OBD II reader. Best bang for the buck?

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Even with a Mac, there are still several options: https://www.google.com/search?q=obd...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You can still get a cheap ELM-327 based reader. There are USB and bluetooth versions...The bluetooth versions are just about the same price. They should work with ANY bluetooth enabled device, independent of OS....Thats where the app/software package comes in, just get something compatible with your device, and the ELM327 should work with it, be it phone, tablet, laptop or desktop....

Or you can spend $70-$130 for a ELM327-based/software package...Like from ScanTool.net ..At least with the combo package, you usually get tech support for both hardware and software...Where as if you get the cheapy ELM327s off Amazon or ebay, then go source separate app/software, tech support may be a little more difficult, especially if you use a FREE app or software...

I bought a generic $16 ELM327 off Amazon. It connects to both my Win7 laptop and Win8 tablet....I just havent found any free software I like yet...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Are you just looking for a code reader/resetter or do you want something to permanently mount in the vehicle? I've got an Ultra-Gauge in my DD mazda pickup and a Scangauge II in my 4runner, both of them work very well for seeing and resetting codes, but if you are looking for something you can switch between vehicles, they wouldn't work that well.

OTOH, I'm something of an "information geek" so I like the fact that I can monitor engine and transmission temps, real time MPG and DTE - Distance to Empty - using these devices.

Primarily looking for a diagnostic tool, though the devices you mentioned do sound useful...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've got some expensive Snap-on and Craftsman stuff in my garage, but I've also got a floor jack and $2.00 multi-meter from harbor frieght that I'm just as proud of, that get used just as often.

Reason being? They all work amazingly well for their intended purposes.

In short, I'm not opposed to spending some coin, but I also don't want to waste money.

I'd like something that can talk to my 2001 trooper, my wife's 2007 Ford edge, and if possible a 2010 FJcruiser and 2004 Toyota matrix...

Are all those covered under the umbrella title of "OBDII" code reader?

Thanks in advance.

OBD-II is both a communications standard and connector standard that became mandatory in the US in 1996. Prior to that the manufacturers used whatever connector and protocol they wanted to. I've always understood that the big driver was emissions - for there to be a common way to test the emission system on all vehicles.

There is a basic code set that any generic OBD-II reader will support and will probably meet your needs.
uobd2-elm327-bluetooth-software.jpg

At the next level, there are extended codes that are vehicle specific - a product like Launch X.431 will do a lot of this.
X-431-DIAGUN_0103.jpg

Finally, there is the secret-sauce stuff that requires very expensive hardware and software and is very manufacturer/model specific. For instance, there are various special devices just for programming Land Rovers (we have a couple, because different models / years = different diagnostic equipment). It's less likely for an individual to have these, but an automotive shop has to have them for certain tasks.
c5d5dfb495.jpg

Based on what you are trying to do (and budget), a generic or a X.431 type will probably suit your needs.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I use a Craftman scanner that I picked up on sale from Sears for $80. Its nice and reliable, works on my 98 Mitsubishi, 04 BMW, wifes Audi, moms Mercedes, friends Yotas, etc. Im sure there are better ones, but this works well for me. I take it on trips with me all the time.

Here is a quick youtube on it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I use a Craftman scanner that I picked up on sale from Sears for $80. Its nice and reliable, works on my 98 Mitsubishi, 04 BMW, wifes Audi, moms Mercedes, friends Yotas, etc. Im sure there are better ones, but this works well for me. I take it on trips with me all the time.

Here is a quick youtube on it.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank's for the recommendation!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
OBD-II is both a communications standard and connector standard that became mandatory in the US in 1996. Prior to that the manufacturers used whatever connector and protocol they wanted to. I've always understood that the big driver was emissions - for there to be a common way to test the emission system on all vehicles.

There is a basic code set that any generic OBD-II reader will support and will probably meet your needs.
uobd2-elm327-bluetooth-software.jpg

At the next level, there are extended codes that are vehicle specific - a product like Launch X.431 will do a lot of this.
X-431-DIAGUN_0103.jpg

Finally, there is the secret-sauce stuff that requires very expensive hardware and software and is very manufacturer/model specific. For instance, there are various special devices just for programming Land Rovers (we have a couple, because different models / years = different diagnostic equipment). It's less likely for an individual to have these, but an automotive shop has to have them for certain tasks.
c5d5dfb495.jpg

Based on what you are trying to do (and budget), a generic or a X.431 type will probably suit your needs.

Thanks for all the info!

paxford

I use an Actron pocket reader from Autozone for about $65. Reads and clears codes, nothing more, but it works.

pugslyyy

I have the bluetooth OBD on my fuso - allows me to check/clear codes rolling down the road. All I've really seen is engine over-rev when I downshift too soon. Still, nice to be able to clear it and shut of the check-engine-light and make sure I'm not masking something more serious.

98GP

Observer
I am interested too.
Is there a reader out there that can read transmission errors too?
Will transmissions give coded errors thru the OBDII?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Best bang for the buck is actual tuning software on a laptop. Plug in and you can change shift points, idle, timing, rev limit, fuel injector timing ect. Even a pure rookie can fool around enough to make some improvements or get a real eye on what's going on. As far as reading codes then you can read the code then read the sensor that the code points you too. It may be not connecting or dirty so since you can read it you can fix it with out just a WAG (wild azz guess) that a code reader gives you. I know thats not what you were expecting but it may be cheap enough for your engine that it's the best bang for the buck considering all it does.

pugslyyy

I am interested too.
Is there a reader out there that can read transmission errors too?
Will transmissions give coded errors thru the OBDII?

Absolutely, if it is a modern vehicle. These days you can talk to every device in the vehicle through the OBD2 interface - you just need the right hardware and software. What make / model / year are you specifically wondering about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179