NOt as good as the Aussie ones but...

Strider

Observer
Thinking of getting one of these. They are definitely not up to par with the Aussie versions, but maybe they are good enough.
If I had a place to work making one would be a great project, but without a garage its just a royal P.I.A. I figure changing the hitch to a pintle of more modern off road version would make a big difference. I would tow it with my 2008 FJC since it has a 5000 lb tow rating. The JK I think is 3000 or 3500.

I hope to do do some over-landing into the Grand Canyon North Rim, Death Valley, to Alaska (eventually) etc. Anyone ever had one of these or know anything about them?

http://www.affinityrv.com/console/watermark_large.php?src=50602
JAYCO.jpg

http://www.rvt.com/photos2/6684/5966684/main.jpg
AR ONE.jpg

I like the AR-ONE better. Seems more robust somehow.

fortel

Adventurer
I don't know, the Airstream/wienermobile mutant RV with the right lift and 35s would be pretty cool.

Back when I was doing the RV thing, seemed like Starcraft trailers had noticeably better construction than some of the other companies' offerings. That said, I don't know anything about the specific models you posted above. The one thing in both that seems problematic is the pull-out step for the door on both is hanging low behind the wheel. Those steps are pretty flimsy and it wouldn't take much of a hit to bend them pretty badly. Can't see the black and gray water drains but typical U.S. travel trailer construction puts the drains really low also. I would go look at them in person if you can and cast a pretty critical eye to whats hanging low and subject to damage when taking them off the pavement.

Strider

Observer
I saw the Jayco and the bottom was covered w a plastic shield of sorts. I would likely remove those steps and use step stool or fold up of some sort.

alia176

Explorer
I'm no RV expert but I'd look at:
- can you easily insulate pipes under the camper?
- plumbing too low?
- is the chassis made of thick(er) material?
- how is the front tongue attached to the main chassis or is the whole thing one unit?
- are the cabinets glued & screwed or stapled?
-compare the weight and how your rig can handle it.
- how will adding more gear affect the overall weight distribution?
- water tank(s) above the axle?
- electrical system can handle a solar system?
- propane hookup for outside cooking?
- how about an external shower hookup?

As much as I love the sprung over look, having a camper that minimizes air drag would be my priority. Fuel econ is the largest cost on any of these trips and I always try to maximize on that.

Good luck.

TwinStick

Explorer
I like the Starcraft AR-One Extreme's. They are absolutely NOT a hardcore off-road trailer. That said, I think they will sell a ton of the Extreme versions of this camper. It is all most people want: the ability to get a little off the beaten path, go down a dirt lane-way with ruts & not have to worry about ripping off the plumbing. We currently have a 30' toyhauler & even though it is designed to haul atv's & such, we are limited as to where we can take it. It sits MUCH lower than the AR-One Extremes.

It is about time the industry wakes up & makes what people want. I think it would be even better to be able to get a roof top 13,500 btu A/C unit along with the side mounted one, for people who like to travel in the summer to hot places (like death valley, moab utah, arizona, texas, etc).

We will be going to look at one soon & discus options. I dread it though because i have never, ever talked to a sales person (in travel trailers anyway) who knows much about the products they sell. When it comes to off-road trailers, it is a totally different story. They know their stuff.

Strider

Observer
Thanks.
Good information.

Have to admit it is frustrating not to have a choice of a suitable camper for under $30,000!
Also frustrating not having a garage to just build my own. I believe I can build one to much tougher specs at a fraction of the price. But, it is what it is...

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, we just ordered & bought a Starcraft AR-One 18QB Extreme today. 8-12 weeks before delivery. Had to be ordered. We opted for the roof top 13,500 BTU A/C (think summertime temps in southern/western states) vs the side mount 8000 BTU unit (can't get both), as height is not an issue for us. Can't wait. That is camper #1 for us. I understand that this is NOT a true off-road camper, but it will allow us to get off the beaten path a little---in luxury with the wife. We plan on camper/trailer #2 being a Schutt Industries XVenture X-2 Extreme Duty. Going to look at one of those next week. Looking forward to retirement. Can't wait.

2005 KeyStone Tail Gator 278RR is for sale. It is a toyhauler/camper/Sport Utility Trailer.

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer

NOT a real hard core off-road trailer I know. It will get us well off the beaten path though, in real comfort. Future plans: truck cap w/rack, slide out in bed, 2-ARB 82qt fridge freezers w/batteries.

We picked it up yesterday. We love it. They were able to use our old hitch/WD system & sway control (rated for 14,000 lbs) on this light little thing. 375 lb hitch weight. 3200 lbs. Truck don't even know it is there. Had it up to 75 & no sway, no wiggle, no porpoising at all. It tracked excellent too. 235/75/15 tires. Found almost everywhere.

It does have the typical American made/cheaply made bulls**t assembly issues though. Today, i had to remove the propane regulator mount & relocate it higher. It was in direct contact with the battery box & i could not even open it---FAIL. Also, propane tank is sitting on 2 pieces of angle with 2 bolts through the bottom ring of tank. It wobbles all over the place---FAIL. Also, can't put 2 batteries side by side because they ran all the wiring on the inside of frame rail---FAIL. I will address these issues myself.

TwinStick

Explorer
So, I replaced the cheap, crappy, super thin wood under the kitchen dinette cushions with some nice 1/2" thick finished both sides, birch plywood. Also added the same on top of the stock wood, that the mattress sits on. I then used the leftover wood to make a HD, super braced L-bracket for the 24" Vizio flat screen TV. Used a full motion mount, bolted it to the upright side of L-bracket & screwed the entire thing to the counter top where TV was supposed to go. Works excellent.

??? Has anyone ever traveled the highway with a flat screen mounted to a full motion mount ??? I will certainly remove it before any unpaved road travel but wondering if i should do/or have to do the same for road travel. Thanks for any feedback.

rlynch356

Defyota
Any other update on it - how do you like after using it?
I was looking at LivinLite version of 13bhb with the bearcat wheels but frankly i think this can satisfy 85% of my requirements for 1/2 the cost.

TwinStick

Explorer
We wanted simple. I open & close 2 doors & i am in bed sleeping. No slides. We wanted a hard side so we don't get turned away out west. (had a friend that bought a hybred & they said no tents or tent sides because of the bears---even though a determined bear could get into ours as well probably).

We like it. I temp put our 2 Thermarest 25x77 base camp xl's (they do stick out a little) under the mattress, to help with our numb hips issues. Maybe a new mattress at some point will be in order. It is simple, small. ELECTRIC AWNING ROCKS !!! Love the simple set up. I use my Ridgid battery operated drill to raise & lower the stabilizers. We try to cook outside as much as possible. Just use the inside stove for hot water for her tea & to percolate my coffee. The tv set up i installed works GREAT. Can watch from dinette or the bed with the full motion mount i installed. I remove the tv & lay it on the bed while traveling & use a ratchet strap to hold it in place (speed tested from 60-0 when an idiot pulled out in front of me). As i said, i reinforced the kitchen dinette area & the bed. I will be adding some small ridgid led lights for area lighting at some point (complete with red, green & blue lens covers---just to change things up once in a while & still have light without blinding the neighbors. I am thinking under the camper mounting right now. I installed some tie downs in dinette area so i can put our 5 gal igloo water jug & the 50 qt ARB cooler (or an ordinary cooler for drinks), also use a ratchet strap for this.

My invention is complete for my speedy camper jack. WORKS AWESOME !!! One of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-ton-trailer-stabilizer-jack-96406.html ......I had a 1/4" thick steel plate welded on top (all the way around), then had them cut a piece of 1/4" wall, 3" inside dia. pipe, 2" long. Then cut that in half length wise & weld 1 half on top (all the way around) of the 1/4" steel plate. It cradles the axle so it will NOT slip off. Entire camper weighs 3200#, this jack is rated at 5000# & i will only be lifting one tire at a time an inch or 2 off the ground. Using my Ridgid 18v impact it works like a champ. VERY easily & quickly lifts a side. Should be able to change a flat & be on my way in 10-15 minutes tops. Jack was 32$ welding & steel was 42$.

My truck cap is in. It will be installed tomorrow. Can't wait. Then i can get going on my home made bed slide to mount the 82 qt & 50 qt ARB fridge/freezers. I got a screaming deal on this too: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...verters/_/N-1100565/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880 .......190 on sale for 152, - the 20 coupon i got at the fair, LE/Military discount & our 55 cabelas points, we paid 82$ !!! 20 amp x 2.

I will see if my kids can take pics & help me post them on here if you are interested ???

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer

Cap is on. LOVE this thing so far. We had some torrential rain yesterday. No leaks while driving or sitting still. Time to get making the bed slide now. And a custom bike rack for the rear bumper of camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998