Notes From the PanAmerican

rockandroll

Adventurer
What generator did you take to power the AC?

Hey Darwin, thanks for asking.

We are without a generator. When camping we've been able to get plugged into electrical more than half of the time. We brought along a 100' extension cord which we ask (pay) to have plugged in when camping out by a restaurant or other business when close to civilization.

Definitely not necessary, but a nice creature comfort.

trailsurfer

Explorer
What kind of mileage are you getting? And what are your likes and dislikes about the truck and camper?

One more, how has the surfing been?

rockandroll

Adventurer
What kind of mileage are you getting? And what are your likes and dislikes about the truck and camper?

One more, how has the surfing been?

I've been getting 14-16MPG, been better than expected mostly due to the low speed limits on Mexican Highways (typically only 60km/h).

We love the truck camper and are very pleased we went this route. Had I done this trip with a fishing buddy or similar, other facilities may be more practical. But with my finacee it's a wonderful thing to have.

On the downside, we weighed the truck and are over the limit by ~600lbs fully loaded (assuming the scale is accurate we weigh 7,050lbs). Nothing to complain of specifically, but it sure would be nice to not be hauling such a load over these pot-hole-ridden highways.

Lastly, the surf has been excellent. The real treat is not bumping shoulders with your fellow surfers. The most crowded break I've surfed yet had only 3 other surfers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEMRGZC3IUw"]YouTube - The Mexican Pipeline[/ame]

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I have surfed in Mexico a bunch, and it is incredible. The only problem is that it ruins you for surfing back here in the USA.

Have fun and travel safe.

coydogsf

Adventurer
Hey Logan and Brianna,

Wait 'til you get down here to El Salvador. We're in El Tunco - surfer's heaven.

Also, our AC adapter for the Duracell Powerpack went out as well! Fortunately, the DC (and thus the solar) still works and we can just charge it while driving.

Have a great trip. We're leapfrogging with 5 or 6 overland couples at the moment (most of whom are here in El Tunco now) so let us know if you need any route/hotel/camping info about the road ahead.

Dave

rockandroll

Adventurer
Hey Logan and Brianna,

Wait 'til you get down here to El Salvador. We're in El Tunco - surfer's heaven.

Also, our AC adapter for the Duracell Powerpack went out as well! Fortunately, the DC (and thus the solar) still works and we can just charge it while driving.

Have a great trip. We're leapfrogging with 5 or 6 overland couples at the moment (most of whom are here in El Tunco now) so let us know if you need any route/hotel/camping info about the road ahead.

Dave

Thanks for the info! We've been following your blog and I think we have Guatemala figured out (Lake Atitlan followed by Antigua then on to El Salvador). What spots do you recommend in El Salvador? We will definitely check out El Tunco.

I imagine our paths will cross sooner rather than later as we're planning on being in Tamarindo Costa Rica one month from now to meet up with some family/tie the knot!

rockandroll

Adventurer
where did you guys stay while you were in Puerto Escondido?

Darwin, We stayed at Cabanas El Eden (campground) centrally located in the center of Playa Zicatela. PE earns our 'most likely to return to' award for Mexico. Highly recommend.

coydogsf

Adventurer
Thanks for the info! We've been following your blog and I think we have Guatemala figured out (Lake Atitlan followed by Antigua then on to El Salvador). What spots do you recommend in El Salvador? We will definitely check out El Tunco.

I imagine our paths will cross sooner rather than later as we're planning on being in Tamarindo Costa Rica one month from now to meet up with some family/tie the knot!

Tikal in Guatemala is pretty cool if you can make it happen though it's a little out of the way if you're on the west coast. So far, El Tunco's been all we've seen of El Salvador but we're planning on heading up to Bosque El Impossible in the next few days (based on recommendations by Luis and Lacey) and then maybe up through the coffee plantations into Honduras.
Sounds like your makin' tracks tho. If so, definitely take the coastal route through El Salvador. Beautiful coast.

We'd love to meet up and a month from now in Costa Rica sounds perfect (congrats BTW). We should be there around then as well as a number of other overlanders (Tree and Stevie - SprinterLife, Chad and Emily - PleasureDevice, maybe Espen and Malin - UnUrban to name a few).

Dave

rockandroll

Adventurer
Lago De Atitlan (Pana Guatemala)

We're stationed at the Hotel Vision Azul for the next few days where you can camp on the lake shore. The owner has renovated the place and thus the fee's have gone up to $10 per person per night. Expensive by Guatemala standards but includes wifi, elec, kayaks, and warm showers.

img7937z.jpg

One thing we wish we would have taken along are 2 mountain bikes. For anybody taking along a truck camper or equivalent, I'd highly recommend figuring out a solution to mount two bikes safely. We ran into a Swiss couple in a class C traveling south who gave us the idea. They claim to use them almost every day for exploration and to just get around.

The border crossing into Guatemala was hectic but straightforward once you got in front of the right window. Here's a good write-up from the unURBAN guys.

Next we're on to the free campground at the Tourist Police Yard in Antigua. Looking forward too free camping (and wifi). Pana is a bit touristy and thus, not cheap.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great posts guys. Things sound to be going great. How are the truck and camper holding up? Hope all goes well. Enjoy.

rockandroll

Adventurer
El Salvador

We crossed into El Salvador earlier this week. The border crossing was not as bad as we had expected. We used this write-up to guide us through with success. We actually ended up using the "helpers" at this border (2 for $5 each). When we arrived the 2 lane road to the border was blocked for about a mile with 4 lanes of parked trucks. They got us through, well worth the $10 cost to us. The El Salvadorian border is just as tedious as everybody makes it out to be, but a smile and good attitude got us through quickly.

These three stops in El Salvador were outstanding and come highly recommended:

1: Parque Nacional El Imposible. Camping is free with your $3/pp entry fee. We didn't have to engage 4wd on the 14km access road, but having a high clearance vehicle is a must. Once in the park you can explore the lookout tower near camp and the many sites at the end of the hiking trails.

Click here for more photos and info.

img8148.jpg

2: Playa El Tunco. This one's for the surfers. 4 great brakes within a short walk of this small village. We stayed at El Sombre for $15/night. They have secure parking for 2 vehicles.

img8204h.jpg

img8175p.jpg

3: Alegria. This is a quaint mountain town in the Eastern portion of the country. There are a few sites to see in the surrounding area such as Laguna de Alegria, a crater lake two kilometers outside of town, but the main itinerary item in Alegria is to relax under the shadows of the volcanoes.

Hope you enjoy everything!

PS. Now that we've got over 4,000 miles on the odometer, I'm drafting a post on the viability of a 1st Generation Tundra as an overland platform (pop-up truck camper viability will be later). What questions do you have or what would you like to know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179