Northstar or Hawk?

phird05

My feeling is he doesn't have much experience! There are an endless number of people, me included, that are totally satisfied with their current campers. Those that are so closed minded to say there is nothing else but FWC or ATC worth buying, really didn't do their homework. We all made our choices for what we thought was best for us. I looked for three years and DID my homework, and found the quality and workmanship to be equal to or better than the others. There are several reasons I feel my Hallmark far outweighs the design and the functionality of either FWC or ATC. Yes, I researched all of the major manufacturers before purchasing. I dug into every detail of them and this was my choice. I have talked with numerous people and posted several comments, never making a blanket statement about one versus the other. Only that if you do your homework and take your time with your decision, you won't have any regrets.

I love really strong coffee, but hate the koolaid! :coffee:

Good Camping!

Paul

Colby Jack

Traveler
Great link and info!

Sorry to hijack this thread. What an awesome link that was with great pics. I am looking at a 650. I have been shopping campers for awhile, but the pickins are slim up here. I've got a short bed, and that cuts me out of half of the small market in Alaska. For 3k, I'm really leaning towards this northstar, at least to figure out what we like/dislike, want/don't need. Thanks for the help!

Colby Jack

knobbytracks

Observer
Colby Jack,

Here are some pics of my rig. Sorry I don't have any of the interior.

Also, check out the Northstar brochure. My pickup is in there. I think on page 6 (?).

As you can see, I have a standard bed Tundra and the TC800XB camper (8ft.). The floor of the TC650 is short. I got what I think was a really good deal on mine brand new. I mentioned in an earlier post I wasn't sure about the fold out bed option. This camper was the only one on the lot, but I am glad I went with the pop-out bed for the extra storage and place for the pups. Even though I never plan to sell, I also look at it as a selling point.

In all honesty, I've had mine coming up on 3 years and the only complaint is an easy fix. I am not happy with the table support. I really never use the table so it's not that big of a deal and as I mentioned, it is an easy fix to stabilize it.

I had an '87 Palomino pop-up and used it quite a bit. I purchased the Northstar knowing that I wanted a pop-up camper that would last AND had a good reputation.

Attachments

• Spearfish City Campground.JPG
    Spearfish City Campground.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Beartrap '10.JPG
    Beartrap '10.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Morad Park fall '10.JPG
    Morad Park fall '10.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

J Rod

I am getting mixed reviews on what rated tire I should put on my truck. I am putting a Northstar 650 on my GMC, crewcab/short box, 1/2 ton. I read about E rated tires but after calling around, I am being told Idont need that much tire on the half ton, even though the truck will be MAXED out.

Can anyone tell me if a "C" or even a "D" rtaed tire will do?

OTR

Adventurer
I am getting mixed reviews on what rated tire I should put on my truck. I am putting a Northstar 650 on my GMC, crewcab/short box, 1/2 ton. I read about E rated tires but after calling around, I am being told Idont need that much tire on the half ton, even though the truck will be MAXED out.

Can anyone tell me if a "C" or even a "D" rtaed tire will do?

I highly recommend using E-rated tires if you're going to be adding a camper. That is what I have done and haven't had any issues. You'll also get some added side wall protection to go along with the extra side wall stability when loaded.

johng

attachment.php

knobbytracks, did the wedge looking thing between your cab and cabover come with your camper or is it aftermarket?

I could really use that to help with wind deflection on my rig.

knobbytracks

Observer
J Rod,

The awning is home-made: tarp from Harbor freight, tent poles from Walmart. I had a friend sew in a length of rope into the tarp and this slides into the awning channel on my camper.

Johng,

The wedge is home-made as well. Some people have taken vinyl fence posts to make theirs. I used the horizontal "slat" to make mine. I did notice less wind noise but cannot honestly say if it helped mpg.

zidaro

Explorer
attachment.php

knobbytracks, did the wedge looking thing between your cab and cabover come with your camper or is it aftermarket?

I could really use that to help with wind deflection on my rig.

guarantee it is home made. prolly 1X4. Not a Northstar option.
I would think a wind deflector for a roofrack would do the same and be removable. Just use one crossbar along the front of cab with the deflector on it.

On my TC650, the camper flexes enough offroad that if i had that little clearance between the roof and camper, i would be contacting it regularly. Id est. front of camper can easily move +4" vertically toward the cab on one side or other on a flexing obstacle.

J Rod

DO NOT buy a "C" rated tire. What's the approximate total vehicle weight you expect when you're loaded for a trip (I don't know the max load of your particular truck)? Our Tiger is ~6,000lbs total when loaded for a long trip. We have "D" rated Yokohama Geolanders and could not be happier with the performance.

The I will be at about 7300 lbs after loading up, slight over the max load rating for the truck. I have had the Yokohama Geolanders on it for the last two sets...great tire. I think I will follow your lead on this. Thanks for the input.

knobbytracks

Observer
guarantee it is home made. prolly 1X4. Not a Northstar option.
I would think a wind deflector for a roofrack would do the same and be removable. Just use one crossbar along the front of cab with the deflector on it.

On my TC650, the camper flexes enough offroad that if i had that little clearance between the roof and camper, i would be contacting it regularly. Id est. front of camper can easily move +4" vertically toward the cab on one side or other on a flexing obstacle.

Zidaro,
I had a Yakima wind deflector on before I made this. I used the factory plexiglass piece, and later, a larger home-made one. This wedge is much better and quieter. I've taken the rig off-road quite a bit with no problems with the wedge hitting my cab.

gene

I have never owned any of the wood framed pop ups such as Northstar or Hallmark, so I have no idea if they hold up over hard off-road use or not.

I have had an FWC and now an ATC. What is important to me is that the lighter ATC and FWC on a 3/4 allow you to forgo the problematic air bags and helper springs. Considering the trails I drive, I need to keep my suspension flexible. When I read the nightmares of people dealing with air bags etc, I am so pleased to have made the decision I have. I go way back in the back country, I don't need no stinkin' problems.

I would suggest ATC. Nice ATC site here: www.jayaronowcampersales.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle