OBA air tank mounting dilemma

Loober

Adventurer
I have an 02 tacoma and am planning out my on board air system...got everything figured out except the mounting location of the air tank. I am looking at the Viair 2.5G or 2.0G tank, which measure 7"H and 23.5" long for the 2.5 and 19"long for the 2.0G. I have researched various forums and some say that the 2.5 fits right above the axle underneath the bed. Ideally I would like to mount it where the spare tire is but that is not an option right now since I have no other means to mount the tire elsewhere. Doing some rough measurements it seems like the top of the axle would get awful close to the tank when it is at bump stops. Also the 23.5" length of the 2.5G also seems questionable.

Has anyone done this with success if so what tank did you use and where did you mount it, keep in mind the spare tire loaction cannot be used.

Thanks

taugust

Adventurer
That is exactly what I did. I think I have the 2.5 Gal. I shortened the mounting legs so that the legs are nearly in contact with the tank. This removes about 1" from the height. Then I mounted upside down under the bed, just over the axle. The spare tire is making solid contact with the tank in place. I have had no contact issues to date. Come to think of it, my 4" lift blocks may have something to do with that. I have a Tuff Country 5" lift.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Unless you want to run some air tools

If you already have the OBA compressor installed, YOU DON'T NEED AN AIR TANK

:ylsmoke::costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Oba

I mounted mine up high under the floor, about 20" above grade. I don't do any rock crawling over crazy boulders so I am not too worried. 3/8 steel with grade 8 1/2" bolts. It shouldn't go anywhere.

OBA-s.jpg

Loober

Adventurer
I got an ARB compressor as a birthday gift which fueled the OBA idea, as far as CO2 goes, I plan adding an ARB locker up front so i will need to have a compressor anyway, having both seems very inefficient. I think I got it all figured the tank should be fine under the bed in front of the spare. I got the compressor mounted, now its time for the tank, ill post tome pics soon.

Oh and ARB is the ******** for providing that wiring loom with the compressor, made the electrical part a breeze.

Dont worry i got the high output model compressor not the dinky one, so it should be fine filling tires...

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
OBA tank

I have two tanks on my tundra,one is mounted above the spare tire in a crossmember and the other is mounted in a side frame. Both protected and still easy to get to.
trucklfitinstall033.jpg
DSC00440.jpg

taugust

Adventurer
In response to some previous comments, there is no body lift, it's all suspension and I haven't had any problems with axle wrap. Here are some photos from my install. The tank, as stated is over the axle, with shortened mounting legs. The compressor is mounted under the left fron corner of the bed. A chuck is mounted to the rear bumper. I have the pressure switch with relay from Viair and an LED switch mounted in one of the knockouts under the radio.

Attachments

• DSC_8409Low.jpg
    DSC_8409Low.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_8416Low.jpg
    DSC_8416Low.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_8419Low.jpg
    DSC_8419Low.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 55

Forum statistics

Threads