Not all who wander are lost: ~11k mile North American summer adventure - 50% covered

rwright07

Life is a highway
This summer I hit the road in my '06 Dodge 4x4 to explore the western US/Canadian parks and backroads. June 25 to August 20 I had the chance to explore some of the most beautiful scenery and take some fantastic dirt roads/4x4 trails. Many thanks to the various members on this board for excellent route suggestions and for trip reports that helped me develop my plan.

Click the map for a link to the full route:

I spent the previous 9 months getting parts and plans together, and things worked out as well as they could have.

I started out in FL and cruised across the Southeast, once I hit Texas I started to head north and do some real exploring.
I deviated a bit initially because i was behind schedule, so I missed out on Carsbad Caverns and the Great Sand Dunes, but after that largely stuck to the plan.

Here are a few teaser pictures, I will get more up soon and begin telling the story. How much detail depends on the interest level here.
FHmbZkxh.jpg

Suspension install FL
Thanks to the help of Cam, Kelly, and JP Donovan construction for allowing weekend use of their sweat, space, and equipment.

XpvMQreh.jpg

Vermillion Cliffs AZ
South of Page AZ after exploring Grand Staircase-Escalante and the western edge of Lake Powell. Found this amazing rock formation a few miles up a VERY sandy side trail.

Syvd73Sh.jpg

Canyonlands Maze district exploration UT
Deep into the backcountry, on a quest to find the green river and escape the heat. 26 mile trail ONE WAY past the turn off to the Maze Overlook camp.

hT1BWHzh.jpg

trail to dollhouse camp UT
Amazingly scenic, rather technical, and well worth the effort. Make sure to bring plenty of fuel and water. This 13 mile trail took a couple hours at our pace... the guide book suggested a multi-day excursion to cover this route and return.

AKipKCzh.jpg

Imogene Pass summit CO
13,114 ft. Ascending to the northwest from Telluride. This trail was provides fantastic views and passes a number of mining sites. A nice break from the pucker factor of the prior day's Black Bear Pass run.

Fb50Uf4h.jpg

Engineer Pass/Cinnamon Pass camp CO
More amazing alpine scenery, with easy access from the Silverton side. Engineer Pass and Animas forks are also required visits. Too bad I crushed my Canon T3i before we went up Engineer, the scenery near the summit is unlike anything I have ever seen.

KbmR3eAh.jpg

Red Rocks wildlife refuge MT
Amazing stretch of dirt road from West Yellowstone to Lima. Very fast if you have the suspension to soak up the washboard. Lots of wildlife, rolling hills, and several lakes to see along the way.

6ZN9AW3h.jpg

Going to the Sun highway MT
The view from the summit looking back toward the Kalispell side. What a fantastic day. The park was even kind enough to tear up a good deal of the road and add several more miles of dirt to my tally.

6GsqRl6h.jpg

Bow lake AB
The Canadian Rockies are too stunning for words. The accessibility and potential for iconic landscape shots is unparalleled. Our fantastic luck with weather is apparent here as well.

jZOktvxh.jpg

Surprise Lake WA
Back home in the Pacific Northwest. This is one of my favorite places to get away. Only about 2 hours (and a good deal of PNW pinstriping) from home.

0insaYDh.jpg

Irish Lake OR
"When you cant get what you want, settle for something better."
My original route through central OR turned out to be a single track trail. A couple hours spent pouring over forest service maps and I had come up with a new route, and couldn't have been happier with it.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Observer
the pics so far are great. really interested in reading and seeing more about your trip. i'm also really interested in hearing about your truck and set up. i'm currently thinking about getting a diesel for expo travel.
thanks for sharing.

rwright07

Life is a highway
The truck is a 2006 5.9L Cummins 4x4. Last year of the 5.9 and without all the smog nonsense. Started trip with 130k.
Mods to truck:
-Carli Dominator 3" (3.0" king reservoir shocks, progressive coils/leafs, control arms, sway bar) with 35" toyo m/ts and steel wheels (you cant hammer alloys back round)
-Power wagon factory E-Locker - 2500/3500 diesel trucks have the same AAM 9.25 front axle so the carriers swap (PM me for technical details if you go this route)
-Factory LSD rear - If you have a factory open diff, I would suggest a posi instead. The LSD is great for the street but gets overpowered in the rough stuff.
-Edge Juice w/ Attitude - not necessary for most offroading, but handy in desert/sand. Mostly handy for the various extra gauge displays.
-Plate steel bumpers with 12k lb winch up front
-Rock sliders (2x6 .25" wall rectangle tube with 2" DOM supports and plate gussets)
-OBA - sliders are drilled and tapped for quick disconnects and air supply lines
-12v Edgestar FP430 fridge, 43quarts
-Synergy suspension steering box brace
-Synergy Sit shower shave kit - 12v pump and heat exchanger in line with heater core for showering. Also comes with camp toilet and wag bags for use as required by park regs.
-CVT Mt Rainier roof tent - I wish i would have gone a bit smaller. this tent is as wide as the truck and was a PITA in certain tight, off camber spots and with low hanging branches.
-Contractor topper and ladder rack, Coleman Rendezvous stove, 20lb propane tank, tools, wiring supplies, recovery eqpt, full spare set of TREs (which i needed 2 of), 5 extra gallons fuel, 5-20 gallons water

I couldnt have been more happy. I got decent offroad mileage (9-14) and better hwy mileage (13-15) towing my friends jeep YJ than it gets driving itself. RTT hurts mileage big time.
I have since added a Carli long travel airbag kit to help with the full expo loadout.

Last edited:

rwright07

Life is a highway
Suspension install

Truck build and parts:

FQ8avTIh.jpg

Carli diff gaurd and sway bar

BLm1fGSh.jpg

installed

71L7sj1h.jpg

Shiny parts :D

2QIL6LHh.jpg

KUUZlGVh.jpg

Front end almost finished

glSHEf2h.jpg

testing flex and ensuring no component interference

rwright07

Life is a highway
First real destinations: Page AZ, Glen Canyon Dam, Grand-Staircase Escalante/Lake Powell, Vermillion Cliffs

West Texas

New Toyos

Near Monument Valley

sLqFmcxh.jpg

First of 3 times getting stuck in 11k miles - definitely the most embarrassing, also this happened while attempting to get the above photo... :p

CFoFEXnh.jpg

Near gunsight butte overlooking Lake Powell

More soon. Uploading photos is taking much longer than i hoped

Last edited:

rwright07

Life is a highway

Lake Powell from Gunsight Butte

Glen Canyon Dam

Old turbine runner on display

Lake Powell view from the dam

Vermillion Cliffs

Grand Canyon

Photos of the grand canyon never seem to do it justice

Bison along the hwy on the way out of GC NP

rwright07

Life is a highway
Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks

Route through AZ and UT

Some of my favorites from Zion NP

Bryce Canyon favorites:

Next up: Highway 12 from Bryce canyon to canyonlands. If you are going that direction, it is one not to be missed.

Last edited:

rwright07

Life is a highway
Here is our 25 minute Utah highlight reel:

Hwy 12 is not to be missed, it is impossible to capture on film. The entire drive you are surrounded by an incredible landscape panorama.

After we passed Capitol Reef National park, we took Poison Springs road into Canyonlands Maze district instead of the long washboard road to the Hans Flats ranger station.
The scenery and isolation were unparalleled everywhere in the Maze.

Poison springs was amazing, and relatively untraveled - even compared to the main road within the Maze.

After poison springs, our camp was reserved at the Maze overlook. We got an early start and put in alot of seat time exploring.
We dropped the other trucks at the intersection that heads out 26 miles to the green river via the Millard Canyon trail. It was too hot without AC in the other trucks, and we could make some serious time in my dodge thanks to my Carli valved 3" Kings.

After an afternoon at the river, escaping the 110* heat we headed back to the Maze Overlook camp. We were entirely unprepared for the views that awaited us.

A little celebration was in order

The next day we packed up and headed out early to Dollhouse.

Last edited:

rwright07

Life is a highway

We made it back out to the main road and went back south to the Dollhouse junction. The junction with the Dollhouse trail is a 4 way intersection, Dollhouse heads out to the east and the poison springs road departs to the west.

This trail turned out to be more technical than what we had seen so far. The dollhouse trail is 12 miles and took us a few hours to complete. The guidebook recommends a multiday excursion and a capable vehicle. Often times the only thing that marked the trail were gouges in the rock, rock piles at ledges, or rubber left behind.

Once again it was extremely hot in the afternoon, so we hiked down to the Colorado river along an ancient Anasazi indian footpath - that turned out to be a set of stairs essentially that traversed the canyon walls.

Here we met the only other humans we came across during out time in the Maze, a group of experienced rafters.

More Utah to come, then Colorado!
I am working on finishing some video editing and then I will include the footage from UT and CO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78