs and costs keep rising. Thankfully the GM of the Ford dealership who is a friend referred us to his sister store and the GM of a Jeep dealership. So that was great to still help a friend out.

Final specs:
  • 2021 JLU Rubicon
  • 3.6L V6 with e-torque & 8-speed auto
  • White with white fenders
  • Factory 33 K02's
  • Dark Saddle Leather
  • Steel Bumper Group
  • LED Package
  • U-Connect 4C Group + Sound Group
  • Safety Group
  • Cold Climate Group
  • Sky One-Touch Power Top (This was a HUGE selling feature for us)
  • Integrated Off-Road Package
  • Cargo Management Group with Trail Rail
  • Tow Package
  • Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
  • 4:1 Rock-Trac HD Full-Time 4WD System

TRAILER UPDATE:
Here is a preliminary rendering of the trailer. A few things to get updated, but all in all, this is what it will be like.
- Final colours to be finalized
- New hubs to be ordered to be 5x5 for the Jeep instead of the 6x5.5 from the Bronco.
- Alpicool Fridges leave China next week.
- Galley will include a 12 gallon fresh water and a collapsible rinse sink, a pull-out solid teak cutting board, butcher block counters, pass-thru to habitat, magnetic area for knives and spices while cooking and probably a cook partner 22" dual-burner stove. On the driver's side there will be a custom 5lb lockable propane tank holder designed by me and made in Edmonton.
- Final wheels to be selected now that we know what the Rig will be.
- Lastly removeable 2000# jacks at each reach corner which then get mounted to the front of the box when in travel which is also the MaxTrax location.
- Custom designed, locking, flip-up steps at each door.
- Front metal box includes battery box on the driver's side. Will probably run two 6V in series with solar connection and a shelf for other items above. Passenger side will have slide-out for the 75L fridge/freezer. On top will be a Smittybuilt Defender, 2'x4' rack for wood and other things as well as two (2) Kakadu top loading NATO Jerry Can holders.
- Final build will also have custom roof rack to support awning and privacy room.
- Updated renderings with Rig in the next 1-2 weeks.

Prelim.jpg

jwiereng

Renderings look great.

A few ideas to consider, (if you have not already considered them)

Reverse lights, nice for backing up in the dark. also nifty if they can be switched on from trailer to act as area lighting
Angled Fenders with flat place to step

Renderings look great.

A few ideas to consider, (if you have not already considered them)

Reverse lights, nice for backing up in the dark. also nifty if they can be switched on from trailer to act as area lighting
Angled Fenders with flat place to step

Thanks. There will be some reverse lights on the final version. Looking at some ditch lights and the bumper will be sticking past the sides a bit. There will be a control switch as well.

As for the fenders, they are still in the works. Not a fan of any prefabricated ones I have seen and I have to be cautious of the fender and the door locations. I may look at something custom, not sure yet. But the fact that we have steps will allow us to get up there. The habitat is only about 50"H so once you are on the step you will be looking over the trailer.

UPDATE - January 7, 2021

Well found out today that the ordered and received Timbren 3500HD can't accept 5x5 hubs:( I had ordered everything when we had decided to get the Bronco. Now that we got the Jeep, I needed to pivot on the suspension, wheels & hubs. Like many, I wanted the trailer and the Jeep to have the same setup so that I didn't have to add a spare to the Trailer as the Jeep has 5x5 bolt pattern.

In talks with Luke at Timbren today, he gave me some great feedback. I initially contemplated going with non-HD suspension and exchanging what I had, but then the spindles would be less wide and might create issues with my wheels and tires rubbing the trailer. As such, my final decision today is that the trailer and Jeep will run different wheel bolt patterns:( The style will be the same; however the Jeep will run 5x5 and the trailer 6x5.5 and we are now adding a tire carrier to the front to hold the spare. While not quite what I wanted. I appreciate the feedback Timbren today@

Updated Chassis Plan:
SharedScreenshot22.jpg

Trailer wheels are now ordered via Wildcard Offroad in Edmonton.
- Venomrex 17" VR-602, Highland Bronze, 6 x 5.5 w/ 285/70 R17 KO2's
VR-602DesertBronze_1_4a0438c1-0b54-4d47-b919-e701666b222a_2048x.jpg

Jeep wheels:
- Venomrex 17" VR-501, Highland Bronze, 5 x 5 w/ 285/70 R17 KO2's
45233162501_2c6fb4c796_k_2048x.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior