not for USA (yet): Fiat Strada compact pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
An Autoblog editor drives a small pickup made by Fiat called the Strada.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/20/2013-fiat-strada-first-drive-review/

Here's the Strada in "Adventure" trim, as tested. It has 2 plus 2 seating.

FiatStradaAdventure_zps7563feca.jpg

Scrape off the excess body cladding and the "roll bar," and this truck would look like the cute utility vehicle it is.

The mini-truck is based on a Fiat auto chassis. Here are some specs:
Engine: 1.3L four cylinder Turbo-diesel, 94 HP / 148 lb-ft
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Drivetrain: FWD w/ traction control
Curb Weight: 2,833 lb
Cargo capacity: 1,400 lb
Towing: 2,200 lb
MPG: 50 mpg US (est.)
MSRP: $16,500 (est.)

Compared to other vehicles you can buy new in USA for $17K, the Strada looks like a lot of fun for the buck.

The article includes a poll. Should Fiat consider making a vehicle like the Strada available in USA? Results are running 3 to 1 in the affirmative.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Unibody, FWD, 2wd "truck"?

I dont think so.

Only thing it has going for it is a unique power plant.
The rest is an unusual, lifted, FWD car with the back lopped off.

BTW, the new impreza's MSRP at $17,500

haven

Expedition Leader
Remember the Subaru BRAT? Similar idea. Car-based vehicle with open bed. Sure, it's not the vehicle you'd choose to tow a gooseneck trailer or to pick up a load of crushed rock. There are lots of other trucks for that sort of work.

50 mpg, even 35 mpg sounds mighty appealing in a light utility vehicle. Every high school in America would have a bunch of these vehicles in the parking lot.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I kinda agree with:

No! We said we wanted a small pickup, not an economy car with a bed.

But, if they brought it to America they would probably add AWD and sadly remove the Diesel and replace with a 4cyl and/or V6 option.

phsycle

Adventurer
While this thing looks uuuugly, and not your traditional truck (unibody, FWD, etc.), I think there is still a market for this...albeit very small. This is just a reiteration of the late Subaru Baja, with a diesel engine (which I doubt the US will get, IF we even end up with this "car").

I think something like this would be very useful for those that aren't interested in a truck, per se, but would still like the utility of a bed. A truck bed, no matter the size, is much much more useful than an enclosed cargo space. Especially when hauling mulch, dirt, etc., which would be perfect for something like this (small yard work duty). Even moving furniture, appliances, etc. would be much better handled by a bed.

If one came over with a diesel, I think I'd be interested.

vanroth

Observer
Looks like a Chevy Tornado/Montana (which I see around here in AZ regularly).

Matter of fact the Strada shares the same (gas) GM power-train in some markets. Either way, these things are tiny. I'd rather just have a softtop 4x4 Tracker/Sidekick (of course I'm biased) and save the extra $12K.

Finlay

Triarius
Remember the Subaru BRAT? Similar idea. Car-based vehicle with open bed. Sure, it's not the vehicle you'd choose to tow a gooseneck trailer or to pick up a load of crushed rock. There are lots of other trucks for that sort of work.

50 mpg, even 35 mpg sounds mighty appealing in a light utility vehicle. Every high school in America would have a bunch of these vehicles in the parking lot.

Oh, do I. One of my friends had a brat when we were in high school and it was a blast.

This truck looks pretty sweet. Want.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
One BIG problem with it, the Fiat badge.
One sniff of moisture and it will rust into oblivion, and Fiat electrics make Lucas look reliable
Have a look at their earlier offerings here http://retrorides.proboards.com/ind...board=readersrides&thread=55343&page=1#767846

I've always had a soft spot for the 4x4 Panda.

There was a kit to convert them into an amphibious 4x4?

I bought the information/parts pack from the kit manufacturer, but, after further thought, decided against the idea.

ryanpanda-01.jpeg panda.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
Frig! Not since the Pontiac Aztek have I seen another vehicle that would look better AFTER a collision or three...

"Adventure" trim, huh?

Redrock

Observer
I get why these are popular in Latin America and Europe, but I don't see why this makes the slightest sense here. If you need fuel economy and occasional hauling, just get a little utility trailer and tow it behind a car. If you need a truck...buy a truck.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Well,since it's a Fiat it could come over as the new...Dodge Rampage! lol...
dodge-rampage-02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior