OBS 350 as Platform?

billiebob

New diesels definitely suck.... as you know with the 1500 eco diesel. New gas is wonderful if you have the budget.

With cost of gas vs diesel fuel even old simple diesels like the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke lose any advantage unless that advantage is towing 15,000#.
Occasionally towing 10K# is the target of new gas engines and even old engines like the 460.

Stick with gas..... buy whatever the budget allows but there is nothing wrong with an older V8 and a clutch. New is hardly more reliable.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
New diesels definitely suck.... as you know with the 1500 eco diesel. New gas is wonderful if you have the budget.

With cost of gas vs diesel fuel even old simple diesels like the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke lose any advantage unless that advantage is towing 15,000#.
Occasionally towing 10K# is the target of new gas engines and even old engines like the 460.

Stick with gas..... buy whatever the budget allows but there is nothing wrong with an older V8 and a clutch. New is hardly more reliable.

Fuel cost isn't everything. Even accounting for PPG difference, diesel is much more efficient. Diesel is much more energy dense and loaded with a camper you cannot replace torque. I HATE how gas engines need to rev to get into the power band, even the newer ones. My 2001 F450 weighs 9k unladen and gets better mileage than my buddies Taco. Newer diesels are a different story with all of the various systems, complications and crowded engine bay. So in short I'd say (IMHO) if going new, gas 7.3 or the bigger Chevy/Dodge gas offerings. The New slushbox 10sp trannies are a marvel. If going vintage, 7.3 PSD diesel or Cummins. Older Duramax are great but I can't abide the low profile droopy frame. Also don't get the Class 5 weight rating of the F550 or 5500 et al.

Explorerinil

Observer
Fuel cost isn't everything. Even accounting for PPG difference, diesel is much more efficient. Diesel is much more energy dense and loaded with a camper you cannot replace torque. I HATE how gas engines need to rev to get into the power band, even the newer ones. My 2001 F450 weighs 9k unladen and gets better mileage than my buddies Taco. Newer diesels are a different story with all of the various systems, complications and crowded engine bay. So in short I'd say (IMHO) if going new, gas 7.3 or the bigger Chevy/Dodge gas offerings. The New slushbox 10sp trannies are a marvel. If going vintage, 7.3 PSD diesel or Cummins. Older Duramax are great but I can't abide the low profile droopy frame. Also don't get the Class 5 weight rating of the F550 or 5500 et al.
Look at the torque curve of the 7.3, you’ll be impressed with that, with the 10 speed trans, 4:30 gears and 35 inch tires i rarely see over 2500 rpm. I’ve actually been driving as easy as possible and trying to keep my rpms low, to save fuel. I can go up a steep grade and rarely downing below 9th gear. I’m really impressed with this set up from ford, for a gas engine they really did their homework and listened to customers.

We had a 1995 with a flatbed. As soon as we didn't need it anymore, I sold it. Haven't regretted it once. Watching the chassis twist in the mirror on the mildest offroad work was disconcerting. The 7.3 Powerstroke was fine, but it wasn't anything special. Our 2001 has a 6.8 V10 and it does just as well with everything it has seen so far. I'm dragging a Suburban home tonight, so we'll see how it does with a heavier trailer.

GoinBoardin

Observer
No doubt there's a cool factor to the older trucks. And yes they're easier to afford up front. Not too bad to work on yourself. Like stated though, there are various reasons they don't make them like they used to. I'm on a Ford specific forum and the general consensus there is to avoid these things if you're not up for turning wrenches yourself. They can be money pits, especially in a shop, and still not perform very well. Anything from, how to fix "x" random hard to diagnose issue, to "why do these things make so little power, AND get terrible fuel economy?" comes up regularly.

On the other hand, a '17+ alumaduty is a different tax bracket type of truck. Can't have an honest discussion of relative merits of new/old without considering the financial side. That's where a '11-'16 6.2L gas SD might be a good balance. If the OP's finances make cost a non issue, then I'd say go test drive trucks from all eras and decide what you like. Having a good local shop for the old stuff would be important too, in my opinion.

Explorerinil

Observer
I would rather do maintenance than have a monthly truck payment. This is/was my first Ford owned and has been super reliable. I did the mods on it. I am the third owner. It has hauled, and towed everything I have asked it to. I'm super happy with it. 460 gas, 5-speed.

View attachment 730623

View attachment 730624

View attachment 730625

View attachment 730626
I worked for a guy out of high school in 1999, he had a 1995 f350 four door long bed 4x4 with the 460 he wanted to sell me for 7500. It was mint with 50k on it, and I couldn’t get a loan back then, I sure do miss that truck. It looked close to what you got.

We had a 1995 with a flatbed. As soon as we didn't need it anymore, I sold it. Haven't regretted it once. Watching the chassis twist in the mirror on the mildest offroad work was disconcerting. The 7.3 Powerstroke was fine, but it wasn't anything special. Our 2001 has a 6.8 V10 and it does just as well with everything it has seen so far. I'm dragging a Suburban home tonight, so we'll see how it does with a heavier trailer.

Follow up on this one. The V10 Super Duty tows at least as well as the OBS Powerstroke. Loaded trailer weighed somewhere around 8,500 lbs, so it was a bit lighter than the skid loader we used to pull with the old truck, but it was way more pleasant.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Follow up on this one. The V10 Super Duty tows at least as well as the OBS Powerstroke. Loaded trailer weighed somewhere around 8,500 lbs, so it was a bit lighter than the skid loader we used to pull with the old truck, but it was way more pleasant.

And you probably got 6mpg with a tailwind lol. I think it's a stretch to say the V10 will tow better than the 7.3 Powerstroke OBS, it really depends on which flavor of Super Duty and its rating (dually or not etc). I've had a V10 F350 Super Duty, OBS 7.3 and now a Super Duty 7.3. I will say V10 is a value right now. Because its so thirsty. Great engine, popped a valve at 175k and grenaded the engine. It was a really cheap long block though. Sold my OBS 7.3 with 327k. No blow-by but the entire truck was falling apart around it. And I mean every handle in the vehicle broken. Including tailgate latch. Probably replaced the CPS four times, fuel bowl rebuild every 100k, injector wiring harnesses every 150k. etc.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
^^bs, a 20 year old 2v v10 gets far better mpgs than 6 with a tailwind.
I own one with 200k, full time 2k lb pop-up camper and live at 7000' elevation. In town constant 12-13mpgs pulling 2 atvs all over Colorado and four corners area , on the. highway a solid 14mpgs.. bil just sold his 2003 24' mini Winnie with a v10,
Never got less than 9 pulling a Honda crv all over Colorado to Alaska and four corners area.
All this new technology in trucks is great but certainly not worth $60k or more and still get 10-15 mpgs towing their toys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12