Not So Subtle E350 Shuttle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

onemanarmy

Explorer
Van looks awesome, and white letters in on the tires was the correct choice. White letters out looks toyish/cartooniosh/so 1989ish.

what made you decide to go coils vs. leaves for the front?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yes, the electric locker should just be a switch and the front axle has the "auto" hubs so MG is going to hook that up to a vacuum solenoid and another switch so I don't have to get out of the cab to engage four wheel drive.

Gregor

I would love to see the details of this part. I too am putting an '05 and newer axle in my Duramax and would love to be able to hit a switch for the front locking hubs.
Also, the van is looking great.
Thank you,
Jack

sakurama

Adventurer
What made you decide to go coils vs. leaves for the front?

Probably the biggest part of the decision was that MG is local to me. That said I had talked to Chris and was considering doing the whole thing myself but if I did it would have required me to build out the entire interior as a living space because my wife would have kicked me out of the house for taking on another project...

The other reason and maybe more important to me was the ability to go with the newer axle with the bigger brakes. I also liked that MG's system didn't require welding to the frame and that it seemed very well thought out. I have followed MG for a while and we talked a few times before money changed hands and I just really like his mind set, his approach and his attention to detail. He'a a very creative and smart builder.

And he's only 30 minutes down the road.

I would love to see the details of this part. I too am putting an '05 and newer axle in my Duramax and would love to be able to hit a switch for the front locking hubs.

Me too!

Sorry to have not gotten a chance to catch up with MG but my pleading to the drive shaft shop drew sympathy and their builder stayed late Monday and today so the shafts should be ready in the morning. I need to figure out how to repay them for the help. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow me to go in and photograph the process which I'm pretty bummed about so I can't share how driveshafts are made which I wanted to know.

I've worked my *** off the last week and the last two days in particular to get our trailer dialed in and I'm about 95% done so I hope to get out to the van tomorrow morning and see the shafts go in and hopefully see how MG hooks up the hubs. He's told me how it's done (vacuum line from the hub to a relay to a switch) but I want to see it.

If you're curious about the trailer I'm going to post up some photos of that in my Garage Journal thread tonight. Skip to the end for that.

Gregor

sakurama

Adventurer
Driveshafts! We got them.

i-Nhb2DtW-X2.jpg

i-kH4kvFn-X2.jpg

Sadly Josh is off coaching this week so it was just me and MG. We got it done. Mostly MG.

i-xRJdpGZ-X2.jpg

I tore the plastic air dam lower thing off the bumper and then marked out and cut the bumper to clear the front wheels.

i-q6ncckm-X2.jpg

Meanwhile MG sorted out miscellaneous electrical.

i-kJ2NqKV-X2.jpg

We didn't have time to hook up the rear locker or the switch panel. There was no place on the dash for it and the only option and the best option was to build a small box for it and mount it on the ceiling, which we also didn't have time for.

Once the electrical was hooked up I discovered something amazing.

i-jD9tVht-X2.jpg

This electric step actually works. Josh discovered the connector undone and I hooked it up but the battery has been off for the length of the build so I forgot about it until I opened the side door and the step magically creaked out to offer it's much needed assistance. Seriously, if this step wasn't here we'd need a catapult to get the kids in. Or maybe a trebuche.

The tank went in without much trouble using the tranny lift.

i-33GBftM-X2.jpg

i-LTZQR7T-X2.jpg

And my old fuel was transferred into the new, shorter tank. I'm only going to lose a couple of gallons so I'm hoping that I'll keep the 500 mile range.

Then we started it up and topped off the transmission fluid and did one more check of the various bolts and lug nuts.

Then we got in and took it out for the first ride. After fiddling with the speed converter it worked pretty good. We'll need to do more adjusting and we didn't get the auto hubs but it's running.

And I drove it home tonight.

i-V8F3DjW-X2.jpg

So first impressions:

• It's silly tall. I almost fell the first time I got out. You need a good strong step to get into the cab.

• It feels almost as tall as a semi. You are up there. Cars disappear on your far side. I'll need better mirrors.

• It feels way more firm but also more compliant - the ride is way better.

• It handles much better. No leaning or tipping - it feels tight.
  • Power seems to be the same or maybe a little down but it has no problem getting along.
  • Brakes are firmer but we're still scraping the rust off them so I'll wait on that front. Better already but not scrubbed in.
  • It looks amazing. Just amazing. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I think I was as happy as MG was tired.

Hopefully we'll both get a bit of a break and I'll get to take the van on it's first road trip.

Gregor

86scotty

Cynic
Congrats man! You've given me inspiration to get moving more on mine. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions and experience.

As for the 7.3, you've driven it a bit now and know this I'm sure but there's a LOT more power to be had there if you want it. They sky is the limit. My favorite thing is the subtle torque of a diesel. I love my V10's but the diesels just don't feel the hills until they get big. They just truck along. It's rather addictive.

sakurama

Adventurer
So I managed about 100 miles around town with no issues. Great, let's hook up a trailer and take off. What could go wrong?

i-bcXm5dS-X2.jpg

So over the past few days I've tried to compile a kit from my "second tier" tools that I can keep in the van. It seems like it's pretty complete but the only way to know is to actually use it to do any work. You might notice something missing - a jack. I have a sheepherders jack (sorry, a Hi-Lift) but I can't see how/where I could use it so I didn't bring it. It seems like the best (only) way to lift the van would be with a small hydraulic jack under the axle. So what are you guys using? I'd like to pick something up on the way because not having one is tempting fate.

One thing I was absolutely sure was going to be replaced before we left were the headlights. Wow, are the stock ones bad. So I broke out that tool kit.

After spending a lot of time researching it seemed like consensus was that Scott at Vantage Optics was the guy to turn to. I'd previously made the mistake of buying aftermarket lights for my F-150 off Amazon. There are not words to describe how bad they were. They were a nightmare to install, the clips broke and when they were finally in they were dimmer than my stock ones and with a worse pattern. Burned once I wanted to buy from a real person who had a good reputation. So I went with Vantage.

i-HCPQqS7-X2.jpg

I've had the kit for maybe a month and because of the nightmare of my previous experience I was dreading installing the lights. So I waited until the day before we were going to leave on the family vacation. Now, I'd planned on making this a step by step but sadly for you it was so easy that I had them installed in like 30 minutes and didn't bother with the "steps" because it's essentially a harness with plugs that only can go one place and his instructions are dead simple.

i-NHLQJLv-X2.jpg

The stock ones popped out easily and the only tricky part is finding a place for the ballasts and screwing them to the body. But it's not a biggie.

i-x2CXF8j-X2.jpg

And I have to say that they look good. In fact the whole "chrome" thing seems to be working really well here which is a bit unexpected. More importantly these lights work. Amazing! Definitely some of the best money I've ever spent on after market lights.

i-mRXF8gt-X2.jpg

So we're on the road and I have to say I'm really impressed with how well the van tracks. I took it into Sears to have the alignment checked and the tech put it on the rack and ran the numbers and then said I was basically right on except for toe in which we knew needed adjustment. He even admitted that when he saw the van he was worried it was going to be a wonky home job but said he'd actually never measured a more accurate rear axle - it was .01 degree off. As close to perfect as he's ever seen. Nice job MG.

Of course I don't want it to go to his head so I texted him from the road that one of his brackets cracked and the van was pulling really hard. Then, not wanting to panic him, I immediately texted "Just Kidding!" but he still said I gave him a heart attack. Sorry MG!

While the van has been steering and running great we're going to replace the speed converter as the one we put in doesn't get us close enough. Chris at U-Joint is going to overnight me a replacement Monday and I'll install it and see how that helps as the tranny hunts a bit right now. Also, it is now very obvious that 3.73 gears are not going to work. The van really struggles going up the steep hills and at one point the tranny downshifted really hard and there was a sudden cloud of smoke behind us. I slowed down and pulled over to check. There was oil sort of sprayed around but no drips or obvious damage. We limped along to the next gas station and checked the fluids and all were topped up and no loss so I called MG and he thought the hard downshift probably blew out some oil through a breather or past a seal. I wiped it all down and it seems to be staying dry so I'm going to back off for the rest of the trip.

Two things I've noticed - you are really tall and the visibility is amazing. You can look into the cabs of semi's. The other is that you get a lot of thumbs up. I've never driven anything that gets as much attention save for a friends Shelby Cobra. People love this thing. I was talking to Taylor the other day and we were remarking on what a tranformation it is and yet it's really only bigger wheels and of course all the underpinnings that make those wheels possible - but visually, it's the wheels and stance. How that makes such a night and day transformation is hard to say.

Also, chicks dig this thing. At the motel in Boise tonight (too damn hot here for the trailer) the check in girl took a long look at the van and finally said, "That's a sweet van!"

Yup, it sure is.

I'll try to update this as we go as the plan is to do more than tow a trailer with it.

Gregor

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
It's a good thing you held off on re-gearing, because you wouldn't have had time to properly break them in prior to your trip. Speedo correction might not be needed if you find the right ratio.

Have a fun trip!

sakurama

Adventurer
Today was a day of reckoning.

i-DJ3JH6j-X2.jpg

But first I met up with Tyson and got to see Gallivanter. Fun to see two of them together and we get a few thumbs up as we talked.

We got a late start due to meeting up with an old friend for breakfast. Once on the road the temperature was brutally hot. Only the front AC works and it's a lot of van to keep cold so it's marginal - that's high on the list.

The main problem we're having is the gearing. The van doesn't even shift into top gear until 65 and hills are killing it as we just don't have the power. I think that is really putting a strain on the whole thing. At one point outside of Boise the van was hunting and struggling to keep up with traffic and I was just dreading the coming mountains. I made the decision to jettison the trailer. We saw an RV lot and pulled in and gathered what we needed and locked the door. The bent axle cost us a week since we have a hard end date, we're staying with family and honestly probably should have skipped the trailer but it's hard to let go of plans that were months in the making.

It was amazing to feel the van accelerate again. There was a great weight lifted from my shoulders and the van's rear end. It felt much better but still sluggish. At least now we could keep up with traffic. I'd like to run numbers on the gearing difference (29's with a 3.55 and 35's with a 3.73) but I'm not sure that matters as the van was really tall before. It's probably better to see what others with 7.3's have found to be good gearing. I'm very tempted to spend a day to find a place in Denver or Salida and get it regeared but since it was mentioned they need time to break in I guess that's out.

The up side is there was/is still plenty of room and we have more freedom now. I'm planning on making the most of the rest of the trip.

Oh, interestingly, despite the gearing issues, we got 13-14mpg with the trailer. Without was about 15 but that was into the mountains and just one tank. About double my pickup so that's a bright spot. We did almost run out when the last quarter tank vanished in the midd of nowhere. Took 32.1 gallons.

So let me know what your thoughts on gearing are.

Gregor

Google around and find a gear ratio calculator you like. I couldn't find the one I liked but I remember that going from stock tire size and 3.73 to 34.5" tires with 4.30 was about dead on stock. I know a lot of guys with the 5.4 go to 4.56. With your 7.3 I'd guess 4.10 and maybe 4.30. As always, I'm not the expert but that's what seems to stick in my brain thus far. Im super happy with the 6.8 and 4.30.

Great to meet you today! I pulled that old grey plastic off my front bumper when I got home after seeing yours. Looks way better! Amazing what we can learn from each other. Now order those roost shields for your rear Foxes and install that power interrupter for your step.

Good luck on the adventure!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I would say 4.30's if you want near stock ratio. When I had my van on 35's with 3.55's a strong headwind would bog it enough for a downshift. That was with a healthy 6.0 diesel. I went with 4.10's and it made a huge difference and mileage even improved. The tranny was way happier too. Did you get your speedo calibrator sorted? A 7.3 should be able to tow with 3.73's.

What are your RPM's at 65mph right now?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman