observation rack

jabsled

hi im new on this site, have bin doing alot of reading and the work you all do on here is great, i was hoping someone might be able to help me out,i have a 1991 suburban that i would like to build a safari type rack that also doubles as a place to sit up on and hold weight of a few people,it has factory roof racks but how they anchor is just to the roof and im sure that wont hold to much weight, any ifo would be great.thanks for you time guys&girls johnny b

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
The roof will support your weight in a chair (see pic)...that said, after I took that pic, I custom-built a roof rack and attached it via bolts through the roof.

The rain gutters will work for a short period of time to support a rack, but not for a couple people, they'll pull out (trust me).

My recommendation would be custom rack bolted to the roof. Use lots of sealant :)

Attachments

• DSC_0137 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0137 (Large).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 56

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I built what you're after for my '79. It was not a highly valuable truck, so I screwed it directly to the roof supports under the outer edges of the roof. I sat up there, with company and without, for the duration of the 2001 Baja 1000.

79Subindriveway.jpg

If you can figure out a way to get it all the way across the country it's yours. I'm serious. It is leaning up against the back of my garage waiting for who knows what. I have a vague idea of cutting it down to fit the my FJ60 project, but I could just as easily build something new.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I'm going to build a big party-deck on top of Mah Deuce, which is just a little bit bigger than a suburban, and I'm going to build something that's probably a more extensive than you're after - but that high up in the air, I don't want anybody falling off. I'm going to use solar panels as the floor, and it will have guard-rails that fold-up. Best place I found with info and tech about these kind of platforms was actually some random nascar tailgating forum. Those guys are nuts. Lots of good ideas though (and some really bad ones too).

jabsled

thanks for the offer ntsqd but i wouldnt know how to get it out here without a road trip lol.
what did you make the frame work out of?evldave thanks also about the rain gutter tip. also planned on lots of sealant.thanks again for all your input and time guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger