NT 5X8 Aluminum Trailer?

ryanmcrist

hey folks
looking to build a square-drop trailer on the aluminum 5x8 bolt together trailer. I plan to limit this to forest roads at the most (no rock climbing).

https://www.northerntool.com/produc...ility-trailer-kit-1715-lb-load-capacity-49802

QUESTIONS:
  • Have any of you had durability issues with this platform?
  • How would i go about extending the younger to stiffen the trailer? I hear some people are not using aluminum to do this?
  • I plan on upgrading the axle to timbres or torsion. Any concerns?
  • Also considering adding 6” to each side, attached with bolts and welding (Aluminum brazing). Have any of you tried this?

The quotes i have received for custom frames are outrageous. Trying to Value-engineer this

thanks!!!!

HaveeBear

that's a pretty light frame. why the need to upgrade the axle? especially if you're not rock crawling, etc...

are you adding the 6" to cover the tires?

I think I saw your post on another forum as well....

gatorgrizz27

If you’re set on aluminum, you want it to be bolted together than welded, if it’s going to be used on rough roads or off road. Any trailer will flex, welding tends to make aluminum more brittle and I guarantee it will crack and fail at a weld. Guys even have this problem with duck hunting boat trailers, it doesn’t need to be extreme off roading, just rough.

Teardropper

upgrading the axle to timbres

Before you go with Timbrens, look at the recommended frame strength that's needed to install them. Me? I'm a fan of Dexter Torflex axles.

8YXqeQk.jpg

Tony

oldnslow

Observer
Looking at the "Features + Benefits" tab, it says 45MPH max towing speed.

That would be OK for hauling trash to the landfill, but not for a camper.

Reactions: plh

pigsammy

Upgrading axle, tongue, and adding on to the sides will likely cost as much when done as buying a heavier more suitable trailer from the start.

Teardropper

The quotes i have received for custom frames are outrageous.

For a fabricator to weld one up from steel? One thing you might consider is buying a flux-core welder, finding a mentor and welding one up yourself.

hOuIKkS.jpg

dQpQFRC.png

2 x 2" .120 steel tubing is easy for a novice to weld.

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears