OBS FORD 350 PSD FWC FB Hawk build

Motafinga

Adventurer
Bowdown on your fabwork very nice! I'm curious how she's holding up and if you'd do anything differently now that she's been out in the wild for awhile now. I mounted a utility / tool bed on my obs and alaskan combo and had to revamp the bed mounting system after some shakedown runs to play nice with all the frame flex the truck has. It was definitely fighting itself trying to flex before I re-did the mounts.
I must admit I love the idea of a side entry flat bed some day!

Mako1114

Adventurer
Here's a couple pictures as it sits today with the under bed boxes mounted. At this point the list to finish is: Nerf bars reinstalled, trailer hitch, spare tire and tools to change, roof rack basket on top of cab in front of camper and a front bumper and winch assembly. For this I'm trying to find an old school Warn winch bumper like on Pappa Wheelys. But, I'm not having much luck so I might end up building one as close to those as possible. If anyone knows of one somewhere please let me know. Thanks

View attachment 409022

View attachment 409023

You're rig turned out great and your fabrication skills are very impressive. I'm sure you could probably build a warn style bumper for less but Buckstop offers a Vintage series that looks pretty close except for the grill guard which i'm sure could be ordered without.

Cheers

buellconvert

You've definitely got a keeper in your "final wife" as long as it's offroady looking, gotta love that!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

offroadrolls

Observer
Bowdown on your fabwork very nice! I'm curious how she's holding up and if you'd do anything differently now that she's been out in the wild for awhile now. I mounted a utility / tool bed on my obs and alaskan combo and had to revamp the bed mounting system after some shakedown runs to play nice with all the frame flex the truck has. It was definitely fighting itself trying to flex before I re-did the mounts.
I must admit I love the idea of a side entry flat bed some day!
Thanks!... 2 years later. We've now clocked about 15,000 miles on over 20 excursions. Thinking back, I'd say the biggest disappointment with the build was retaining the front springs when doing the shackle reversal. They worked fine on the highway but on any kind of off road they were unbearable. I tried to get a hold of the company Papawheely recommended to have some softer springs made but had no luck. Then one day while driving my 99 F450 Super Duty Box Truck I went off road with it just to see what its front springs felt like. Compared to the camper on the same road they were super soft. So, I found a company that made a shackle reversal kit for putting Super Duty front springs on the front of and OBS 350, "PMF Suspension". They worked with me to sell me only the parts I'd need to convert my previous conversion. Next I got a set of Super Duty springs for a 99 F350 from SD Truck Spring.com....Problem solved.
Here's a photo of it with our Zuki Dingy in tow. We were getting ready to leave on one of our favorite trips. Camping at the top of McClure Pass then down the hill in the Zuki and over Kebbler pass to Crested Butte first thing in the morning for breakfast. Then on up to Gothic and over Schofield Pass to the Crystal Mill and on in to Marble for lunch @ Slow Groovin' BBQ. Then back to the camper to relax for the evening.IMG_5249.JPGIMG_6277.JPGIMG_4546.JPGIMG_4552.JPGIMG_4556.JPGIMG_4567.JPGIMG_4585.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman