Not "offroad" but still really cool camper

ZR2nit

Adventurer
http://longdogent.com <-----yeah I know weird name. Just type it in Google if your worried.

Its a new company. I have no idea how great the reviews are on them. They seem like a quality camper. Check out the videos on there website. They are informative but the music is dang sure cheesey. :xxrotflma

Sorry I cant post more about it my computer is acting weird (probably b/c I never turn it off).

Its a "5th wheel looking" type of trailer that uses a separate axle to hold the camper. However it hooks up to your normal hitch. They say they are made for a Full Size 1/2 ton truck and can make them for 1 ton as well. And will fit a 5-8 ft truck bed. They use are bags on the axle and a leveling device (they call landing gear---> which I had to laugh at since I'm an aircraft mechanic) inside the camper to dettach from the "host vehicle".

I sent the company a e-mail to get more info on the trailer. i.e. deminsions and weight dry and with water. I would love to be able to hook this thing up to my Class 4 hitch on my ZR2 and hope I can but I'm sure it will be a no go :(

Check them out. I would like to hear some feedback on what you "trailer vets" have to say about them. After all I'm just 23 years old and am new to trailers myself.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
This is the only discussion I could find on the internet:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19780320.cfm

Also has pics in it as well (since I could not copy them from the longdogent.com website.

I would be worried about scrubbing on the bed and how it handles on normal bumpy roads that are all over the U.S.

The thing I like about it (besides the ammenties and the sheer WOW factor) is that you can haul it like a travel trailer,dettach it (at a 4x4 park in my case) and go wheelin. Only down side is well clearence issues and I don't know how well it stays independent say on steep mountainous roads and what not. OH and its not trail rated

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
It seems to me that if that tag axle isn't 'steerable', the tires are going to have sidewall issues. There's a lot of room between the truck rear axle and the tag axle.

Personally, I think the QuickHitch system is a lot more promising.

Years ago ('60s?) there was a company that made a slide-in camper that overhung about 4' and had an extra axle under the overhang.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Years ago ('60s?) there was a company that made a slide-in camper that overhung about 4' and had an extra axle under the overhang.

Saw an image of a CJ5 with that setup. Looked real goofy, if functional.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
See the thing is people you have to see where I'm coming from. I do not suffer from any type of disability. On the other hand my little brother does. And the worst thing about him being handicapped is that there are no current "trail rated campers" available in the U.S> that can accomadate my needs. I mean I aim to build my ZR2 "trail proof" (as much as I can anyways. we all know nothing is every completely trail proof/bomb-proof) to accomadate taking my little brother places in the U.S. he has never even thought of. Places he has only seen on T.V.

Sorry to vent but what makes me mad is that there are no current campers in the U.S. to meet my needs for taking care of him on the trail. I know, I know I could build one but the thing is that I feel like I shouldn't/nor other disabled people have to buy a expensive single axle enclosed camper(one with a bed big enough to accomadate he and myself, a shower big enough for his shower chair so he can sit in, a actual toilet, a fully functional kitchen, have a T.V. and DVD player,and a A/C with heat) just so I can cut the axle out and install some type of spring over kit with a larger axle and tires under it so if can be "trail ready." And on top of that be short as possible under 20 ft.

I'm not looking for any hand outs by any means. But the first U.S. company that makes something similar to what I need for "Operation ADAM" (<---- my brothers name). I PIMP the heck out of there camper for free with a BIG Sticker on the side and all. They will get all kinds of Publicity if they want it. HECK at this point I'd pay full price for one even if it means going in debt.

Okay sorry rant is over. I always go by the philosophy that "nothing needed ever came easy." And I guess I will just have to search and do alot more research for my perfect build. Or buy a PINZ

adrenaline503

Explorer
Sadly, I imagine that the supply and demand nature of economics makes it very difficult for smaller markets to cater to the "disabled". And if they build one, you couldnt aford it. That camper thing looks weird though, very spaceship like.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I agree with your comment on the fact that the disabled market is much smaller than the "non-disabled" (whatever that means considering there is something wrong with all of us). I'm just saying that I or anyone with a disability shouldn't have to buy a new trailer and convert it. Thats all. But I'm not mad at anyone at this site or anything. As a matter of fact I think this site is great. I've got tons of ideas and seen things 4x4 wise I never thought exsisted. I know I will have to build my own trailer. It just sucks that my little brother has to wait. But hey there are people out there alot worse off than I or my brother and I honestly believe that they should come first if a project like this was ever to be taken on by a manufacture

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Back on Topic

Yeah the camper does look a little odd but thats why I like it. The wow factor ya know. You have to admitt though its a pretty cool product. Well gotta go taking my little brother to a movie. He wants to see "The Happening." that Kid oves scary movies.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
The dealership I used to work at worked with us several times to provide custom units to provide for people with special needs. These units usually came at slightly higher prices, not because of the custom floorplans or extra labor. The raised price was only for special items provided such as chair lifts or ceiling mounted sling systems. There are many more specialized options out there than what you see on the showroom or lot. A dealer can only afford to stock more common units that have a better chance of moving. Plus it is beter to design such a unit around the individual needs than try to market a blanket unit.

I worked on a fleetwood popup over the weekend that had a wider door and pul out wheelchair ramp to accomodate the owners daughter with cerebral palsey (sp?). This was one of the nicer lifted models that they market as offroad.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I worked on a fleetwood popup over the weekend that had a wider door and pul out wheelchair ramp to accomodate the owners daughter with cerebral palsey (sp?). This was one of the nicer lifted models that they market as offroad.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any pics of the camper??? My brother also has Cerebral Palsey. I bought a RV buyers magazine at the Local Books A Million. It has shown me a few options to look at.

The funny thing is the LONGDOGENT.com trailer wasn't even in the buyers guide:oops:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Personally, I think the QuickHitch system is a lot more promising.
Oh, great . . . YACATNAH . . . yet another clever Australian thing not available here. ;)

Anyone have any evidence that the Quick Hitch device can be had in or shipped to this country?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mhiscox said:
Oh, great . . . YACATNAH . . . yet another clever Australian thing not available here. ;)

Anyone have any evidence that the Quick Hitch device can be had in or shipped to this country?

I ran across a similar idea put out by a Canadian company, but can't remember their name, and don't have time to do a proper search right now. Maybe I can do some looking tomorrow. I think I posted a link on a thread here r.e. demountable campers.

That one, though, was more like a roll-off dumpster truck setup, and looked really heavy, and didn't include the lazy axle.

One solution is to start your world tour in Australia!

ZR2nit

Adventurer
The owner of LongDogEnt and I have exchanged a few e-mails. I asked in the previous email that I was concerned about pulling into gas stations and anything with a grade on it that could cause my truck and the trailer to do this " ^ " . Tragically he said that once the trialer is hooked up to the "host vehicle" there is no articulation between the two.

I think this is a great product but the fact that there is no "give" between the trailer and the truck sucks.

Sp right now I'm just going to stick with working on my ZR2. I still have a few things (which adds up to alot of things) to do on it before I go on a nationwide trek of ORV.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Found another one

Well as the title implies I have found yet another trailer that I like. This on to me far surpasses the other longdogent one. Its from a company I'm sure many of you have heard about:

http://www.hilotrailer.com

I really thin there product is extremely innovative. Yeah I know that I said that before. But that was before I picked up the magazine Trailer Life: RV Buyers Guide 2008 on Wed. :) . Since then I have been puring through there section on travel trailers 4000lbs. of less.

Anyway these are the three models I'm looking into now. They are all single axled trailers with a GVWR of under 4000lbs :)

Smallest: 15ft. long
http://www.hilotrailer.com/models/1508T.htm

Medium: 17ft. long
http://www.hilotrailer.com/models/1708T.htm

The biggest I would personally feel comfortable towing: 19ft. long
http://www.hilotrailer.com/models/1908T.htm

Now these are pricey but hey what can you expect for this:
video on how the HI-Lo works:
http://www.hilotrailer.com/video.htm?v=hi

So what do you think???

ZR2nit

Adventurer
Okay forget everything that I have ever said. Does anyone know where in the "States" I can buy one of these???

http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/index.php

Is there anything comparable to it that anyone sells here in the U.S. ?? This is my solution to all my woes...Please help. Buying one in "OZ" and having it imported then making it USDOT rated is not a option for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears