OBD2 bluetooth readers..

Itsavanman

Adventurer
so modern electronics knowledge waved bye bye to me about 10 years ago.. I swear I am the last person on the planet to not own a smart phone.. After discovering a gps and internet supported topo map app, I have decided that yeah, thats enough to want a smart phone haha.. but I am also looking at a Bluetooth enabled ob2 interface for my car, so when I am towing, I can turn on the app, and see coolant temp etc etc, on the fly. so, is there a generic obd2 reader interface, where I can pick and choose what app that listens to the obd2 reader? I don't want to spend 100 on a code reader. I see there's quite a few wireless readers from $10-40. Does anyone have a good cheap combo of app and reader that just displays basic (obd2 generic) information? mostly I would be interested in coolant temperature and misfire information. again I see there's plenty of obd2 readers that do what i want, but there all over $100, ive already got a real scanner that does everything and more, but isn't something i can just strap to the dash. also this is so I don't have to modify my brandy new vehicle with temp gauges etc. any input would be great!

cyclic

Adventurer
Android uses a Bluetooth adaptor that runs $10 to $25, and the software "Torque" runs $5. They work great on ever vehicle I own.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I don't own of of these Bluetooth/WiFi readers, but when I looked into them I realized that this is another case in which Apple's goofy proprietary Bluetooth implementation makes an Android device a better choice for this app. I am an iPhone fan, but if this is your first smartphone, I'd lean toward an Android device.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
disagree. Im an android fan, but iphone is best for new users. Less ways to screw it up. more safeguards built in.
though it is annoying that when connected to hte reader i have no internet.

David_h

I've heard good recommendations for the ELM327. I bought one however never had a chance to use it yet since it is lost in my house being so small doesn't help. I ran out to harbor freight and got the $100 hand held scanner and it does the trick for working in the garage. Still hope to use the Elm with my iPhone, iPad, or laptop soon for real-time on the road stuff. The hand held does real time too.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
disagree. Im an android fan, but iphone is best for new users.
iPhone has a better user interface, but does not work with a lot of third party Bluetooth devices, unless they are Apple certified. And even some that are Apple certified don't work reliably. From personal experience.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have an Android phone with an ELM327 reader. Overall cost for the app and OBDII reader was less than $20 I believe. It's worked out really well for me so far. I can keep an eye on everything, read and clear codes, and even adjust small things and perform tests, like adjusting idle RPM and ignition timing, and switching a cylinder on and off. It's a pretty cool and simple setup.

I use an app called Car Gauge Pro, which for all intents and purposes is a truly terrible app. The user interface is really horrendous, but it allows me to make adjustments. Torque is a much better app all around and is better for monitoring purposes.

Oh, and for mapping, I use Backcountry Navigator.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
I have used both apple products, and android.. I DESPISE apple.. I think its rotten to the core (lol) mostly because of their rapid obsoleting and non support of products.. I Have an android kindle, and for simple browsing and looking, and using that aforementioned topo map ap, its okay, anything more in-depth and I would like to chuck it out a window.. being a PC guy since the mid 90's (I still remember windows 3.1 haha) I'm pretty set in my ways.. I looked at some screen shots of torque, and that seems to me what i should get, total cost involved $20.. sounds like a good deal to me..

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Because stuff like this is used over wifi...
But if you get an Android phone, you don't need to screw with WiFi because it actually works with Bluetooth the way it's supposed to. And there seem to be more OBDII readers for Android than for Apple, regardless of communications mode.

Ghostyman

Observer
Another +1 for the ELM reader and Torque on an Android phone.

My Jeep has a very basic dash with no tach and idiot lights instead of gauges for the oil and coolant. I use Torque as a tach and to monitor water temp and oil pressure and didn't have to bother with swapping the dash and sensors.

Also very handy for dealing with CELs.

Total cost is right about $20 ($15 reader and $5 Torque app)

AKClay

I have an ELM Bluetooth adapter and I run an Android based stereo and use the torque app on it as well as on my phone

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
But if you get an Android phone, you don't need to screw with WiFi because it actually works with Bluetooth the way it's supposed to. And there seem to be more OBDII readers for Android than for Apple, regardless of communications mode.
and you get stuff that isnt supported, fragmented app ecosystem and the list goes on

dont make this into an apple vs android. I do the exact same thing an android can do when it comes to this function. /end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears