Odd Whistling/Rumble Strip Sound When Driving?

TravelTacoma

Observer
I was hoping that some of the other Tacoma owners can chime in on this issue I'm having. It is very odd. When I am driving on the highway and get to 70 MPH+ I get this really odd, very annoying whistling noise that emanates from the front passenger side mirror area. It sounds exactly like the noise that occurs when you are riding the rumble strip along the highway! The clincher is when I crack the window even slightly the noise quits. I think that some type of vortex is occurring between the window and the mirror, thus causing the noise. Is anyone else having this issue?! I have a 2013 DCSB. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because it is driving me nuts.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Question... do you have the OEM roof rack? I found that I hear the rook rack on the passenger side on the rare instance my wife drives my 09 DCSB. I do not hear the same noise on my side of the truck. Other than that, it here anything on the mirror itself that is loose?

Box Rocket

Is your rear window down at all? On a double cab if your rear window is down at all you'll get a "buffeting" noise from the air. Cracking the front window will change the pressure and make the noise stop.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I get that on occation at freeway speeds when there is a cross breeze. From my research, here are the possible reasons:

Vortex around mirror like you said
Windshield is not properly sealed
The black trim piece on your roof that hides the mounting points of a factory roof rack is loose

Take your pick. If it's #1, you could try taping/tying something to your mirror or antenna to try to disrupt the air flow.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I've experienced something similar with two different trucks. On my 2010 Tacoma, it turned out to be improper sealing of the weather stripping around the windshield. However, this situation was not affected by rolling down the window.

On my 2007 Dodge Ram, I had a similar sound when driving through strong cross winds. The only way to resolve it was to crack the window.

Arktikos

Explorer
If it's not too much trouble you could remove the mirror to test the theory. That, or stay under 70 mph.:)

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thanks Guys

Here are answers to your questions:

I didn't spring for the factory rack, and I have checked the mirror mounting points for something that would make vibrations, but I found nothing other than everything was nice and tight. The truck is only 5 months old, with less than 12,000 miles on it.

All windows are completely up and the weatherstripping around the windows looks solid on inspection - no cracks or deformations.

I haven't checked the windshield surround, but I am going to do that today. I will also check the trim piece that covers up the OEM rack mounting points. Thanks SIZZLE!

Plannerman, I wouldn't mind driving around with all four windows down all year, but it heats up here in AZ pretty well about June and it may get a bit uncomfortable! Right now is perfect for 4-70 AC though!

Stay under 70?! Then the snow birds would run me over with their RVs!!!http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Good luck. I vaguely recall there being a TSB on this. I drove around with a toll of masking tape applying tape to the windshield and door windshield frame until the sound stopped. Then I went into the dealership with the tape on and told them the molding was loose. They reglued it and I haven't had a problem since.

Sent via fat thumb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater