odd engine trouble

Skidmarkart

Observer
I am trying to track down a strange engine issue and I wonder if any of you other Montero owners might have experienced the same or a similar problem. Recently, my Monty developed a belt squeak. It's an '04 with 145K, so I figured that it was just an old belt. I had the belt replaced at our neighborhood shop (who are fine for small jobs, not sure if I would want them to do a top end rebuild or something like that though). The squeaky belt noise went away, but I was left with a minor new squeak or at least one I could not hear over the other noise before. Maybe a pulley? Anyway, it is high pitched squeak from the front of the engine.

Over the week this noise has gotten progressively worse, still not loud mind you, just worse than it was before, and this weekend, when I was cranking up, something seemed to slip and the engine would not start for several tries. It would turn over fine, but felt almost like it was not getting gas (there was plenty of battery and it turned over normally just would not catch). Finally it seemed to catch, and then it ran fine the rest of the way home. Any thoughts? Could it be time for another timing belt? When I got it it, the T-belt had been done but the PO could not remember the mileage (thought it was between 80-90k)?

If anyone has experienced a similar issue, any advice would be appreciated.

Superu

Explorer
Your don't mention which belt was replaced, but I would suggest checking the alignment of whatever the belt was driving to see if it's off slightly. I know on earlier generation Subarus this was a common issue that occurred after an power steering belt change. The guard in front of the pump got slightly askew and the result was a sound very similar to what you've described.

I'd say it's worth a look before you go down the pulley road.

Good luck. :)
P.S. have owned 3 Monteros myself and still pine for my 95 SR.

Skidmarkart

Observer
Your don't mention which belt was replaced, but I would suggest checking the alignment of whatever the belt was driving to see if it's off slightly.

I am pretty sure it was the generator belt, but I could be wrong about that. I'll check into the alignment, it's a cheap place to start anyway.

grandpa

The '04 has a single serpentine belt for the accessory drive. It could be a pulley or bearing. Does it squeak with the AC off? These can be hard to track down because the high pitch noise is hard to pinpoint when the engine is running, and can't be heard with the engine off. Does turning the steering wheel make any difference (power steering pump)?

Skidmarkart

Observer
The '04 has a single serpentine belt for the accessory drive. It could be a pulley or bearing. Does it squeak with the AC off? These can be hard to track down because the high pitch noise is hard to pinpoint when the engine is running, and can't be heard with the engine off. Does turning the steering wheel make any difference (power steering pump)?

Well described... I can stand at the front of the engine and tell the sound is coming from there, but it is impossible to pin-point the noise. Yes, it does have it with AC off or on. The mechanic that replaced the belt just said serpentine belt, but I thought the truck had a couple of different belts, I thought the receipt said something about generator on it. Stering doesn't seem to make any difference but I will double check this tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998