Not Necessarily EXPO, but it could be a cool Base Camp

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
A friend sent me this link asking how hard I thought it would be to build something like this.

Although this wouldnt be all that EXPO worthy, it would be super easy to build and tow behind the truck to leave at camp as a base camp.

I would think with an axle swap to lift the trailer up, a set of wheels that would give it even more height and some boxes strapped on the outside, it could be a cool build.

Plus, it would be super light so it could be towed by almost anything

Anyone want to build one and show it off??

There's a whole sub-forum devoted to converting cargo trailers over at:

http://www,mikenchell.com/forums/

The problem is, because they often contain either lots and lots of expensive tools, or are used to haul motorcycles or atvs, unattended ones are frequently broken into or, even worse, dragged away by thieves.

I think I'll pass.

Regards
John

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I think I saw a thread herre about someone who has or is doing this with a trailer like that.

x2. Just don't recall who.

My neighbors had there's stolen. Luckily, all thier band equipment was set up in the place they were playing, otherwise, they would have been out a bundle more than just the trailer.

It's a nifty idea, but I couldn't deal with no windows for very long.

I spent enough time sleeping inside Military vehicles that you couldn't see out of.:snorkel:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I didnt even think about them being stolen if left as a base camp, although any trailer could be stolen if you think about it.

I agree I wouldnt like camping without windows, but if only using it to sleep in, windows wouldnt be too needed. Plus, you could always put a big skylight/window to allow light into the trailer, but still keep it pretty stealthy

It grabbed my attention because we have a 12' V-Nose trailer, and as we were loading stuff in it the other day, my wife said something about how cool and simple it would be to build it out and use it for simple camping trips we didnt want to tow the bigger camper

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
There's a whole sub-forum devoted to converting cargo trailers over at:

http://www,mikenchell.com/forums/

The problem is, because they often contain either lots and lots of expensive tools, or are used to haul motorcycles or atvs, unattended ones are frequently broken into or, even worse, dragged away by thieves.

I think I'll pass.

Regards
John

That's a pretty cool forum. I spent an hour or so clicking through different build threads and found it funny to see people building things out of their garages simply for something to do that guys on this forum spend thousands of thousands of dollars to EXPO in :)

Anyone looking to build their own trailer would get some great ideas off of that forum.

There is an entire thread about keeping the outside looking shabby or dirty to keep onlookers away from inspecting or taking interest.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
In cooler weather, I stealth camp all the time with my motorcycle. I trave out of the snowbelt up north for some great late fall, winter, early spring riding down south, Texas, AZ, NM etc.......

I usually simply pull into a truck stop, all night restaurant parkinglot even on mainstreet in a town.

Trailer-vi.jpg

I have a heater, extra battery with a solar panel on the roof, reading lights and a fold up bed that is very comfortable.

My biggest concern was someone walking by and seeing the door unlocked on the outside (I have a cross-bolt on the inside) and being a good citizen and locking me in the trailer! I made a bracket so I can use a padlock to lock the door lock in the unlocked position.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
My biggest concern was someone walking by and seeing the door unlocked on the outside (I have a cross-bolt on the inside) and being a good citizen and locking me in the trailer! I made a bracket so I can use a padlock to lock the door lock in the unlocked position.

I was thinking about this if you were simply parked in a parking lot and someone saw the door unlocked

Maybe you could hang a dummy lock on the door that is locked, but not actually through the locking holes so unless closely inspected, someone just walking by would think the lock is in the lock position

If I was building one, I'd put in a big ceiling skylight/escape hatch just incase there was a way to get locked inside. Plus, with the haatch being on the roof, it would allow light in, but passerbye's wouldnt be able to see it

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think it's a really cool concept, never really thought much about it...

It always seemed the axle was so low, but I like your idea and your solution:smiley_drive:

Good stuff EMAM! Can't wait to see yours...starting this week?!:ylsmoke:

Pat

I didnt even think about them being stolen if left as a base camp, although any trailer could be stolen if you think about it.

True. But then it's equally true that any car can be stolen, also, but some cars get stolen way more often than others do. I only half-joke that I don't have to worry about MY car being stolen because no one in their right mind would WANT the piece of crap I use as a daily driver!:)

I agree I wouldnt like camping without windows, but if only using it to sleep in, windows wouldnt be too needed. Plus, you could always put a big skylight/window to allow light into the trailer, but still keep it pretty stealthy

Depends on the weather and the temperature, I guess. Without windows, you're sleeping in an airless metal box. Ventilation can be a big deal under those circumstances. Many, many years ago, during my massively mis-spent youth, I crashed for several months in a garage. It worked fine during the spring, but when real hot weather rolled around, I sweated like a pig with the doors closed, and got eaten alive by the bugs with the doors open.

Regards
John

rctr03

Adventurer
i think this is a great idea, i have a friend that carries his tj, pulls it out and converts to a camper, bed, table, coffee pot, wardrobe, small honda generator. he also has screens that cover the door ways that snap on.

great idea depending on the temp.

jimmy

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper

We use our cargo trailer for camping and had the same fear.
The side door hinges can be removed from inside the trailer with a Torx tool so I keep one in the trailer.

Last edited:

805gregg

Adventurer
I stealth camped in my 1960 Ford station wagon (largest station wagon ever built) in the 60's, when my parents decided I was an undesirable roommate, best thing I ever did. I slept in the parking lot at 26th st in Manhatten Beach. Later I built a chassis mount camper on a 1953 Chevy truck and lived for another 6 months with no rent. I saved a lot of money and married my teenage girlfriend and took a 6 week honeymoon to Oregon and Washington in the camper. A few years later I built a sailboat and lived for free for 3 years in San Diego with my wife, and new daughter, best times of my life no rent no bills and living close to nature, I recommend it.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Kind of funny, but I've been "base camping" in a 12 foot cargo trailer at my shop for a couple months now. Mostly to cut expenses so I can replenish my trip fund. Though I have thought about building out the inside. The biggest concern is the door being locked from the outside as has been mentioned. Other than that its fairly comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger