OBD monitors

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I'm not sure about this, but I am thinking that the software may be more relevant than the scan tool itself. After all, it's the software that has to interpret the data that is coming out of the ECU.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I agree, but the factory MUT-III reader gets all of the information from the ECU that it needs from the OBD socket, so... as I see it, you just have to find a scan tool that can parse that information to some software that can understand it.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am currently awaiting the delivery of a new scan tool and am hoping that I will have some luck with this one. Mind you... if history is anything to go by, I'm not holding my breath.

objet

Thats fantastic, does it tell you what anomaly placed it into limp mode?
Had suspected dirty fuel, engine light came on, couldn't rev over 2000rpm. The code was P1093 all fuel related issues. Cleared the code, changed filters, added new fuel, all good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I agree, but the factory MUT-III reader gets all of the information from the ECU that it needs from the OBD socket, so... as I see it, you just have to find a scan tool that can parse that information to some software that can understand it.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am currently awaiting the delivery of a new scan tool and am hoping that I will have some luck with this one. Mind you... if history is anything to go by, I'm not holding my breath.

I'd love to see the spec for the MUT-III extended codes. If we knew what it was it would be relatively easy to query them.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Sadly, the scan tool that I bought from China was yet another fail when it comes to reading the data out of my 2010 FG84.

This was a Chinese clone of the genuine Delphi DS-150E and used a cracked version of the TCS CDP For Cars/Trucks Diagnostic software.
It looked like there was a possibility of success, as the software did actually list various year models of the Fuso Canter.
Unfortunately, despite there being an option for my year model truck I was unable to retrieve any accurate data. A fault code was shown, but I have not confirmed if this was an actual fault code or not. Like other scan tools I have tried, this tool/software could not delete that fault code.

Delphi_01.jpg

As previously mentioned, this was a Chinese clone and the genuine Delphi scan tool and software may actually work, but I don't have a couple of grand to test that possibility.
Argh well... the search continues.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I'm surprised this is so complicated for the Fuso. For my Mercedes truck I bought a £650 kit off ebay which included an old dell laptop with a cracked copy of Mercedes Xentry/Star software, a load of cables for all types of Mercedes vehicles, and an interface/multiplexer box that sits between the laptop and the diagnostic port. The software works exactly as Mercedes intended for reading and deleting fault codes, watching real-time data, etc

Do Mitsubishi have proprietary software? What do the dealers have that cannot be cracked/copied and sold on ebay for end users like Merc owners?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Sadly, the scan tool that I bought from China was yet another fail when it comes to reading the data out of my 2010 FG84.

This was a Chinese clone of the genuine Delphi DS-150E and used a cracked version of the TCS CDP For Cars/Trucks Diagnostic software.
It looked like there was a possibility of success, as the software did actually list various year models of the Fuso Canter.
Unfortunately, despite there being an option for my year model truck I was unable to retrieve any accurate data. A fault code was shown, but I have not confirmed if this was an actual fault code or not. Like other scan tools I have tried, this tool/software could not delete that fault code.

View attachment 309383

As previously mentioned, this was a Chinese clone and the genuine Delphi scan tool and software may actually work, but I don't have a couple of grand to test that possibility.
Argh well... the search continues.

Probably the same one that failed to read my 2012....I had a few posts detailing what went wrong with the seller's advert claims, and various other things.

nick"- Yep, FUSO and Mitsu have proprietary coding, which is the real issue. I'm sure there's nothing particularly special about what the system is reading, it's just in a slightly different language. The other thing is that you have a couple of choices when buying the MUTSIII system - either go OEM, or chinese clone. OEM being much more expensive, of course. And finally, FUSO changed their system at least once, so there's more than one MUTSIII reader type out there. Of course the newer the truck, the more expensive the system. I think last time I checked the OEM MUTSIII for 2011+ is around $3KUSD. I've pretty much resigned myself to eventually getting one and having it on board during travels.

Interesting though, that the software package that Skifreak got is different from mine - our screenshots are completely different.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The two issues with developing aftermarket Fuso diagnostic software/hardware are

1. It's a non-standard format, different from the rest of the Mitsubishi line
2. It's a low density / low demand solution.

So at the end of the day it takes a lot of effort to develop a product that not a lot of people are going to be interested in.

If there was money to be made in it, someone would be doing it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I take it YouTube didn't help?

I'm a guy, so seriously.... why would I read manuals or look at instructional videos? ;)

Sadly, it's not just my inability to use the software, it's an inability for the software (or scan tool) to interpret the Fuso data.
This is the 5th scan tool/software that I have tried and the 5th one to fail the task.
I have not tried one of the Chinese clones of the MUT-III as yet, as the cheapest one of those is over $500, ranging up to $1000 with additional "features".

Personally, I do not blame the Chinese sellers for their lack of technical knowledge on these scan tools. After all, normally you are not dealing with a manufacturer, just someone trying to sell the stuff based on the information they have been given.
When buying stuff from China I work on the theory that I ask as many questions as I can, try to decipher the Chinglish replies I receive then ask more questions to try to clarify things. If I decide to buy, I write off the cost as you would for sample products. I always hope that stuff will work as described, but more often than not there is something that does not work as it should. Ya pays ya money and ya take ya chances...

The old adage that "you get what you pay for" rings pretty true when it comes to a lot of the Chinese stuff.
Having said that, I have done some really good deals with Chinese sellers and continue to buy direct from China, as some of the things I have bought have been really good value for money.

Interesting though, that the software package that Skifreak got is different from mine - our screenshots are completely different.

That's easy to explain...
Different scan tool and different software.

The MUTT-III is specifically a Mitsubishi scan tool, whereas the Delphi DS-150E is a shop tool for use on multiple vehicle types.
As can be seen from the image I attached, it looks like it should have been able to be used for my truck, but alas, it did not work.

The seller would have simply looked at the software and seen that my model of truck was listed and assumed that it would work.
As I said, the genuine Delphi DS-150E and software may work, but this clone and cracked software did not.

I have not given up hope on finding a relatively cheap scan tool that will work on my truck, but I am not holding my breath either.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hey Czechsix...
It would be great if you could try your MUTT-III on earlier Fuso models than your own.
Given that yours is a clone of the actual MUTT-III scan tool that is meant to work on these Fuso trucks, there is probably a higher chance that it might work.

As I mentioned previously, I think that the software plays a significant role here. It may be that the scan tool you have now will work perfectly on your truck if using the current software.
The test for this would be if you could plug your MUTT-III clone into your truck and use a dealer's computer and software. The challenge here would be finding an accommodating dealer that is willing to help you out with this testing.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Ski - good chance that the software will work, but the problem is the interface unit. According to my ever so helpful Chinese seller (NOT MY FAULT! NOT MY FAULT! I SOLD YOU GOOD PRODUCT! PLEASE RETRACT NEGATIVE RATING!), the software was updated through the 2013 model year.

OK, so lets do this: Yabanja/Allan - do you want to test this MUTSIII unit on your truck? If so, you want to split shipping costs with me? I can fire it off to you FedEx or UPS, it's already in a Pelican case that just needs a zip tie, tape, and a shipping tag to get from point A to point B. Once you're done with testing, you could send it back to me, or alternately if the damned thing works for your rig....make me an offer on it! Or maybe send it on to Pugsllyy for further assessment?

Thoughts?

yabanja

Explorer
Ski - good chance that the software will work, but the problem is the interface unit. According to my ever so helpful Chinese seller (NOT MY FAULT! NOT MY FAULT! I SOLD YOU GOOD PRODUCT! PLEASE RETRACT NEGATIVE RATING!), the software was updated through the 2013 model year.

OK, so lets do this: Yabanja/Allan - do you want to test this MUTSIII unit on your truck? If so, you want to split shipping costs with me? I can fire it off to you FedEx or UPS, it's already in a Pelican case that just needs a zip tie, tape, and a shipping tag to get from point A to point B. Once you're done with testing, you could send it back to me, or alternately if the damned thing works for your rig....make me an offer on it! Or maybe send it on to Pugsllyy for further assessment?

Thoughts?

For Science I would love to try it!

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman