Not quite Expedition trailer.

rlynch356

Defyota
Update - Now for sale see below... Title in hand

Soo....
I bought this trailer from another Expo member and Fellow land rover defender owner..

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...with-contractor-top-rack?highlight=contractor

It's an M101a1 with a contractor hard top on it...

I'm not really going to do a build thread, but more of a pictures of what i've done
(if your interested, the "Build" is over at Defender source.)

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f48/car-camping-trailer-68162.html

I'm building this primarily to take my 2 young daughters camping with me, and for events when i need to carry more more stuff (Like kegs, group food, bikes, etc..) and for when i'm alone to sleep in at events instead of messing with the whole tent thing.. I'm not sure how that will work out but i'll give it a go and see..

basically its a cargo/Junior Teardrop trailer concept which is reasonably inexpensive when compared to the offerings - I'm not trying to be the go anywhere do any thing trailer guy.. Although it does have more ground clearance that the D90 and 35"s right now..

So here we go..

Spec's

1968 M101a1 trailer with an ARE contractor hard top

Harbor freight Tongue Box
Group 31 battery & marine tray
Blue sea electrical system
Front - Cut off switch, 110v Charger - Norco Genius 1, Pos/Neg Buss bars, 6 circuit fuse box, shore power plug, all stainless hardware.

Rear Electrical
Blue sea waterproof fused switch box - 6 switches in a custom Alumininum hobby box housing
USB, 12v socket, Volt meter

Interior Led's
2 in main compartment
4 in galley compartment door (Back lighting and overhead)

4 LED flood lights mounted to the rack
Rear LED porch light

ARB fridge plug and Tie downs (no slide since i need to use it for cargo as well)

Paint by Maaco - in Keswick green

there are future plans for more goodies -but this completes Phase 1
M101-2.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

More pictures later

Last edited:

rlynch356

Defyota
tossing around ideas today... i think i'm going to stick a D1 axle under it to get 5x6.5 wheel pattern and use a spacer to get the width, maybe ditch the shocks, and then add a cold-hot water/solar system to it next.. I need to ditch the split rims and the axle, brakes would be nice along with a 7 pin plug for charging on the go..

after that RTT and awnings (or RTT and a 270 degree awning to be precise)

more pictures to come

rlynch356

Defyota
just back from maiden voyage in this where we used it as a base camp and umm, Mobile Bar
some observations

- all systems worked very well - battery stayed at 12.4-.6 throughout the weekend with the 5 watt battery tender solar setup (temps were up to the 70's and colder so for summer a 10 watt may be needed)
- the kitchen side worked out great, we had 2 tables and a popup tent for cover, an awning would be perfect on that side and eliminate the popup tent.
- the thing can hold a HUGE amount of gear (fridge, 3 LARGE coolers, 2 5.5 gal kegs, tap box, and other stuff fit with huge amounts of room to spare...

now the biggest one...

- Weight and the the D90.... is an issue... if it were a 4.6L disco 2 it would have been alright but with my old 3.9 its a struggle to get up long grades on the road..

so i need to go a different direction and will be putting it up for sale soon. Located in Apex NC i'm going to ask what i have into it in here

~$3,500 as it sits if anyone is interested
that will include the full electrical system (all Blue sea)
Pos/Neg buss bars,
power Cutoff switch,
NoCo gen 1 battery tender,
shore power,
5 watt solar, battery tender
6 gang fuse box in front,
6 gang switched Fuse box rear
Group 31 deep cycle marine battery and hold down.

4 LED floods
6 interior and gull wing LED's
LED porch light
tongue box
new height adjustable trailer jack

tires look new (super Lug Mil tires, ~35" tall)
fully painted in keswick green
Roof rack
lunette and pintle included
LED tail lights and new wiring harness - 4 Pin
Bedlined inside
keys for all doors

ready to roll with a NC title in hand and fitted with a permanent tag for NC

i'll be posting it in the F/S section with in a day or - if you want more pictures i can take them as soon as i get it cleaned out

here it is as a "bar"

IMG_0102.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior